Double the (head) details, double the fun!

I'm assuming someone has suggested this at some point, but I couldn't find it so...

At the moment, there are two Head Detail selections: Detail 1 (upper head items) and Detail 2 (Lower head items).  If you wanted to make a character like a grizzled general, you'd have to decide between cigar and facial hair because you can't do both.  You also couldn't have a character with both goggles and head wings or other such combinations. 

Is there any way to double these options?  Basically, you'd have

• Detail 1 (a)
  • Detail 1 (b)
  • Detail 2 (a)
  • Detail 2 (b)

...allowing you to choose up to 2 head details from each category? It wouldn't require modifying any of the existing models as it would use the existing attachment points, it would just use the head points to attach two things instead of one.  Coding wise, I'm not sure how complicated it is, but I know it would involve duplicating the dropdowns and adding some new dBase columns in addition to modifying whatever code assembles the characters to accept the two new entries. At least in theory: I don't have any idea how much of the game is set up in the backend so I could be completely off on this.

Thoughts?

(PS: though it would be more complicated, I would LOVE to see the barbarian headbands and the tiaras available for the male characters)

• Like 3

Making changes to the costume editing process is definitely possible given how we can have different gloves/boots on each limb now. Not to mention that it is technically possible with dbedit. I don't see any reason why we can't do this, or even, say, separate head details into "top of head, eyes, mouth, and chin/jaw" sections.

Just wait until you see my chain-smoking bearded catgirl with double eyepatches.

• Like 1

Some combinations would not make much sense.  Monocle AND welder's goggles!  Cigar AND Rebreather!

However, I can certainly see that some combinations would make sense. 

It might take some vetting of which go into which categories, or maybe they just allow even the nonsensical ones, and just let clipping occur so the edge of your cigar can extend past the shell of the rebreather.

Yeah I would put all options into both lists, then just leave it up to the person picking what works for them.  It's really a decent idea.  Maybe implement the UI with one of those breakable circle things like they added to the arms and legs for the asymmetrical option.  Rather than "asymmetrical" you'd just get a second pick.

• Like 1

Alternative topic header:   Double the head (details), double the fun!

I did honestly think this thread was a proposal for two-headed characters at first.  BOY HOWDY, would that be an undertaking!

But, yeah.  Disengaging the limits of various costume details would just straight-up be fantastically awesome.

More options is best options, after all!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArchVileTerror said:

I did honestly think this thread was a proposal for two-headed characters at first.  BOY HOWDY, would that be an undertaking!

That was my first thought too. At last, I could play a Zaphod Beeblebrox tribute character! But I like the actual idea @Lyris proposed too.

• Haha 1