Bringing goods to market

Ukase

So...I had a thought...and it's probably something many of you were already doing. But I guess I'm slow on the uptake. 

I think I must be quite obtuse..as I just thought of this, and I suspect I've been doing it wrong all this time. 

For a time, I would set my farmers in the #125 map, afk. Come back, reset. When salvage was close to full, I'd craft, convert, sell. 

If you don't know, the 125 map is a 5 mission arc of the same thing. It's small. Takes 2 minutes if I actually paid attention and played the character as designed. AFK, will clear the map in about 10-15 minutes, awaiting patrols. 

I always did these for standard rewards, never tickets. This way, I never pay for salvage. If I lack the rare to craft a drop, I just don't craft it. Sooner or later, the rares will drop. I've never run out of inventory room, as salvage stacks faster than recipes. 

I never craft the common recipes, I just sell them to the AE vendor. 

But - each mission of the 5 mission arc - I sometimes get a purple. Not usually, just sometimes. Maybe 1-2 a day if I'm going afk-farm all day. 
Then I thought...what if I went tickets? Not even clearing the map, 60 seconds will earn max tickets. 1500 tickets, 75 tickets per uncommon. 

That's 20 uncommon recipes per round, 100 per arc. It will easily burn 200 converters, just to get them to rares, (unless it's those bloody Targeted AoEs, Snipes, or PBAoE, or End Mod) 

20 uncommons versus maybe (maybe not) a rare, a couple uncommons, or just 3-6 uncommons. Or maybe 6 uncommons and a pvp. Or a purple, too. Never know. There's a lot of variance. 

If the salvage were already organized in my base (alphabetically) I think it would make more inf. than going standard rewards. 

The one hitch is the time it takes to pluck the salvage from base inventory. With 80 recipes, that would take some time that I wouldn't have to take going the standard reward route. 

Maybe just do this when character salvage inventory is close to full? 

5 hours ago, Ukase said:

If the salvage were already organized in my base (alphabetically) I think it would make more inf. than going standard rewards. 

The one hitch is the time it takes to pluck the salvage from base inventory. With 80 recipes, that would take some time that I wouldn't have to take going the standard reward route. 

Maybe just do this when character salvage inventory is close to full? 

I keep my drops and craft since I am usually PL'ing some character that I want a 50 on, but don't want the grind to get there.  Salvage in my base is alphabetical.  It takes me about 45 minutes to craft, convert and post around 80'ish recipes.

You can skip ahead a bit using tickets and roll in the 25-29 brass range to get recipes that convert fairly well to good sellers, IIRC.  That is what I used to do on live.

Well...seeing as HC's "Good sellers" are generally Defense, resist, end mods and heals, at that 25-29 level range, they'd convert into a category with a lot of options for it to convert to that are uncommon and not good sellers. 

Like in the resist category, there's the steadfast that we want...and converting from a low level resist IO can hit the jackpot, or hit any of the others several times before you get the good stuff. At level 50, the resist can be Aegis or Unbreakable from the uncommon one, Titanium Coating. 

Doctored Wounds can become Numina or Preventative Medicine. 

The Perf Shifters should have gone up in price with the introduction of the two new sets...cuz it's now that much harder to get one. But, the chance to heal sells pretty good, too. 

So, I'll stick to level 50 silver rolls - which will be one out of every 6 maps. The other 5 will be standard drops to generate the salvage to craft the silver roll recipes. 

I’ve done something similar on a challenge alt that was not allowed to buy anything on the AH.  I got him to the upper 30s before I felt I had proved the concept, but it basically required doing AE missions because: 1.  I needed specific salvage since I couldn’t buy it from the AH and 2. yellow recipes dropped way too infrequently for my tastes.  So I went the ticket route.

Some thoughts:

You have to get converters from somewhere.  My alt used merits to buy converters, and eventually used inf to buy merits at the merit vendor at 1mm a pop.  I agree with your thought of accounting for ten converters per yellow recipe, although in practice I’ve found it takes fewer than that.  But that’s what I put aside.

I think that bronze rolls at 25-29 are the way to go, despite there being more variety in sets.  I’m assuming you are farming with a 50.  This means that the rolls you make will give you the recipe at the lower of your level or the max level of the set.  Crafting level 50 recipes are throwing money away, in my opinion.  It costs almost 500k to craft, which is twice what it costs to craft a lvl 49.  I’d rather vendor 50s and buy them on the AH at lower levels.  So if you roll bronze at lower levels, you will get access to a wide variety of levels to craft, not just 50s.  And there are a lot of very lucrative IOs at lvl 30.  

On that note, if you are crafting lvl 30 recipes, you will need level 30 salvage which won’t drop on your lvl 50 farming.  I’d just buy them on the AH, but you can burn tickets for them as well if you REALLY don’t want to buy them on the AH.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

On 8/4/2020 at 10:32 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

On that note, if you are crafting lvl 30 recipes, you will need level 30 salvage which won’t drop on your lvl 50 farming.  I’d just buy them on the AH, but you can burn tickets for them as well if you REALLY don’t want to buy them on the AH.

Granted, it's not on a challenge character, or I might be persuaded to take the time. But, imo, the time of buying the requisite lower level salvage (when dealing with a lot of recipes) it becomes tedious. 

I do have an alt that only crafts/converts level 10 PvP recipes, and only keeps that salvage in inventory, simply repurchasing it in lots of 5 before they're needed. (I place the low-ball bid for 5 of everything, then proceed to use what's on hand, which was acquired through previous low-ball bids.)

I suppose I could do that with a farmer that was doing tickets only....but, nah...I'm gonna stay out of the 30's. No sense stepping on someone else's hustle. For now, my methods have worked very well for me.