Keybind Help

BattlePig

It's been quite some time since I played last, and I have forgotten all the basics of keybinds/macros, and what I'm looking for kinda goes beyond basic keybinding.

Back in the times of yore, some Hero posted a set of keybinds that were amazing for Defender types, when you hit a number on your numpad your would turn to face and target the corresponding teammate, you could then bind your buffs/heals to the rest of your numpad, and suddenly you were the fastest/bestest buff machine in the game!

Can anyone help me re-create this, or link me to a macro tutorial/FAQ?

I've looked through all the bind guides I know of, but haven't been able to find one I'm looking to do. I know it's possible because I used it before, but have long forgotten the commands. I need to set up a two part bind for targeting specific enemies. The bind would set up the second. For example, if I was in a mission with Sky Raiders in it, and I wanted to single out Engineers, the first bind would start up the chat that sets up the second bind where I just type in the target name and hit enter.

Can anyone layout the bind command for my inept brain?

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

Go here:

The Black Spectre's City of Heroes Site

I think what you're looking for is under "Black Spectre's Binds." Lots of goodies.

Specific stuff, too.

Thanks! I'll add that to my list of sources. After looking through it, I'm not seeing the set up I'm trying to make. I'm trying to make it so that the first key command lets me type in the name I want to target, and the second key command does the targeting.

Here's an example of what I've tried, but I've gotten arg errors that I can't figure out:

/bind shift+l "start_chat /bind shift+t "target_custom

So I would hit shift+l, type in the target name and hit enter, and then use shift+t to target that name I typed in.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

Here's an example of what I've tried, but I've gotten arg errors that I can't figure out:

/bind shift+l "start_chat /bind shift+t "target_custom

So I would hit shift+l, type in the target name and hit enter, and then use shift+t to target that name I typed in.

Okay... I have a similar bind set up

CTRL+Q "beginchat /bind Q target_custom_next enemy alive "

This bind will set Q to target a specific named enemy.  Notice the space before the end quotes.  Your quote marks seem oddly placed.

Remember that the target needs to be the name, not the rank... specific vs. general.

I've also found the list of slash commands to be a useful complement to the bind guide:

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/List_of_Slash_Commands

Another keybind trick is to create a keybind with a press & release function. 

Press for power A, release for power B

You can set up a string for Press A, Release B, Press C, Release D... etc...

I did this for toggles

Turn on

NUMPAD2 "+ $$powexec_toggleon Maneuvers$$powexec_toggleon Tactics$$powexec_toggleon Acrobatics$$powexec_toggleon Mind Over Body$$powexec_toggleon Tough$$powexec_toggleon Weave"

Note that takes 3 press/releases to toggle all powers on

While this one...

NUMPAD3 "+ $$powexec_toggleoff Maneuvers$$powexec_toggleoff Tactics$$powexec_toggleoff Acrobatics$$powexec_toggleoff Mind Over Body$$powexec_toggleoff Tough$$powexec_toggleoff Weave"

Turns them all off instantly.

This is done with the + sign in front of the bind string

There is also a ++ function, though I've not really used it, myself.

Here are the notes that I've had stored away ... I can't even remember who wrote this up... Cuppa, maybe?

It might be more than what you need right now, but you might want to copy/paste it into a note for later

*** A note about the "+" and "++" prefixes in some of these commands ***

The short explanation of the + and ++ prefixes is that they represent how persistently the command will be carried out. Most of these keybindings represent "press and fire" commands -- that is, you press down on the button and the action will be performed once, until the button is pressed again.

With a "+" prefix the command will be carried out for as long as the button is pressed down, and ceases as soon as the button is no longer being pressed. For example, the default binding for the w key is +forward. For as long as the w key is pressed down your character will continue moving forward... but as soon as the button is no longer being pressed, the character stops moving.

With a "++" prefix the command will be toggled "on" and will continue to be activated until the button is pressed again, toggling it "off." If the w key were bound to ++forward, pressing the w key once would cause the character to move forward, and that character would continue to move forward until the w key were pressed again.

Any command that has a + prefix can work with a ++ prefix, and vice versa. This can lead to some redundant commands. For example, ++forward works exactly the same as ++autorun -- you run until you turn the command off.

Through trial and error, I've formed the following theory on how the "+" modifier works in binding.

The "+" modifier has two behaviors.

Behavior one: at all times when "+" is prepended to a command, it is the same as doing "command 1". Obviously this only works correctly on commands that take 1 or 0 as input. When other commands are prepended with it, it adds the 1 to the end of the arguments, and gives an error. This behavior is mirrored by the "-" modifier, which yields argument 0.

Behavior two: ( Only when directly in the bind.. in other words this does not work when made a macro which you then bind to a key! )when prepended to the first command in a bind (assuming that command is one that works with it, ie takes 1/0 argument), it gives the entire bind statement a "press/unpress" behavior. This means two things:

* a) the command prepended with the "+" turns on (aka is given argument 1) when you press the key as you would expect per behavior 1. Additionally it turns off (argument 0) when you unpress the key

* b) the rest of the commands in the bind are performed once when you press the key, and again when you unpress it

Note that this behavior is not mirrored by the "-" modifier.. it might be nice if it did at least the first part, ie turn a command off when you press the key and back on when you unpress, but it doesn't.

Side note: I am actually a bit surprised that they decided to overload the use of the "+" in this way. It seems to me it would have been more intuitive and useful to have another character modifier (> for instance) to prepend to a bind statement (without a necessary command after it) to extend the second behavior, with the addition that any commands following in the statement with a "+" would work in the on/off manner when press/unpressed instead of just the first one.

The secondary behavior of the "+" in binds makes several useful things possible. Especially when you realize that the first command doesn't always have to do something, since you can always override it with a "-" form of it elsewhere in the bind. For instance a simple yet very useful bind for fly which makes you fly only while you hold down "f":

* /bind f "+up$$-up$$powexec_name Fly"

Another behavior can be achieved by exploiting the "overwrite" effect of powers (aka if several powers are entered one after the other in a bind, only the last one will go off in most cases). A very useful binding for getting out of melee range quickly with hover is:

* /bind v "+up$$powexec_name Hover$$powexec_name Hover"

This makes you jump and then hover up in the air just out of melee range. Note the doubling up of the hover power.. this is because if you only have it once in the bind, it will turn hover on when you press it and off when you let go (usually.. sometimes the hover from press and hover from unpress go through together and one gets overwritten, but this is rare).

Why doesn't it turn on/off quickly when you press it and on/off quickly when you let go if you enter it twice? Because of the power overwrite effect.. while it is busy doing the jump when you press the button down, both hovers go through and the second overwrites the first, resulting in hover being turned on. When you let go, it stops the jump and both hovers go through, turning hover off and back on very quickly (before you drop) resulting in you being left in hover mode.

This causes a bit of spam to your combat messages window, but it's worth it. Note: the differing behavior here (ie overwrite happening on press but not on unpress) I believe is due to the interaction between commands and powers on timing in a bind, but this is just a guess.

CTRL+Q "beginchat /bind Q target_custom_next enemy alive "

This bind will set Q to target a specific named enemy.  Notice the space before the end quotes.  Your quote marks seem oddly placed.

Remember that the target needs to be the name, not the rank... specific vs. general.

Heh, figured out the command this morning during some pre-work play. But thank you none the less. Also, interesting stuff with that "+" command stuff. Gonna have to use it.

Thanks for the links. I have figured out that my old keybinds were decisively lost in the purge I did over the summer. It's going to take a lot of work rebuilding them. But for now, I'm having trouble mainly with one thing that's making it hard for me to progress: how to comment out a line. Does anybody remember? It's driving me nuts that I can't comment things out or mark sections or leave notes, and I'm certain that it's possible because I remember doing it. Does anybody know the comment characters?

I figured out the comment character. * works. I imagine any of ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) would work, since typing those is interpreted as SHIFT+1 or the equivalent number key. I haven't tested those, but I can confirm that * has the advantage of not spraying errors into your chat window when you load it.

On to rebuilding.