Moisture Absorption bugged?

WindDemon21

It's only giving 2.8 defense, so like the other ice armor equivalents, you would think you would get that per target hit, and given it's rech/duration, you would think that it would at least stack with itself but it doesn't.

If it's not going to do either of those things (pref not the multi per target hit unless it also stacks with itself), it needs a larger defense amount, and no reason it shouldn't have more range on a generally ranged AT.

Edited by WindDemon21

Even frigid is only like 2.5% base from what i can tell, it's at least 1/3 or less the regen version and is useless. Moisture also is really bad, low radius end uses, doesn't stack, and not even multiple defense per target hit (which should only be after they fix the stacking issue). It also has no reason to only have a 10ft and not 40ft range.

It has next to zero resists, frost protection is practically useless with perma hoarfrost, frigid needs upped, it doesn't have the -dam/-rech that the melee armor has, has dot aura which makes sense but doesn't get it made up, and temp protection should resist all.

Yeah, I tried to make an ice armor sentinel. I dragged it over the lvl 50 finish line and spent a fair amount of influence decking it out to an acceptable level. I still considered it crap. It was the last of the sentinel secondaries I tried, and was clearly the worst. While I have not deleted it, I have stripped it of useful IOs and will probably never play it again.

WindDemon pretty much covers why it is awful. Moisture absorption is a clear demonstration of how bad the set is. On every other ice set, that's the cornerstone power (pumping defense to crazy levels). On this it is single target, and actually has to be targeted. Then for that you barely get anything in defense, and you also have to use it for your endurance recovery tool. Contrast that with dark armor on sentinels where obscure sustenance is a PBAOE, but single target so you don't have to actually target anything to make it work, just be vaguely near a target. Then it gives you a heal, a bunch of regeneration for a while, and an endurance recovery boost. It's actually superior to the versions on other sets.

It's really quite odd in that a strong case can be made that sentinel sets of armor are the best versions of those sets except ice (and arguably willpower, but the change there was sort of mandatory). Ice is pretty clearly worse on sentinels than elsewhere and that's got nothing to do with the lower defensive scalar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drbuzzard said:

Yeah, I tried to make an ice armor sentinel. I dragged it over the lvl 50 finish line and spent a fair amount of influence decking it out to an acceptable level. I still considered it crap. It was the last of the sentinel secondaries I tried, and was clearly the worst. While I have not deleted it, I have stripped it of useful IOs and will probably never play it again.

WindDemon pretty much covers why it is awful. Moisture absorption is a clear demonstration of how bad the set is. On every other ice set, that's the cornerstone power (pumping defense to crazy levels). On this it is single target, and actually has to be targeted. Then for that you barely get anything in defense, and you also have to use it for your endurance recovery tool. Contrast that with dark armor on sentinels where obscure sustenance is a PBAOE, but single target so you don't have to actually target anything to make it work, just be vaguely near a target. Then it gives you a heal, a bunch of regeneration for a while, and an endurance recovery boost. It's actually superior to the versions on other sets.

It's really quite odd in that a strong case can be made that sentinel sets of armor are the best versions of those sets except ice (and arguably willpower, but the change there was sort of mandatory). Ice is pretty clearly worse on sentinels than elsewhere and that's got nothing to do with the lower defensive scalar.

Nail on the head.

Changes needed, 4x the amount of absorption in frigid shield, add back it's pbaoe -dam/-rech/-speed.

Change permafrost to resist all including defense debuff.

Change moisture absorption to basically the melee armor version, only ranged instead of pbaoe (with a MUCH wider radius), or just leave it exactly the same as the melee armor version.

Change frost protection entirely. It loses icicles for it which was a pbaoe damage aura, perhaps in compromise it could get the frost bite auto that adds cold damage to all damaging attacks.

Add fire and cold defense to the armor shields.

Edited by WindDemon21
  • Like 1

I remember before I tried ice, I had been thinking that perhaps frigid shield's absorption shield might make the set reasonable, the way the absorption shield in regen does it. Heck, regen on sentinels is excellent because of how that toggle absorption shield works. However the amount of absorption in the ice power is less than a single hit from a minion, so it is utterly worthless. I ended up respeccing out of the power.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, drbuzzard said:

I remember before I tried ice, I had been thinking that perhaps frigid shield's absorption shield might make the set reasonable, the way the absorption shield in regen does it. Heck, regen on sentinels is excellent because of how that toggle absorption shield works. However the amount of absorption in the ice power is less than a single hit from a minion, so it is utterly worthless. I ended up respeccing out of the power.

This is exactly what I thought when deciding between Ice vs electricity... it's so misleading 😞