Question on Tidal Power.

Dafydd Hywel

Today I went with Water Blast for the first time on an alt.

It's working ok so far, though obviously it's still very early days. But, (probably me being stupid) I can't seem to figure out how Tidal Power is used.

I know certain powers allow you to build up charges of Tidal Power but, I can't seem to find where this  is shown on screen or, how to actually expend them once I have some charges.

Can someone help 'clear the waters'😉 on this for me?

Think of Tidal Power as building up a potential boost for your powers.  You don't need to have it to use your powers, but it makes some powers better.

Aqua Bolt, Hydro blast, Whirlpool, and Steam Spray always give you a tick.  Dehydrate and Water Jet give you one if your less than 3 or use it all if your at 3.  Water Burst and Geyser use all your tidal power.

If you have three tidal power, some powers (the ones that can take all tidal power) give additional effects.  Like Dehydrate heals more if it hits, Water Jet immediately recharges, Water Burst will 100% of the time knock targets into the air, Geyser does more damage for every point of tidal power you have, and 3 stacks gives you 100% to disorient targets.

When you have three stacks of Tidal Power, the powers that benefit from it get a gold ring around them.

Make sense?

Charges are in top left. 

When a power turns orange, it means you're powered up. Most powers will build if youre beneath orange or consume if youre at 3.

Aqua bolt builds

Hydrobolt builds

Dehydrate will build if less than 2, consume to heal 50% more if at 3

Water jet will build if less than 2, consume at 3 to instantly cooldown

Water Burst will always consume, dealing additional damage per stack + higher chance to knock

Steam Spray always grants 1

Whirlpool always grants 1

Geyser always consumes, increasing the damage and chance to stun -- at 3, it will always stun (within its magnitude)

Tidal Focus (AIM), will instantly grant 3

Generally  Water Jet is your best "@3" power to use... but obv different situations might make the AoE a better choice. Unlike a lot of other combos in the game, its pretty beneficial to use the right power when its orange (again, usually water jet).

• 4 weeks later
On 7/16/2020 at 3:24 PM, Dafydd Hywel said:

So, if you have any charges, a power that can use them will show a ring and, simply activating the power will add in the charges?

This now seems straightforward.

Many thanks folks.😁

Yup! It's very clear when things are charged up. It's a very nice set overall for quality of life.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

You always want Geyser firing off with an Orange ring around it and as much +Damage as possible. On my Water/Temporal that means Chronos (Build Up, which is also slotted with the Gaussian Chance for Build Up) > Tidal Focus (gets you the 3 levels of Tidal and some extra ToHit and Damage) > Geyser. The Tidal raises the base Damage of Geyser as the others have explained and then your damage buffs multiply it even more. Very little will survive. 

Also sometimes if you manage to ramp up Tidal quickly twice you might find Water Jet doesn't get the Orange ring as expected. There seems to be a timeout limiting how quickly they can be reused on  a power. I think it is 10 seconds. I've noticed it mainly if I do Tidal Focus -> Water Jet -> Aqua Bolt -> Dehydrate -> Aqua Bolt against an AV or something. Other powers will have the ring but Water Jets stays normal for a few seconds.