Remove restrictions on cross-alignment teaming outside of PVP zones

thunderforce

Right now, it is unclear - to say the least - as to when you can and can't have someone of the opposite alignment on your team. I wrote http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/games/cohrogue.txt to document what I know, but it's incomplete - and the system appears to be outright buggy in some respects; for example, recently I was trying to join a Sister Psyche run out of Ouro, but couldn't be invited to the team because I was a Rogue, even though I was in Ouro at the time. I swapped to a Hero, but when we tried to start the TF, we couldn't... because there was a Rogue on the team (who then had to leave, but how could they be invited to begin with if I couldn't?)

Rather than try to fix the bugs, or document the behaviour, I suggest a simple and obvious approach: remove all the restrictions on inviting and automatic kicking outside of PVP zones. Teams can deal themselves with the case where a Hero or Villain actually can't get to a mission.

cmdchat.c, the section starting with the comment - ah, I'd better not quote this verbatim, but pertaining to inviting the first enemy to a team in a "Coed" zone - seems like the place to address the inviting restrictions. I dunno where the automatic kicking happens.

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

They kind of did.

All you have to do is go to Null the Gull in the Pocket D and you can change to whatever alignment you want.

There is no reason to destroy the Hero/Villain dynamic of a superhero game for everyone simply because you think you should be able to team-up with everyone like there is no difference between heroes and villains.

At a minimum, 70% of the players on-line are heroes. If you want to be bad (even a little bad in your case), you have to pay for your choices. That's what an alignment system is about.

The DEVs gave you a quick way to change with Null the Gull. Use it if that's how you like to play.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

That's not what OP is asking UltraAlt. There are definitely some bugs with people who should be eligible not being able to join things because they're in a particular zone, dropping if they enter a neutral zone, team leaders sometimes not being able to call in TFs if someone zoned or quit and there's a mixed alignment team, particular transports not working for mixed teams (kahn tf is notorious for that), and other things. No idea if they all stem from one issue or are their own particular bugs but they are annoying. 

51 minutes ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

That's not what OP is asking UltraAlt.

Quite. Thank you for actually reading the suggestion.

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.