Island Rum: Upgrade - has it ever worked? For anyone?

jackalcoh

I've yet to ever see the Island Rum upgrade actually work.

It just sits there on the same screen "Scanning:  Beginning Upgrade"  for hours.

Never once seen it work.  Each time I have to back up all my costume and powerset files and then remove the game and do a clean install, cause I've never once seen the Island Rum upgrade actually work.

So I was curious - has this ever worked for anyone?  Or is everyone just doing a clean install each time?

Details:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) running Mojave 10.14.6.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 1.45.46 PM.png

I still don't understand the correct way to "uninstall" coh for a clean reinstall.

There's more to it than just rm -rf /Applications/coh

Because If I remove the Applications/coh directory and relaunch Island Rum is gives me a popup saying "Client not detected" WHILE IT'S DOWNLOADING A ZIP for the update.  So knows it needs to update BUT it has no client.    Meh?

So there has to be more to a clean re-install than just removing the game directory.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 1.59.20 PM.png

6 hours ago, jackalcoh said:

I've yet to ever see the Island Rum upgrade actually work.

I feel the same way but it may just be that when it works I don't even notice it happened and I only notice when it doesn't work.  That being said, there have been several times it didn't work and I had to to a complete re-install.

2 hours ago, Phigment said:

I didn't have this happening this morning but this afternoon I'm running into the same thing.  If I do a clean install, do I lose my characters and influence?  If so, can you explain how you do the back up you mentioned?

There is no need to backup anything.  All your characters and everything associated with them is stored server-side.  The only things that you lose if you do a re-install are your saved settings, saved key mappings, saved costumes, order of characters on character select screen and maybe a few other things I can't recall, but nothing that can't be easily restored after logging in and re-saving them.

10 hours ago, TJBC said:

There is no need to backup anything.  All your characters and everything associated with them is stored server-side.  The only things that you lose if you do a re-install are your saved settings, saved key mappings, saved costumes, order of characters on character select screen and maybe a few other things I can't recall, but nothing that can't be easily restored after logging in and re-saving them.

Thank you.  I reinstalled last night and was happy my characters were still there.  I closed Island Rum last night when I went to bed and when I tried to launch it this morning, I'm running into the issue of it hanging on Scanning and says Creating Holding Area 100% (I'm also on a MacBook Pro).  I haven't had this issue the last several weeks that I've been playing.  This just started yesterday afternoon.  I guess I'll delete all the files and reinstall, again. =(

@jackalcoh@Manga is adding to IR to support future patching functionality, and unfortunately one of the Island Rum versions was bugged, and was not properly installing IR updates. You may have that version.

Go to http://islandrum.eekstudio.com/ and download the latest version for your OS. A new version (for Catalina, at least) was just uploaded 09/17.

Once it is downloaded, it should automatically ask if you want to replace your current version. Once it is re-installed, you will have to go through re-enabling it if you are on MacOS 10.14 or later as it will consider it a new program so the security protocols will block it. And if you haven't already updated your wine to 5.0, IR will say it cannot detect the game client. Just click Install. You may have to restart your Mac after IR updates and installs before it will launch the game.

• Like 1

Takehai

Global Handle @Night.Fyre

Confirmed Alt-oholic....