The Most Epic Mercenaries/Thugs! (Please?)

Cheapshot

Looking for a super awesome Mercenaries/Thugs build with loads of cool factor. I've got a theme going where my character is using mind control to make the soldiers perform acts of kindness, so I'm not sure what a good secondary would be (I was thinking a recolored-to-purple Pain Domination or Empathy would work). Any help is very appreciated.

Edited by Cheapshot

you could make either work with either secondary, but not cheaply. 

thugs is the better choice, and pain dom is the better secondary choice if you are limiting yourself to just those two options. time is the BEST choice however, and you can make it purple. 

That would be truly epic, a Merc/Thugs MM. Though, personally, I'd go Thugs/Mercs 😄

Thugs are overall a good deal better than Mercs, and also work better with either Pain or Empathy since their Bruiser is more of an aggro magnet than the Commando, so it gets more benefit from Painbringer/Adrenaline Boost. Pain is generally better than Empathy, though Empathy does gain a bit more from mixing with Thugs than Pain... for one thing, it has +Defense buffs that stack better with the Maneuvers from Enforcers, and for another, it really benefits more from having +Recharge, so it gains more from using the pistols attacks with Force Feedback slotted into them. Not that Pain doesn't appreciate +Recharge, but Empathy really thrives on it.

However, Pain > Empathy, and Thugs > Mercs, and I would suggest Thugs/Pain. It's actually what I'm going to run with Thugs (because I matched Time with Demons).

• Like 1

Pain doesn't get a lot of attention on the forums but it's a solid MM secondary. Had a thugs/pain on live and I really enjoyed it. OTOH I could see empathy working out really well with Thugs, especially on the Bruiser. 

Poor Mercs take such a beating on the boards but I'm wondering if Empathy might shore up a lot of their issues, including not having to bother with the lackluster serum. 

Edited by tjknight
  • Like 2

What really helped Mercs for me was Traps, especially Caltrops and FFG. Keeping the Mercs alive at range, and unmezzed, was huge in having them do damage that didn't feel terribly weak. Empathy might make them stronger defensively in stats, but I don't know if it's going to make up for exposing them to melee attacks.

I hear that Storm also works well with them, largely for the same reason: melee denial.

• Like 2

I have a Mercs/cold MM I’m in the business of leveling (only 14 right now). He’s called Snow-Patrol with military snow camo... lol.

So far the shields have made them pretty sturdy. Though I wish he got Sleet before 35.

Im now leveling a Thugs/FF MM so will compare the damage. As a first glance Spec Ops really let the side down as they focus too much on CC at the expense of damage. (And since pets have no decent AI for CC most of it is wasted). Enforcer definitely better, and his maneuvers stack with shields.

Anyway going slightly off topic. I would go thugs unless you wanted soldiers. And empathy if you want more defence or pain for offence. 

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone