UI popmenu question

So I use AshLocke's popmenu but I have a problem with it not staying put. It seems to not want to align with the edge of screen. Also will not stay closed. 

Here is pic to show what I mean:

ashmen.jpg.4fb9b888839a727de21e03813d1d441c.jpg

Any help, tips or advice to get this to stay put and closed would be very much appreciated.

*side note: perhaps we should have a Tool, Utilities and Downloads help section? I was unsure where to ask this

• 3 weeks later

That's actually a Customwindow, a slightly different beastie used to store Macros.  Those Macros can invoke Popmenus.

Very little documentation on Customwindows, best is lower down in this Wiki article on Paragon Chat.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Paragon_Chat

/customwindow name
Creates a custom macro window titled name. Displays macros that are available across all characters. This window will only persist if your installation folder contains a /data/customwindows folder (create one if you don't have one already).

I use one to store Macros to enter bases.  And I'm familiar with them being a pain because whether in its collapsed form as a little grey box or an expanded window like in your screenshot, when you zone, move, look at them funny, they bounce around.  Or the little grey box will pop open to the window.  And if you try to resize them vertically, they jump across your UI down and to the right.

Here's my workarounds.  I'll put in a bug report about them when I get some time, but until then, these should help.

• In little grey box form, click on the box to open the window.  In window form, click on the title to shrink it to the little grey box.
  • Don't use a Customwindow for combat commands.  They are just too unstable for that.
  • I'm not familiar with running 2 or more Customwindows.  It could get worse, so I suggest avoiding that.
  • Whether closed as the little grey box or open as the window, keep the Customwindow in the upper left of the UI, as that seems to be a more stable location for them.  They move, put them back.  Pops open, close it.  They may even play nice for a while.  This may mean you have to adapt the rest of the UI.  I have my Pet Window up there and they usually get along.
  • You can resize the window horizontally to make it more or less wide, but....
  • When you resize the window vertically, it changes vertical size and jumps down and to the right.  So, just grab the window and drag it all the way to the lower right corner, it'll get there eventually anyway.  While there, resize the window to the vertical size you want, then drag the window back to the upper left corner and either leave it open or close it.
  • Thanks 1

Mine never closes either. It does seem to stay put at the top left of my screen (but not flush to the sides). I have it minimized to two buttons atm. I've ended up using customWindows mostly to create pre-made macro menus. For example, prior to the long range teleport power, I had a customwindow command to create exactly that button and functions for each new toon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperPlyx said:

It's such a useful little thing if it would just behave right. I thought maybe being able to dock it to one of the other windows. 

Anyways, some good tips and thanks for the reply

12 minutes ago, LaconicLemur said:

Mine never closes either. It does seem to stay put at the top left of my screen (but not flush to the sides). I have it minimized to two buttons atm. I've ended up using customWindows mostly to create pre-made macro menus. For example, prior to the long range teleport power, I had a customwindow command to create exactly that button and functions for each new toon.

The only windows that can dock are those that are designed connected and can be detached, like the many off the Compass, Chat window, and the main 3 Trays.

The Combat Attributes window used to be a bit unstable way in the past if it was filled to the full 10 entries on some toons.  You'd zone the toon and you look up and two entries in it are vibrating and bouncing back-and-forth and both are impossible to read.  I had to limit it to 9 entries to prevent that.  And sometime in the past 8 years, that one got fixed and now it can display 10 entries without problem.

There's another feature of Customwindows that also is a bit buggy.  You can drag Macros from your trays to a Customwindow.  You can edit the name and command of the Customwindow.  And you can drag a button out of a Customwindow back to the Trays as a Macro icon.  The bugs are that a button dragged out of a Customwindow isn't deleted from the file and will show up again when the toon zones.  Also, it's very easy to accidentally grab a button out of a Customwindow.

It just needs a good description of the problem, be entered as a bug, then the devs will eventually allocate time to address it as part of future UI work.  I'll get some screenshots of my single Customwindow today.  Maybe think about setting it up two of them to see how they interact.  Then put in a bug report on it later in the week.

Edited by Jacke