I'm obviously doing something very wrong.

Sakai

I've been following the  @Dacy video on Building above and below the base exactly.  I change my plot size, build a room of equally  big size, make a floor to ceiling piller thing, copy to room, enable room clipping, drop the grid thing because that sounds neat, and drag the portal to the top of the new "floor".  And then it drops down.  Not all the way to the spot of the original floor but enough so that when I /stuck to test it I end up being able to see only the tiniest bit of my head.

I have been able to place an item or two on the top but this is inconsistent as well.  

Is it possible I have some how inadvertently mucked up some general base editing set of options along the way.  The Cntrl Shift options to move around the base do not work either.  This is my second attempt to build above the base and I had a similar result the first time.

Does any of this make sense?

This is the video I am referring to.  If I am not allowed to post it here let me know and I will make it go away.  

So, yeah, what the heck?  😞  Any thoughts?  

I am guessing it will be something simple.

To place above a filled base block you need to open a ceiling tile to open sky so you can move outside to place there.  Pick a room and change style High Ceiling to Open Sky.  Fly power is also very useful to have move outside.  Once outside your Base entrance portal only sits on floor surfaces.  So fill a pillar and you can put it on top.  Other objects you need to shift to Surface placement with F5.  

• Like 1

Good advice @candles flame. To add on that, place a "Floor Tile" item where you want to build on top of. Then select any items you want to place on top and press F5 on keyboard until you are in "Attach to floor" mode. Attaching items to the floor or floor tile makes building a lot easier as you can control item rotation and relative position.

• Like 1

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

• Community Rep

@Sakai, I'm doing a shared screen class on this very thing, building above and below, teleporters, and questions, on Saturday at 2Pm CST. Join my server on Discord to participate https://discord.gg/fRReS4jq.  Sorry you are having problems! But follow along with me, and if you like, be in  your own base and try what I'm showing you, and see if it works. If it doesn't, you can ask me questions. Hope to see you there!

-Dacy

3 hours ago, Dacy said:

@Sakai, I'm doing a shared screen class on this very thing, building above and below, teleporters, and questions, on Saturday at 2Pm CST. Join my server on Discord to participate https://discord.gg/fRReS4jq.  Sorry you are having problems! But follow along with me, and if you like, be in  your own base and try what I'm showing you, and see if it works. If it doesn't, you can ask me questions. Hope to see you there!

-Dacy

Yeah I would love too. Have to work Saturdays:(

I think I have this figured out though. Your videos are a great help.