One-shotted enemies often don't fall down

Cinnder

Apologies if this has already been reported (I can't believe it hasn't) but if so I couldn't find it.

I've noticed this on 3 different characters now: when you one-shot an enemy (sniper shot or assassin's strike) about half the time the mob doesn't fall down.  It just stands there like a sort of ghost for a long while, even though it's dead.

It wasn't so bad with my Blaster and Corruptor, but with my Stalker it's driving me nuts cuz I keep thinking there's another enemy nearby I need to take down.

That's been in the game since fairly early on live, and there's never been a fix for it. I suspect that it's actually a communications problem between the server and your client -- you one-shot a mob, and the server sends a packet to tell the client to make the mob fall down, but the packet doesn't go through, and the client leaves the mob standing; the server 'knows' the mob is dead, so it never sends any more directions for it, and it will just stand there until there's a wider scene update and the server tells your client, "Oh, by the way, these mobs are dead", and your client updates by despawning the corpse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, srmalloy said:

That's been in the game since fairly early on live, and there's never been a fix for it. I suspect that it's actually a communications problem between the server and your client -- you one-shot a mob, and the server sends a packet to tell the client to make the mob fall down, but the packet doesn't go through, and the client leaves the mob standing; the server 'knows' the mob is dead, so it never sends any more directions for it, and it will just stand there until there's a wider scene update and the server tells your client, "Oh, by the way, these mobs are dead", and your client updates by despawning the corpse.

I had a stalker as my first and main villain from the release of CoV and while it did happen once in a while back in the day, it was nothing compared to the frequency now.  I suspect you're right that it's a server-client communication issue, but it seems odd that it would be worse now than on Live given the vast improvements we've had to communication technology in the intervening years.  'Tis a puzzlement.

I don't have any data on this, but it seems to be happening much more often since the ragdoll physics patch.  It mostly annoys me when I try to target them. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

2 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

I don't have any data on this, but it seems to be happening much more often since the ragdoll physics patch.  It mostly annoys me when I try to target them. 

Ooh, good point!  I hadn't connected it with that patch before, but I think you're onto something.

On 5/16/2020 at 10:44 PM, Heraclea said:

I sometimes wish the ragdoll code was a little more sophisticated, with limits on the movement of body parts; it can be disturbing to defeat, say, a Council Marksman and have the body lying there on the ground doing an imitation of Linda Blair in The Exorcist, except that they're spinning at the waist and making five or six turns.