Performance

Anthony

Hello i have a i7 4960 and a GTX 980. The game seems to not use very much of my PC's resources as I can see this when I look at task manager while the game is running, how can I make the game use more of the PC's power? Also I cannot seem to change the COH homecoming program to a higher priority in my task manager, yes i am administrator. CPU usage is barely at 20 percent While COH homecoming is running and physical memory is at 29 percent.

Does it feel like it is running slowly? What is your fps? (you can enable a key to display this in options)

I have a similar cpu/gpu and my resources are not taxed that much either, even with every option cranked to the max. My fps ranges from 40 ish in crowded areas to 80 ish while flying around.

In an area like talos island while travelling around and panning the camera typically 30 FPS sometimes drops below  max I saw it get to was 60. Inside mission maps it is much smoother even with big crowded teams. How are people getting higher FPS on their modern hardware? Is there a way to set the priority higher in task manager?

I don't think 30 - 60 fps is abnormal for a gtx 980. Sounds to me like you don't really have an issue. Adding more cpu resources will not make a 980 perform any better than it can.

Is the game installed on an ssd? That can help with some initial loading of zones, but it really seems like you are getting about the performance I would expect for what we know of your specs.

The game predates multi-core processors and was designed with XP 32bit 2 GB RAM limit in mind.  It's probably relying on a single core as opposed to distributing the work load  a modern game would do and ignoring the rest of the RAM.

Basically, you've got more engine than this game can handle so it won't push any faster.  You might be able to do some graphics tweaking to improve performance but outside of that allocating additional resources isn't going to help.

AMD 1800x

1080 ti

64gb ram (2933)

NVME X4

3840*2160 (4k)

All settings at max except depth of field (I dont like it) and AA is only 8x.

I set pretty steady at 30 fps. No matter where I go or how many ppl around so far.

GPU is usually at 50-55% load though I have seen spikes up to 95%

CPU is 9-11% (usually 9-9.2)

Threads 17-18 (I expect most are gpu driver related)

If/when the client code is updated to dx 11/12 or vulcan and worked to support x64 we could see fps skyraiderrocket. I am sure there are much bigger short term priorities however. (like enabling full physics :)

The game uses more GPU memory then system memory when running - nice to have all of those textures in my GPU (11 gb) and not have the game need to keep loading/unloading them all the time. The GPUs of the day (2004) had, what 128-512 mb ram?

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

If/when the client code is updated to dx 11/12 or vulcan and worked to support x64 we could see fps skyraiderrocket. I am sure there are much bigger short term priorities however. (like enabling full physics :)

Funny stuff

Fak NCSoft, Love Linux

I read it would just be a matter of recompiling the client to point at newer DLLs.

I hope it makes it here soon.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I don't think 30 - 60 fps is abnormal for a gtx 980. Sounds to me like you don't really have an issue. Adding more cpu resources will not make a 980 perform any better than it can.

Is the game installed on an ssd? That can help with some initial loading of zones, but it really seems like you are getting about the performance I would expect for what we know of your specs.

A GTX 980 should be able to max out this game no problem, 30 - 60 fps is not normal on that video card. Before the shutdown, I used to max out everything and run 70 FPS average on a AMD 5970 and 8 gigs of Ram.

There's a lot of people having issues at the moment with low performance. I'm getting an average of 30 FPS with this hardware:

Windows 10 64-bit

i7 6950X extreme

Nvidia Titan XP 12GB

32GB RAM

Samsung SSD

I don't think anybody has been successful at correcting this, 2 other threads below:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,2493.0.html

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,955.0.html

The game only uses 2 cores. And like all MMOs it's very CPU-dependent. So all you people with 6 or 8 core CPUs with hyperthreading, those extra cores are doing nothing for you, and why you're seeing low CPU usage. Also why your FPS is so low.

Yeah,  I used to have a intel quadcore first gen, that could still max out the game. This is irrelevant, any new gen CPU should be able to run it better than duo and quad cores from 15 years ago.

A GTX 980 should be able to max out this game no problem, 30 - 60 fps is not normal on that video card. Before the shutdown, I used to max out everything and run 70 FPS average on a AMD 5970 and 8 gigs of Ram.
Optimization depends on the context - modern GPUs are drivers are optimized for modern graphics APIs, not ones that ceased to be relevant a decade ago.

The framerate almost seems locked at 30fps randomly. It happens often when zoning. The game is running fine at 60fps with only 40-60% GPU utilization then bam 30fps with even fewer resources utilized. Yes, it is driver optimization since they are RTX cards but something else seems to be going on with 30fps since this happens often for me when loading new zones, maps, etc.

Anyone else experience?

Okay I found something.

Vertical Sync I think is being Enabled/Disabled somehow when zoning. Vertical Sync should only limit to 60 but it is for whatever reason limiting frames to only 30.

The reason I say it is Vertical Sync is that my Refresh Rate matches the same numbers I get if Vertical Sync is Enabled in Options. It doesn't show it being Enabled in options but performance numbers are identical.