SR as a Tanker

HawaiiMike

Pretty new to the game and created a Dark/SR tanker.  I was reading that SR doesn't have the resistances that invul/WP and some of the other sets do.  The char isn't too high to recreate.  Would it be better to reroll or can SR suffice as a tanking defense?

SR is kind of a one-trick pony. Admittedly, you do that one trick better than anyone - you can softcap defenses really easily, and you get near-unbeatable defense debuff resistance on top of that - but at the end of the day, you're looking at an armor set that boosts your Defense, gives some scaling Resist as you take damage, and gives a 20% recharge bonus, as opposed to, say, Shield Defense, which gives nearly as much Defense, a damage-boosting taunt aura, a teleport charge attack, and extra hit points, plus reasonably good resists.

Now, plenty of people have made SR toons and love them, so if you find the set offers you all you want, then go on and keep it. :)

Hope this helps,

Loranna

I'm currently maining an SR/Staff tank, and I love it. It's definitely very different from a resist tank though. If you want to eliminate the RNG edge case where you suddenly drop dead, then yes, reroll as a resist tank. It's a lot easier to raise +def than +res through set bonuses.

That said, /Dark is probably the optimum pairing with SR/, because the -ToHit should naturally synergize with your own +Def.

I remember arcana talking up SR tank on live because of the scaling resist combined with tank modifiers and HP. And that was prior to the io that can add extra scaling resist. Haven't tried myself though as tank isn't my cup of tea.

It's been my experience so far (leveling to 46, lots of TFs and some Praetorian AVs) that the scaling resist is more or less useless, at least prior to endgame. I guess theoretically it should hold up well against getting chipped down by the hits that break through RNG, but in my experience I don't tend to drop below around 90% just from Def+Regen. Typically the only enemies that are getting through softcapped defense reliably are very heavy hitters, so I generally only die to 1-2HKOs before the scaling resist comes significantly into play. Once I start filling out sets and adding some resist bonus padding it may be a very different story though (at least, I hope so!).