Demons/Cold MM - Help Me Learn to Build

TygerDarkstorm

So, I am about to get my first 50 since over a decade ago, and that terrifies me! I was never very good at making builds, and things like Mids sort of confuse me. However, I want to learn how to understand building a character instead of just asking for somebody to hand me a build and me still not really understanding what it all means and not being able to build future characters. I think all this is why I have so many alts and no 50's... getting to the end game and trying to figure everything out is scary!

That said, I still don't have a patron power thing-a-majig because... well, I don't really know anything about them; i.e. how to get them, which one to pick, etc. I don't know anything about alphas or what to do there when my MM hits 50. I went chill mastery for theme; not sure if it's good or not. I have every power in the cold powerset as I was not familiar with it, so not sure if anything there is skippable. I find the only power I don't much use out of is Frostwork. And I only have 2 pool powers - Leadership and Speed. I know I probably should go Fighting and get Tough/Weave, but I'm already so toggle and end heavy as-is, I didn't want to add more to it yet.

So, with Sara Falin at level 47, I hope some of you friendly and helpful folks that are far more knowledged than myself at this stuff can help me learn how to build this character so that I may no longer feel scared about getting my toons to the level 40+ range out of fear that people will figure out I don't really know what I'm doing. 😅 And thank you in advance for any/all help provided. 

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

I'm no expert.  I had a 50 on live before IOs were out.  I have two 50 dominators and a 50 Sentinel.  I have a Demons/EA Mastermind at 35 that I'm leveling quickly up and slotting.

This is what I do for my characters.  

The first thing I do is take comfort in that I get a free respec every 10 levels, I can do a respec trial if I have to, and I can even get one from the Halloween event.  Ie.  If I make a mistake, I can fix it.  So I don't have to worry.

I also realize that I can buy unslotters from Merit Vendors if I find I put an expensive IO in a place I don't want it.

Also, this game is very forgiving.  Remember, your looking to have fun.  Because others brag they can do +4/8 doesn't matter to how you choose to play and enjoy yourself.  Do not let this stress you out.

On power sets I'm not familiar with, I search this forum to see builds other people have done and advice. 

For example, with Demons, I look at builds that are posted to see what I like or not.  For example, I have Corruption in my build for the range of the attack to pull and the -Res.  The powers Enchant Demon and Abyssal Empowerment only have their original slot because it doesn't seem to make sense to slot them.  I used to have lash but I found the range too little and I was busy with other things so I respected out of it.   I look at what other people have done, and copy what I like.  For example, my demons have a healing/absorb IO because I wanted to increase their healing and I don't mind missing one part of a pet set.  My Demon Princes holds work very well, so I didn't bother adding something to improve his holds. 

I also look at https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Main_Page to know more about my powers but also to look at Enhancement sets that would be helpful.  Remember, always buy these from the action house and buy the attuned version so that they increase level with you.  You generally want to buy sets with the largest level range you can that go to 50 (they way they continue to improve as you level and are still available if you exemplor down.)  Also, look for things that are helpful procs.  For example, I picked up the Annihilation Proc that is a chance for -Res as one of my main reasons for using Crack Whip is to reduce the resistance of enemies (it already has -Res) so my pets do more damage.  Added that Proc is just more of a good thing.  Look at what works for your build.  For example, with the Electrical Affinity Secondary, I'm slotting for resistance where your going to be slotting for defense.  Also, take a look at the defender and corruptor forums to see what others have done with Cold Domination.  It may be your secondary, but it is their primary and look what others have done in assigning slots and what they put into them.  Also look at the power reviews. 

• Like 1

So when I built my demon/cold MM I set about getting ranged defense to the soft cap as well as s/l, I also wanted some attacks in the build as to make me feel somewhat useful......or more precisely powerful. I made the sacrifice of skipping hasten( I tend do do this alot on my MM's) and went away from my normal pet slotting, while demonlings and the prince are slotted kinda like I normally do the demons are not....again this was for set bonuses. Another sacrifice I made was single slotting of ice and glacial shield, I used them for the LotG proc.  On my pets I tend to slot them with various combinations of the MM ATO to get multiple layers of the recharge bonus as well as any procs that I can fit......trying to get the soulbound proc and the impeded swiftness proc in the prince and if possible the overwhelming force proc into the demonlings. While my enhancements all say level 50 with a few level 30's I always slot with the attuned sets so they can level up with me and if I exemp down they stay.

Onto some of your questions and in no specific order.........Patron/Epic pools, if you build for theme go that way if not then go for whatever gives you what you want. Chill mastery is an excellent choice and will greatly help you achieve more defense and a nice ST blast

Fighting Pool, this is again a choice and while I take it on most of my builds it's not always needed but to hit the numbers I was looking for I had to have it for the bonuses.

Skippable powers, snow storm is the easily most skippable in the set and frostwork is skippable as well. The endurance cost of snowstorm I think out weighs it's usefulness adn besides with benumb and heat loss on the fairly regular you'll be fine.

Endurance Concerns, 3 slot stamina with the performance shifter proc and 2 level 50 IO's that you boost up(+5 each) along with heatloss will make your endurance more manageable.

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Mastermind
Primary Power Set: Demon Summoning
Secondary Power Set: Cold Domination
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Chill Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Summon Demonlings -- SprCmmoft-Rchg/PetAoEDef(A), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg(7), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), EdcoftheM-PetDef(9), SlbAll-Build%(11)
Level 1: Infrigidate -- TchofLadG-%Dam(A), AchHee-ResDeb%(3), ImpSwf-Dam%(3), ImpSwf-Acc/Slow(5)
Level 2: Ice Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 4: Lash -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(34), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(36), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Mk'Bit-Dam%(46)
Level 6: Enchant Demon -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(11), BlsoftheZ-Travel(17)
Level 10: Fly -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Summon Demons -- BldMnd-Acc(A), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg(13), BldMnd-Dmg/EndRdx(13), BldMnd-Acc/EndRdx(15), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), BldMnd-Dmg(17)
Level 14: Glacial Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(34), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(34)
Level 18: Hell on Earth -- ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(19), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(19), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(21), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(23)
Level 20: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 22: Arctic Fog -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37), ShlWal-Def(39), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(40)
Level 24: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(25), GssSynFr--ToHit(25), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(27), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(27), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(29)
Level 26: Summon Demon Prince -- ImpSwf-Dam%(A), SprMarofS-EndRdx/+Resist/+Regen(29), SprMarofS-Dmg(31), SvrRgh-PetResDam(31), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg(31), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33)
Level 28: Benumb -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 30: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Abyssal Empowerment -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Sleet -- PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(37), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(37), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(43), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(46)
Level 38: Heat Loss -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/End(39), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(39), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(45), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(46), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(50)
Level 41: Ice Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg(42), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(42), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 44: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(45), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45)
Level 47: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), StdPrt-ResKB(48), GldArm-3defTpProc(48), UnbGrd-Max HP%(48)
Level 49: Weave -- Rct-ResDam%(A), Rct-Def(50), Rct-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Supremacy 
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(5)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(23), EndMod-I(40)
Level 1: Cold Demonling 
Level 1: Fiery Demonling 
Level 1: Hellfire Demonling 
Level 12: Ember Demon 
Level 12: Hellfire Gargoyle 
Level 26: Demon Prince 
------------

• Like 3

@DocMidknight Thank you so much for taking the time to post your build and explain your choices! I really appreciate it. I feel like I may as well be a total noob to this game, lol. I'm still a little confused and overwhelmed by everything, so I guess maybe what I need to do is download Mids and sit and study things like your build and see if I can't use them to learn how to start being able to make my own. 🙂 You've certainly given me a lot to think about; thank you again for your help!

• Like 2

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

@TygerDarkstorm anytime, I've come to grow very fond of the masterminds and demons are my particular favorite as I've leveled demons paired with storm, dark, cold and thermal all to 50 with kin, time and nature sitting around 20. I learned about slotting and such here on the forums with splitting the sets to get some massive recharges and the rest from experimenting on what works for my playstyle and while there are many other far more knowledgable than I here who can make some really nasty uberlike builds. Build for fun, build something that you will enjoy to play and always remember that there's more than 1 way to build any character and what may work for one may not work for another

• Like 2