Hidden ICD on Dominator Energy Assault's Total Focus triggering Energy Focus

flip

Sorry for the mouthful of a title.

Anyways, there appears to be a hidden internal cooldown on the guaranteed Energy Focus mode triggered by Total Focus in the dominator secondary energy assault. This can easily be tested in game by using Total Focus, consuming the Energy Focus buff, and then using Total Focus again. If you do not wait 15 seconds between Total Focuses (Foci?), it will not trigger energy focus again. You can do this without using a timer by simply paying attention to buff that appears on your bar, which lasts 15 seconds. This seems to suggest that it its not an intentionally built in internal cooldown, but instead just the result of an inability to reacquire the buff while it is still active. Do note that despite the buff's presence, you can not trigger the Energy Release effect multiple times.

While the Energy Focus mechanic is very neat and potentially effective, this issue has made it somewhat frustrating to use in my experience and fixing it would go a long way towards making the set play better.

3 hours ago, flip said:

If you do not wait 15 seconds between Total Focuses (Foci?), it will not trigger energy focus again

I havent played a dominator, so apologies if you answered this already and I'm just missing it.

But are you saying, you use TF, then you spend the energy focus (let's say Whirling Hands), and if you use TF again (before 15 seconds), you cant turn on Energy Focus mode again? If so, I would think thats unintentional. Whirling Hands has an effect that does an Unset Mode, which you would think would allow the reapplication of Energy Focus mode if you cast TF again.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

you use TF, then you spend the energy focus (let's say Whirling Hands), and if you use TF again (before 15 seconds), you cant turn on Energy Focus mode again?

That's correct. Well, technically speaking, you *can* turn on Energy Focus via the normal RNG mechanic of using any energy assault powers on a disoriented target, but you do not get it from TF as a guaranteed effect unless you wait 15 seconds after the initial TF that first triggered energy focus.