Level 10 PvP Trial

Mark

- Something fun that new players who are interested in PvP can jump right into after a few DFBs

- Capped at Level 10

- 4 v 4?

- Cool rewards/buffs that would encourage players of all levels to queue?

Why level 10? I think it would be the perfect balance of skills in a PvP setting without being overpowered. The higher you level, the more jack-of-all-tradesey your character gets. Level 10 forces players into more defined roles. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

While i agree with your general idea of trying to get people into PvP, I think it would be better to invest into the PvP zones to encourage people to go there instead of a trial.

Some ways you could do so

-Add repeatable story arcs to the PvP zones that take place in the zone itself. I know that goes against traditional CoH but this is PvP. These would give increased rewards.

-Add Giant Monsters that give increased merits/super pack drops? to encourage people to go there. Kind of like the AV's in RV, those could also get increased rewards for spawning and killing them.

or you could make it so only 1 proc per power goes off at a time and disable incarnate abilities in pvp.

Edited by Super Atom

8 hours ago, Mark said:

- Something fun that new players who are interested in PvP can jump right into after a few DFBs

- Capped at Level 10

- 4 v 4?

- Cool rewards/buffs that would encourage players of all levels to queue?

Why level 10? I think it would be the perfect balance of skills in a PvP setting without being overpowered. The higher you level, the more jack-of-all-tradesey your character gets. Level 10 forces players into more defined roles. 

I'm down with this.  I've repeatedly said the only way I'm likely to engage in PvP is if everyone has the same tool set (think Atari's Combat).  At lvl 10, "optimal" builds will be very similar and very easy to achieve.

Who run Bartertown?

53 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I'm down with this.  I've repeatedly said the only way I'm likely to engage in PvP is if everyone has the same tool set (think Atari's Combat).  At lvl 10, "optimal" builds will be very similar and very easy to achieve.

Exactly!

Considering one of the best things the HC team has done is take pvp IOs and make them drop like ordinary ones, I rather doubt the HC team or most players are going to be in favor of any rewards no matter how trivial being connected with PvP if they are even remotely wanted by players who do not want to pvp at all.

I personally think the answer at least to pvp balance is not to be using our characters at all. They could instead create story driven pvp events were we use the same tech in those story arcs where we become other characters, to have players take on specific abilities and roles that will be logical in the context of the stories and hopefully well balanced between the sides. Kind of like Champions online tried with its halloween werewolves vs hunters pvp event I have a vague memory of.

It should be just purely for the funsies though. If those into pvp cant find 8 or 16 bodies to fill such an activity it will just show how little real pvp interest in this community there is.

4 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Considering one of the best things the HC team has done is take pvp IOs and make them drop like ordinary ones, I rather doubt the HC team or most players are going to be in favor of any rewards no matter how trivial being connected with PvP if they are even remotely wanted by players who do not want to pvp at all.

Going all the way back to my days in UO - across time one thing that nearly the entire non PvP community agrees on, no PvP unique rewards with PvE effects.  That's seen (not entirely incorrectly IMO) as an attempt by a minority to gatekeep the Good Stuff and to force unwilling victims players into PvP zones.  The consignment store made it a little more palatable in the OG days, but only a little.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)