Ties to History and Mystery

Sakura Tenshi

Basic premise of this thread is asking what real life historical events or mysteries are your characters tied to if any or if you prefer to avoid such things to not 'step on the toes of others'? I would also like to start off by saying to those who want to post just because you see someone else using an event, there's no need to worry, just share the thing you had for your character.

This topic came strongly to my mind because one of my two main heroes, Gaia Redeemer, is an ancient reincarnating soul and monster hunter, so he's basically gotten around history in more ways than can be imagined. Just a few examples I've used for him include:

• He's only been famous in two past lives, specifically as Queen Ametis of Babylon for whom the Hanging Gardens were built for and Ashur Bilit who was the first head of the Akkadian Empire. (i picked these figures partially due to their relative obscurity)
  • He claims he wasn't, but he slayed a demon once in the back alleys of early Imperial Rome's markets, the demon exploded in a burst of flames upon death and the blaze quickly spread causing the Great Fire of Rome in 61AD.
  • In another life, he Nikolai Orlov, and actually a cousin to Grigory Orolov, one of Catherine the Great's prominent lovers (which factored into his later execution)
  • Lastly, his first life he claims to have been Adam of Eden, or at least 'a version of it', and Eden was despoiled by a serpent he's since learned to be have been an early nictus, the disaster caused created what's now known as The Eye of the Sahara.

So what historical events do you tie your heroes and villains to? For extra fun, every hero or villain tied to either WWI or WWII who are not 'canon' to the game's lore, take a shot.

Edited by Sakura Tenshi

One version of the founding legend of the Roman Amazons relates them to a story told about Gog and Magog as the giants who traditionally guarded London.  In this version, rather than landing in Britain, they became the founders of New Colchis. 

Gog and Magog, or sometimes Gogmagog and Corineus, are descended from mythical pagan giants and their origins lie in mediaeval legends of the early British Kings. The story goes that Diocletian – the Roman Emperor – had thirty-three wicked daughters. He managed to find thirty-three husbands to curb their unruly ways, but the daughters were not pleased and under the leadership of their eldest sister Alba they plotted to cut the throats of their husbands as they slept.

For this crime they were set adrift in a boat with half a year’s rations, and after a long and dreadful journey they arrived at a great island that came to be named Albion,

This is not exactly history, but close enough. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Also, my character Yamnaya takes her name from the Yamnaya culture.  This was an archeological culture once found in areas of Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, and Kazakhstan.  Most linguists believe that this culture was where the Proto-Indo-European language was spoken.  They spread across Europe and the Indian subcontinent because they were the first people to domesticate horses.  The same people persisted into classical antiquity, where they were known as Scythians and Sarmatians. 

Recently, various pit-grave burials from this culture and the Scythian culture area have been re-interpreted.  Prominent graves containing chariots and weapons were assumed to be the graves of soldiers and leaders.   It was just assumed that these must have been men; then somebody took a look at the hip bones, and found out that up to a quarter of these graves were of women.  The women as well as the men had battle scars, and some apparently died violently.   Now this area, north and east of the Black Sea, was in Greek legends the home of the Amazons.  These legends may have in fact been based in historical facts. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

The closest I've come to that are Ivory's ties to Egypt during the New Kingdom period....

She's a Chronomancer from one of the City world's possible far-futures; a professional temporal observer (read: Historical Ethnologist who can actually do live fieldwork with the ancient culture she's studying) from Nova Primeva. Prior to her current assignment in Paragon City during what Ordus Chronos historians have dubbed "The Age of Troubles", she spent five years in Waset (Thebes to those Greek-types who came along later).  In-character, once in awhile she'll make the nearly-3500-year jaunt back there to visit friends.... A few of the individuals I've mentioned in the course of her conversations about the place were real people. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice