Origin Content

I remember in articles and interviews about the games development, the creative team originally imagined that character origins would play a greater role, and they would up essentially being utterly irrelevant.

I've got a couple ideas I would love to see implemented as the HC team ventures into more of their own additions to the game.

1) origin-based mob spawns in appropriate missions - you could be working your way through any arc or maybe radio or tip missions, and in addition to the regular stuff on the map, an extra group shows up specifically to hunt your character, determined by your origin. If you're magic it might be CoT or Pantheon, if you're Natural it might be Council or Malta, tech could be Nemesis or Clockwork, Science could be Crey, Mutation could be the Lost, etc. Maybe this would require creating new radio or tip missions, maybe it could just be a new feature. Whatever works best.
and it could even tie in to. . .

2) AT respecs! - Ever get a whole bunch of levels on a character only to realize you'd rather completely remake them? This could be a specialized respec which allows you to re-pick your primary and secondary ability sets! Your AT would not change but your powersets would! I imagine there being 5 origin based respec trials, themed around breaking down the source of your characters power-type. Magic would prove themselves to some powerful entity, Natural might defeat some combat master, etc etc. And at the end, characters of the matching origin would receive an AT Respec allowing them to re-choose their power sets. Other origins could help but might only receive a badge to show they have an advanced understanding of another source of power, maybe an accolade for doing all 5.
It could require running 5 origin-tip missions to unlock, maybe, and maybe it should be restricted to characters 25+ so they'd have to know what they were giving up before the re-roll.
I WOULD LOVE TO HELP WITH THE WRITING OF THESE MISSIONS, btw.

It may never happen, but I figure there's a better chance if I put the idea out into the world!

Edited by SpookTheHerd
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I drawed things:

Gallery of my CoH Pantheon

The second idea has been asked for before.  Several times.  Mostly, it seems, by people who want to farm their way to 50 and then switch to something else without having to do it again (and again, and again...)

The first, at least, is new (as far as I know).

I can see how the AT Respec idea could be exploited.  I wonder at what point people will tire of proving they can farm to 50 in an afternoon. How many 50's do you need before that loses it's edge?

At the very least, having to acquire a tip and run a trial means a player would have to explore the world outside AE though!

The origin-mob idea is kinda similar to the quantum spawns that hunt khelds. It could probably use a similar mechanic to determine when it happens.

I drawed things:

Gallery of my CoH Pantheon

4 hours ago, SpookTheHerd said:

AT respecs! - Ever get a whole bunch of levels on a character only to realize you'd rather completely remake them?

/jranger. 

It's been asked before, and always shot down for the same reason - it's very exploitable in that it allows people to level an "easy" powerset and then respec into a "harder" (late blooming for example) powerset.  It also risks producing characters the player doesn't know how to play properly.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

While AT respecs sound good and I don't have any particular problems with it personally it would likely be considerably more involved to make happen than we'd think.  Although there's certainly precedent in the Comics, like the time Superman got split into a pair of Blasters, Red and Blue.

I can see the point about playing an early maturing combo and swapping to a late maturing one I don't know if it's really a problem.  Still, it's likely more trouble than it's worth to do and our volunteer Dev team already has their hands full.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler