Is my thinking flawed on builds?

I was told this game had come back up after a long absence, which also happened long after my brief return some ten years or so ago. Before that I had officially left the EU servers around maybe I9. I joined as I4 hit.

For any veterans from around either of those times, especially the earlier ones will tell you, a lot has changed. Just logging on and going to character creation screen there are many new things. But, one very simple but effective thing that struck me was the sectional questions leading to play style and the archetypes, each with a number scale 1 to 10 on attributes. I imagine this would have put a lot of builds in to context had this been there from the start. Many make perfect sense, tank lowered on melee damage but highest survive-ability. Scrappers being the reverse. Blasters a full 10 and not much in survive-ability (haha yes that is how I remember it)

I found myself looking at these numbers and thinking of old builds I had seen in my past. While they may have been changes since, and I could be remembering incorrect observations, there were a lot of builds and even powersets that do not appear to maximise these figures.  What I did not notice was when it came to others stats. Like support and controllers. In hind sight made sense. Controllers could take empathy, and while the effects were fine, not as powerful as a defender empath. I did not remember at first blasters having high melee or decent. But... I did have a energy/energy blaster I was getting used to. So, my memory is coming back. But there were and still are blasters using control powers and survive-ability powers. Or so it seems to me. 

But, am I reading this wrong? My examples are things like devices looks more a control or support as does radiation to me.

Edited by Lodestar_1977

Those numbers are broadly indicative about the AT in general but we have enough tools to take our characters way off the beaten track if we want to. It's one of the best things about the game. Different powersets, power selections and IO sets can significantly change a character's strengths and role.

I'd take them with a pinch of salt.

Those numbers are a relative guide at best.  They do not even truly apply to every base build in the Archetype pre working on it with all the toys in the game.  For instance Ice Blaster would not really fit Blasters graph.  It has less damage and more control than those bars indicate.

Once you get into building a character with Invention Sets, in game buff from P2W vendor, base buff machines, Incarnate Powers, Accolade Buffs, and above all talent the numbers are almost meaningless.

For instance I was just in a discussion with someone who has soloed every Task Force except one with a Sentinel.  I believe them.  But I have difficulty getting a Sentinel to do anything truly effective.  The truth behind their statement drives a stake through the heart of those bar graphs and plants it in a coffin.  Sentinels are believed by many to be nearly impossible to power game with.  (okay, by me anyways) So talent has a lot to do with going beyond design.

Having said all that it is a good general look at what a character can do, graphically.  Brutes do high damage and have high survival.  Blasters do very high damage and nit much else.  Unless you have talent.  Then you can make them survivable and do magic with one.  

That is what I was thinking. It is a guideline, not hard rule. And that is before we get to other factors you mentioned. I do also feel they are a good at a glance look at the rough concept. Also good inspiration for the character I may wish to choose.

Also I figured the control aspects on blasters as the example may be welcome to get away in a pinch. I did wonder how effective they would be, even if appreciated for solo or in a party. I know as a scrapper a buff was a buff and always welcome.

• Like 1