'Telekinetic' FX for Mental Manipulation/Psionic Assault

So! With the success of 'Soul Noir' FX being spread from Darkness Control to each and every other Dark powerset we have, perhaps we could take the more 'modern' FX and animations from Psionic Melee and Force of Will and apply it to some of the Psionic Powersets? Naturally this would be quite difficult to achieve for a blast set with what we have, so it will most likely work best for Mental Manipulation and Psionic Assault. 

So! By looking at animations and range, I was pondering what stuff we can swap around in order to create a new 'Telekinetic' FX for these two powersets;

Shared Powers:

PsionicAssault Subdue.png Subdue/Subdual - For this we can use a sped up version of Force of Will's 'Weaken Resolve' power. ForceofWill WeakenResolve.png

PsionicAssault MindProbe.png Mind Probe - For this we can use Psionic Melee's 'Mental Strike' power. PsionicMelee MentalStrike.png

PsionicAssault TelekineticThrust.png Telekinetic Thrust - For this we can use Psionic Melee's 'Telekinetic Blow' power. PsionicMelee TelekineticBlow.png

PsionicAssault PsychicScream.png Psychic Scream - For this we should use Force of Will's 'Wall of Force' Power. ForceofWill WallofForce.png

PsionicAssault PsychicSiphon.png Drain Psyche - For this I propose we use Psionic Melee's 'Mass Levitate' Power. PsionicMelee MassLevitate.png

PsionicAssault PsionicShockwave.png Psychic Shockwave - For this I propose we use Force of Will's 'Takeoff' Power. ForceofWill Stomp.png

Mental Manipulation Powers:

MentalControl BuildUp.png Concentration - For this I propose we use Psionic Melee's version of 'Concentration'. PsionicMelee Concentration.png 

MentalControl WorldOfConfusion.png World of Confusion - For this I propose we use Force of Will's 'Unleash Potential' power, with the same bubble. ForceofWill UnleashPotential.png

MentalControl Scare.png Scare - For this we can re-use Force of Will's 'Weaken Resolve' Power. ForceofWill WeakenResolve.png

Psionic Assault Powers:

PsionicAssault MentalDart.png Psionic Dart - For this we can use a sped up version of Force of Will's 'Weaken Resolve' Power. ForceofWill WeakenResolve.png

PsionicAssault MentalBlast.png Mental Blast - For this we can use a sped up version of Force of Will's 'Project Will' Power. ForceofWill ProjectWill.png

PsionicAssault PsionicLance.png Psionic Lance - For this I propose we can again use Force of Will's 'Project Will' Power, though perhaps with the alt FX animation that projects it from your hand ForceofWill ProjectWill.png

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 2

I wouldn't be opposed to altering the Projectile FX or the "On Character" FX... but changing the character animations themselves seems a bit much. I know it's -possible-, MA and SS both get alternate animations and there's various blast options, but I feel like it's a lot more work than needed to get the effect across.

Doing the TK Thrust arm-push with the "Psychic Power" headglow and the TK Fist appearing to blast the person through the air instead of the "Glowballhands" would probably be "Enough"

And it would avoid the "Speed Up/Slow Down" animation work required to get this option functional.

I wonder if there' a "Projectile Scale" function the Devs could mess with? Then just use the Project Will projectile for all kinds of psychic attacks but make it bigger or smaller to show relative power level.

Also Psionic Tornado should have the "Psychic Power" headglow as an option... Frankly even Mind Control Powers could use that as an option and it would be scrumptuous!

38 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

I wouldn't be opposed to altering the Projectile FX or the "On Character" FX... but changing the character animations themselves seems a bit much. I know it's -possible-, MA and SS both get alternate animations and there's various blast options, but I feel like it's a lot more work than needed to get the effect across.

Doing the TK Thrust arm-push with the "Psychic Power" headglow and the TK Fist appearing to blast the person through the air instead of the "Glowballhands" would probably be "Enough"

And it would avoid the "Speed Up/Slow Down" animation work required to get this option functional.

I wonder if there' a "Projectile Scale" function the Devs could mess with? Then just use the Project Will projectile for all kinds of psychic attacks but make it bigger or smaller to show relative power level.

Also Psionic Tornado should have the "Psychic Power" headglow as an option... Frankly even Mind Control Powers could use that as an option and it would be scrumptuous!

Costume wiise, my Mind/Kin uses a bright white "Glow" aura set to his head.  Looks great paired with the Hat, Mask, and Trenchcoat.

8 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

If speeding/slowing animations is an issue, there are few animations already present in Psychic Blast's 'Psi Assault' customisation that could potentially be used for this concept too. Though, I don't think its much of an issue anymore, with how Snipe got reworked.

With that said, I think it's entirely possible to separate the animations from the FX, as we have already seen with different powersets, but I think there are some certain powers that would look strange like this (Mind Probe and Telekinetic Thrust most of all). so it could be possible to use the older animations with new FX, and vice versa.

Edited by Tyrannical