Water/* Blaster or Corr

killerdestiny

Hey all, I am having a hard time picking between Corrupter or Blaster. I would like to help the team the best way possible.

Either through Water/Cold Corrupter and the -res they bring

Or Water/time blaster and the damage a blaster brings

This will one of my end game builds. So money is no object.

My other kitted out endgame characters i love are Fire/rad blapper. and TW/Bio Scrapper. 

I am totally a power gamer and the feeling like im leading the damage charge does give me my kick, but also knowing im helping the team makes me feel good too.

Plus i would rather not face plant on +4/8x. Anyone with a good build willing to help me decide?

Okay, so I know you didn't mention sentinel, but  I feel like you might be discounting the Sentinel's contribution to teams with their ability to off-tank for the squishies and their innate defense reduction and damage boost on their target.  If you like scrappers, consider that a Sentinel can be somewhat like a ranged scrapper.  Now with that said, I'm still pretty new to the game and unfortunately can't offer a lot of great build advice, I had actually considered both of those character types myself, but I've been having too much fun exploring the sentinels for now.  Admittedly water sentinel wasn't my favorite as their attacks are kinda slow, so I didn't level it up very much yet..  Maybe when it gets more attacks it will feel better.

55 minutes ago, Hardboiled Hero said:

Okay, so I know you didn't mention sentinel, but  I feel like you might be discounting the Sentinel's contribution to teams with their ability to off-tank for the squishies and their innate defense reduction and damage boost on their target.  If you like scrappers, consider that a Sentinel can be somewhat like a ranged scrapper.  Now with that said, I'm still pretty new to the game and unfortunately can't offer a lot of great build advice, I had actually considered both of those character types myself, but I've been having too much fun exploring the sentinels for now.  Admittedly water sentinel wasn't my favorite as their attacks are kinda slow, so I didn't level it up very much yet..  Maybe when it gets more attacks it will feel better.

thanks for the input. I might have to look at Sent again. To me they dont offer much to a team. Blaster brings damage, and corr brings the -res or other buffs/debuff but sent doesnt do anything atleast my fire/fire sent didnt at 50 but left him naked. Not enough boom and no team game in return for the lack of damage. 

Yeah.. I kinda thought that the sentinel was a "selfish" AT at first too, but I would suggest the sentinel is actually doing more than they "feel" like they're doing. Some of the confusion with sentinels comes from a misunderstanding of "opportunity".. where I think many people don't realize that the sentinel has both a passive debuff that all of their attacks apply to their target AND a "triggered" buff/debuff. . The passive debuff..  it's -5% defense and +5% damage against the target.. which I would suggest is pretty decent teamwork.

Then there's the fact that you're playing a class that has a defensive secondary (and possible heal/recovery through defensive opportunity)  That will probably be standing somewhere between your ranged damage/support/control and the thick of the fight.  It's gonna be very easy for you to notice when a mob breaks away from the melee to go after the ranged, and you have the defenses to take some attacks at least long enough for the ranged to burn the target down or the tank to regain aggro.  I'm actually trying some sent builds now that go into presence pool in order to get both the taunt and pacify.  I'm not sure that will work out, but I think the sentinel could actually make better use of that pool than anyone else could.

The thing is, while a sentinel IS a little like a corrupter or a little like a blaster, bringing both +25% damage against hard targets as well as decent aoe to the table, it has literally traded much of it's team utility for personal survivability.

This is not neccessarily a bad thing in many cases... some trials, soloing, dualling, a sentinel could truly be an ideal partner... If I were in a duo with my stalker or blaster in Mariah's chain, I would absolutely want a sentinel beside me.

In something where there will be a lot of AV's throwing a lot of damage around, like an STF or lrsf where you might need someone to both help hit the hard target as well as off-tank the occasional hit, a sentinel could help a team a great deal.

For all OTHER content, however, sentinels fall dramatically short of the team contributions of both blasters and corrupters.

I am not saying they are bad. They are not, I just feel they are seriously overtuned and need a little love... like maybe changing their aoe numbers to ranged instead of melee... Their damage is low enough that that's not going to make them OP, but could greatly enhance their team contribution.

Edited by Frostweaver
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Frostweaver said:

The thing is, while a sentinel IS a little like a corrupter or a little like a blaster, bringing both +25% damage against hard targets as well as decent aoe to the table, it has literally traded much of it's team utility for personal survivability.

This is not neccessarily a bad thing in many cases... some trials, soloing, dualling, a sentinel could truly be an ideal partner... If I were in a duo with my stalker or blaster in Mariah's chain, I would absolutely want a sentinel beside me.

In something where there will be a lot of AV's throwing a lot of damage around, like an STF or lrsf where you might need someone to both help hit the hard target as well as off-tank the occasional hit, a sentinel could help a team a great deal.

For all OTHER content, however, sentinels fall dramatically short of the team contributions of both blasters and corrupters.

I am not saying they are bad. They are not, I just feel they are seriously overtuned and need a little love... like maybe changing their aoe numbers to ranged instead of melee... Their damage is low enough that that's not going to make them OP, but could greatly enhance their team contribution.

I agree sentinels were never really on my list. I have a fire/fire sent at 50. Feels seriously underwhelming so I wasnt considering them