Rad/atomic or rad/fire

Calzano

Hi I am making my second blaster after I finished my first one which was archery/ta. Now I’m having trouble deciding whether to pick fire or atomic for my secondary.  Could someone tell me which would be a better option? I really like the animations of rad power sets but not sure how well the dps matches up to /fire.

I'm doing Rad/Atomic.

Fire is going to be the best PBAoE DPS, but... it does nothing but DPS. Atomic helps you survive better with an AoE Hold.

My thinking is that Rad has a PBAoE nuke with a Hold, and Atomic has a PBAoE Hold, so I can just alternate those go spawn to spawn and have every fight start with a PBAoE Hold to allow me to clear off the minions and get started on Holding the Bosses for safety.

On a team, that's less important, so for a team-only character, the controls are less important and you may prefer the DPS of Fire.

• Thanks 1

Depends what you want ofc. Atomic taking minor nerf with i27, fire isn't. Fire is a lot quicker to use than atomic, kind of essential for a blaster. Getting rooted, gets you splatted.

I have a love/hate relationship with radiation, as it does solely energy damage (bar atomic blast, which also does smashing, woot...). Energy can tear through mobs, unless they have energy resist... then you're the one swinging the wiffle bat in the room. The devs couldn't let a blaster run around with a non-resistible damage type (fire...), so radiation got energized. Atomic sought to redress this issue and added toxic damage, but.. many of the powers take a while to cast. Can't have it all (can't have anything).
You're going to have more fun playing a character true to their concept and identity than you are building a damage cannon, so perhaps stick with Rad/Atomic and immerse yourself.

• Thanks 1

Rad/fire is one of my favorite blasters because of PBAoE dots melting everything and constantly.  Hell I run synapes for fun with this alt because of how fun it is

/atomic always felt clunky and weird

Combustion>Irradiate is always fun, with blazing aura ticking away

Fire Sword Circle is strong enough on its own

Burn is.. burn.

Skip the radi cone, and skip the TAoE Bomb skill.  both are relatively low damage for their animation

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, koakelika said:

Combustion>Irradiate is always fun

, and skip the TAoE Bomb skill.  both are relatively low damage for their animation

Combustion DPA is base 27.81 (10 target cap)

Neutron Bomb DPA is 33.72. (16 target cap)

Fire Sword Circle DPA is 36.35. (10 target cap)

Irradiate DPA is 58.47. (16 target cap)

The lowest DPA, most dangerously long animation, and most skippable power here is Combustion. Combustion and FSC also have a lower target cap than the rad blast aoes.

Edit: and for reference for the OP comparing /atomic with /fire, Atom Smasher is 29.46 DPA with a 10 target cap, which sadly doesnt come out ahead of FSC.

Fire Sword also has better DPA (93.2) than Negatron Slam (72.66) and Positronic Fist (74.15)

Then /Fire also has 2 damage auras ticking while /Atomic has self recharge buffs.

Edited by DreadShinobi

Currently on fire.

1 hour ago, DreadShinobi said:

Combustion DPA is base 27.81 (10 target cap)

Neutron Bomb DPA is 33.72. (16 target cap)

Fire Sword Circle DPA is 36.35. (10 target cap)

Irradiate DPA is 58.47. (16 target cap)

The lowest DPA, most dangerously long animation, and most skippable power here is Combustion. Combustion and FSC also have a lower target cap than the rad blast aoes.

Edit: and for reference for the OP comparing /atomic with /fire, Atom Smasher is 29.46 DPA with a 10 target cap, which sadly doesnt come out ahead of FSC.

Fire Sword also has better DPA (93.2) than Negatron Slam (72.66) and Positronic Fist (74.15)

Then /Fire also has 2 damage auras ticking while /Atomic has self recharge buffs.

k