Mental and fire powers

Display Name

I had heard that there was a good combo of power sets that were related to mental powers and fire but I don't remember exactly which witch was which!?

Mind Control/Fiery Assault or Fire Control/Psionic Assault?  Is one of them a "better" combo?  What would be a good Epic Pool set to go with them?

Happy New Year!

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

They both work well in very different ways.

Fire Control is weak defensively for a Control set, and having Drain Psyche to mitigate that with +Regeneration is nice. Also, running Hot Feet and spamming Fire Cages so the mobs don't get to run out of the area and out of Bonfire takes a lot of Endurance, so the huge +Recovery boost that you get from it also helps.

However, the combination that you probably heard about is Mind Control/Fire. Unlike other Control sets, Mind has no debuffs on its powers, it's all lockdown or nothing. And because permanently locking down a spawn is a lot harder than a mix of locking down and debuffing, Mind Control really likes to have a secondary that can clear the mezzed spawn fast. Fire Assault has no debuffing also, so it likes to shoot at controlled mobs rather than debuffed mobs. Dark/Dark stacking -ToHit may not care as much if mobs get to shoot back a bit, but Fire Assault really doesn't want to get return fire. Mind's ability to Sleep an entire spawn without aggro, then single-target Hold/Confuse works well with Fire's high single target damage that clears the mezzed mob fast and goes to the next one.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Coyote said:

Fire Control is weak defensively for a Control set, and having Drain Psyche to mitigate that with +Regeneration is nice. Also, running Hot Feet and spamming Fire Cages so the mobs don't get to run out of the area and out of Bonfire takes a lot of Endurance, so the huge +Recovery boost that you get from it also helps.

So we are going to forget how fire/psi doms can take out a 8 man group with ease? Because last time I remember i used to farm with a fire/psi and had no end issues. I mean between patron powers/incarnate abilities/perma doming, what end issues? 

If you're going to be fighting vanguard/ praetorian foes, that's a diff story as they resist mezz pretty well. But again with incarnates filling the gap should be an issue since you have an incarnate abilities that restores end plus offers recharge and +recov or patron abilities. End game fire/psi dom should be fine

• Like 1

Um... that was exactly my point, are you agreeing or arguing? Fire/Psy works well, because Psy helps defensively. Fire/Rad or Fire/Nrg, for example, wouldn't work nearly as well. And the point about end issues was that Drain Psyche takes care of them, but if you were running some other secondary, you would be likely to have end issues due to Hot Feet.

So, again... Fire/Psy is a good combination, probably the best secondary for Fire.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coyote said:

Um... that was exactly my point, are you agreeing or arguing? Fire/Psy works well, because Psy helps defensively. Fire/Rad or Fire/Nrg, for example, wouldn't work nearly as well. And the point about end issues was that Drain Psyche takes care of them, but if you were running some other secondary, you would be likely to have end issues due to Hot Feet.

So, again... Fire/Psy is a good combination, probably the best secondary for Fire.

Oh my bad I really misread your post lol. 

• 2 weeks later

Fire/psi was an old farming set. Favors melee, clears fast granted you hang out in melee. Synergizes well.

Mind/fire is more specialized on lockdown and single target damage, but can confirm it clears +4x8 reasonably fast at 50 with the fire epic pool.