Reminder - SPAY or NEUTER your pets!

Luminara

May went into heat this morning.  I'm more than a little angry right now.

No, no, not at her.  She can't control her biology, after all.  And she's very, very affectionate right now, so it's giving us a chance to bond a little more closely.

No, I'm angry because this means she either entered her estrous cycle a month before she should have, or it means she was a month older but far smaller than she should have been when I found her.  Either of these indicates that she was even more malnourished and closer to dying than I realized at the time.  And it has me wondering how many of her siblings starved to death, because some worthless shit stain didn't have his/her cat spayed.

Spay or neuter your pets, people.  Just fucking do it.  Not because your pet is calmer, not because you want to keep your furniture clean, but to prevent baby animals from dying hungry and alone.  You have a responsibility, a moral imperative, to do that.  You also have my tears and rage to motivate you, if being an adult isn't reason enough.

Obviously, I can't take her to the vet now.  Even if the state hadn't reversed the relaxation on the pandemic control measures, the vet couldn't spay her until she was back to normal.  We'll wait this out and I'll set an appointment, hopefully before her next heat cycle (which should be some time in spring).

SPAY!  NEUTER!

• Like 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I dont like cats.  And its not their fault.  Its the fault of all the owners, specifically in my neighborhood, who do not even bother keeping their 'pets' at home, much less spaying or neutering them.  I have lost count of how many kittens have been born under my shed and around my yard.  So many ferrel cats in the neighborhood now I rarely see birds or squirrels.  

Spay and neuter your pets people, and keep them in your own area.  Leash laws apply to cats too, if I wanted cat shit in my yard I would get a cat.

I dont like cats, but its not their fault.

Edited by EmmySky
  • Like 1

• 1 month later

People who intentionally breed their companion animals because they want puppies or kittens are always defensive and whiny when I add "spay and neuter" comments in their "look how cute the babies are" social media posts.

They always fall back on "we already arranged homes for all of them," which, even if it's true,  shows they are unaware that available homes are a limited resource.  Buying an animal condemns one already in the shelter system to death, mathematically,  and home birthing doesn't change that math.

• Like 1