Explain to me the variable damage cap logic, again?

Shred Monkey

I can understand Brute's having 200% more damage cap than everyone else so they don't get their inherent power cut off... but explain to me again why Blaster's an additional 200% lower than others?  Oh, yeah...and by the way, it cuts off their inherent power... so... Seriously... I'm pretty sure I used to know the answer to this 8 years ago, but for the life of my I can't make logic out of it now.

I'm trying to ask this without sounding like a complaint or begging for a change... I really just want to understand the philosophy in play, here.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

3 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

I really just want to understand the philosophy in play, here.

Blasters Primary/Secondary is pretty much Damage/Damage with utility..  Playing a blaster requires you to think how to play and adapt to the situation, they have ranged attacks, melee attacks, and control powers. 

Brutes - w key forward, hit AoE, and face roll with the keyboard.  No challenge when  you don't have to think much.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

4 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

I'm trying to ask this without sounding like a complaint or begging for a change... I really just want to understand the philosophy in play, here.

Simple: it wasn't changed when Defiance was added, and wasn't changed when Defiance was changed.

When the Blaster damage cap was set the only "damage ATs" were only Blasters and Scrappers, and they got a higher cap than everyone else (500% vs 400%).

When Brutes were added they were supposed to be a hybrid Tanker and Scrapper on a side that had neither; they started with less damage than Tankers and built up to more than Scrappers (with the original 850% damage cap); Fury decayed faster then and you had to be going all the time just to keep it above 70% (+210% damage) and rarely ever got above 80%. Changes have been made to reduce the bipolar performance of Brutes by making it easier to maintain Fury but knocking the highs down (lower damage caps, faster decay past 80%, each point only giving +2% damage instead of +3%), but the Blaster cap just stayed the same.

When the first Tanker buff patch had Tankers going to a 600% cap I argued that Blasters should have it before the "damage as a secondary" Tankers should in order to make room for Defiance the same way that the higher cap for Brutes makes room for Fury. A few people came in commenting that Blasters didn't really need any more damage, and several patches and Tanker damage cap reductions later it settled on 500% (at the same time the Brute cap was reduced to 700%).

• Like 2