A question about tornadoes

I'm currently toying with the idea of making a Mind/Storm controller, pretending that the Storm powers are actually psionic. While looking into the EPP options I noticed that Psionic Mastery includes Psionic Tornado, so now I'm wondering how it compares to Tornado. Does anyone have any idea which one would be the better choice?

Edited by Liam Neeson's Wet Socks

As an atheist gamer, I don't believe in god mode

Psionic Tornado is a fairly conventional target AE attack. It's a decent enough attack.

Tornado is one of the highest damage-per-activation attacks in the game and provides a significant amount of soft control.

So it's not really one-or-the-other. They do very different things.

• Like 1

Psionic Tornado is ok.  I use it as my primary AoE attack on my Dark/Dark.  Tornado will kick it's butt in damage if you can root the targets, if you can't... they just get tossed too easily.  Psionic Tornado will keep them all grouped for follow up attacks (and its radius is outstanding).

Edited by Ruby Rocket

Scrappers ...bringing more cowbell since 2004

1 hour ago, Ruby Rocket said:

Tornado will kick it's butt in damage if you can root the targets, if you can't... they just get tossed too easily.

Either Sudden Acceleration or Overwhelming Force (my preference) in Tornado turn the knockback to knockdown, and make it a knocking-down chainsaw of not-very-mass destruction.

2 hours ago, Coyote said:

Either Sudden Acceleration or Overwhelming Force (my preference) in Tornado turn the knockback to knockdown, and make it a knocking-down chainsaw of not-very-mass destruction.

I keep forgetting about KB->KD procs...  I personally prefer tossing people for the personal gratification. lol. But good catch!

Scrappers ...bringing more cowbell since 2004

They’re very different powers with just a similar name. 

/Storm tornado is basically a pet with a tornado graphic that damage to anyone it touches and knocks back. If you slot to knockdown or use knockback protection powers (like immobilises, which Mind lacks) then it will just sit on the target doing continuous damage.

/Psychic Mastery Psychc Tornado is an AoE nuke like a fireball. Instead of a fireball graphic it has a psychic tornado graphic that moves from the caster to the targeted mobs when it is ‘launched’, but that is purely graphical. The AoE does DoT damage with a chance for a small knock up, and there is one accuracy check when you activate the powers.

Short version: Tornado is a pet, Psychic Tornado is an targeted AoE nuke.

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone