Something/cold?

Parabola

I've never rolled a cold domination anything and figured it was about time I did. I've always seen it as a set that takes too long to get to the good stuff and have been put off by that. But as an mm I would have something else to focus on while waiting for the juicy debuffs so that might work for me. What would be a good primary set to pair with /cold? I'd like to be team friendly and would be slightly reluctant to go demons or bots as those are sets I've used before. Any advice on what to focus on would be good too, I don't have much experience with mm's at all. Thanks.

38 minutes ago, Force Redux said:

Beasts would go well with cold. They suggest have some defense to stack with Cold, as well as good resists. Plus it seems thematic. I've also heard folks report strong results with Necro or Thugs.

Yeah I could see beasts/cold working thematically. Some sort of druid. Thanks.

35 minutes ago, seresibyl2 said:

Urgh. My cold can barely keep up its endurance (pre-heat loss) with just fog on... that thing is like a NOPE button for fun. 😞

That's disappointing to hear. I can throw fairly unlimited funds at the project so I might be able to work around the problem?

3 hours ago, parabola said:

That's disappointing to hear. I can throw fairly unlimited funds at the project so I might be able to work around the problem?

Unlimited funds solve most everything in CoH 😀😀

I have a Bots/Cold. I think the other user may need to assess their slotting... I've got no endurance issues as a MM.  On this or any MMs. And I have lots of mastermind of all flavors... All my MMs take and use at least one primary attack, plus Leadership, etc.

Quick Solution for the budget minded, in case others are also wanting some Endo advice:

Definitely 3-slot stamina with a Performance Shifter proc, and two End Mods (if you have the INF, one of these can also be Performance Shifter for a set bonus). This will cost about 2 to 4 million INF depending on the market. Buying on weekdays gets you lower prices.

When you can:

3-slot health with Miracle proc, Numina proc and Panacea proc (this last is pricey, so feel free to put this off). Miracle should be your first purchase of the three. 

This is my standard go to for almost all my characters. Even with only some of these in place you will notice a difference.

Don't forget to slot EndRed in your powers. Later, cold will also get you Heat Loss, a nice debuff that also buffs your recovery.  Go Cold. It's a great secondary.

Edited by Force Redux

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

1 hour ago, parabola said:

Oh for sure. That's just ungeared/no incarnates, etc. And heat loss with recharge is pretty beastly at solving end problems

The key to solving End issues with MMs isn't with the End procs. Sure they help a little but our End issues come from having extremely expensive Powers.

If you are spamming that MM AoE that most primaries get that is 18-19 End every 5-8 seconds or so (depending on recharge). A Miracle +recovery generates 0.25 a second (or 1 End every 4 seconds). It pretty obvious that Passive procs are nowhere near enough to sustain you.

What you need is End slotting in those expensive attacks. Even on my Heat Loss or Ageless builds I still need to have significant End reduction slotted into my major attacks.

I'm happy with my Ninja/Cold.   The Cold Shields realllly help keep the ninjas alive better. 

He's only lvl 26, but cold shields, plus pet-aura-IO's, plus Manuvers, plus Arctic Air = quite a lot of defense on the ninjas.  I do have to follow them straight into combat to make sure they retain all the extra defense.  But I think the Genin are like 30% defense and the Jounin are like 35% defense.  They don't get hit much.  And that defense will go higher as I get more slots in the shields (right now they have only 2 slots each?  weak, but he's still levelling)

Also, I usually have Snow Storm going, both to slow down Runners so my ninjas don't run off and aggro other groups while trying to finish off a runner, and to help reduce incoming damage that much further by making enemy attacks take longer to recharge. 

I do not use any of the MM personal attacks.  No snap shot, no aimed shot, no fistful of arrows.  I use a six-slotted-proc'd-out Infrigidate for most of my personal damage, and a few casts of Arcane Bolt here or there.   Usually my Cold powers, plus Sorcery, is enough to keep me feeling active in a fight.

Edited by MTeague

I just knocked this up. How does it look?

Spoiler

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Mastermind
Primary Power Set: Beast Mastery
Secondary Power Set: Cold Domination
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Chill Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Summon Wolves -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), TchofLadG-%Dam(7), ShlBrk-%Dam(9), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg(9), SprMarofS-Acc/EndRdx(13), SprMarofS-Dmg(13)
Level 1: Infrigidate -- ImpSwf-Dam%(A), TchofLadG-%Dam(3), AchHee-ResDeb%(3), ShlBrk-%Dam(5), TmpRdn-Acc/EndRdx(40)
Level 2: Ice Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(5), LucoftheG-Def(7)
Level 4: Snow Storm -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(48)
Level 6: Train Beasts -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Call Hawk -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), Apc-Dam%(37), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), GldJvl-Dam%(39), ExpStr-Dam%(39), CldSns-%Dam(39)
Level 10: Glacial Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(11), LucoftheG-Def(11)
Level 12: Summon Lions -- SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprCmmoft-Rchg/PetAoEDef(34), EdcoftheM-PetDef(36), SvrRgh-PetResDam(36)
Level 14: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 16: Frostwork -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(17), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(17), Prv-Heal/Rchg(19), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(19), Prv-Absorb%(21)
Level 18: Fortify Pack -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 20: Arctic Fog -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(21), LucoftheG-Def(25), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(40), GldArm-3defTpProc(40), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(23), LucoftheG-Def(23), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 24: Tactics -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(25), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(27), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(27), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(29)
Level 26: Summon Dire Wolf -- SprMarofS-Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprMarofS-EndRdx/+Resist/+Regen(31), CaltoArm-+Def(Pets)(33), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(33), CaltoArm-Acc/Dmg(33)
Level 28: Benumb -- RechRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(50), Acc-I(50)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 32: Tame Beasts -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Sleet -- RechRdx-I(A), TmpRdn-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(37)
Level 38: Heat Loss -- RechRdx-I(A), EffAdp-EndMod/EndRdx(46), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 41: Call Ravens -- PstBls-Dam%(A), JvlVll-Dam%(42), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(42), ImpSwf-Dam%(42), TchofLadG-%Dam(43), ShlBrk-%Dam(43)
Level 44: Flash Freeze -- Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(45), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Rgn-Knock%(46)
Level 47: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48), LucoftheG-Def(48)
Level 49: Hibernate -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Supremacy 
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(15), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(15)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(29), EndMod-I(31)
Level 1: Alpha Howler Wolf 
Level 1: Howler Wolf 
Level 1: Pack Mentality 
Level 12: Lioness 
Level 26: Dire Wolf 
------------

In reality I'd push things back to be able to take Call Ravens earlier. I also probably won't get away with this slotting in Call Ravens because of end use but it certainly looks nice like this!

I'm not familiar at all with building MM's - how does the slotting in the pets look? I've tried to fit in procs and uniques while still giving reasonable enhancement - in particular accuracy to the lower level pets. Is it enough?