Tripping Traps Question

VV

So, I've mentioned my new Ill/Traps Controller before and how much I am still marveling at it's awesomeness and funness. Near capped defenses across the deck, decent resists, and practically undetectable while she wanders around tossing out pets and traps. But, I want to make sure I am being as effective as possible and I am still learning all the Traps tricks.

Specifically, my questions is, what exactly is "near" in the descriptive line, "Any foes that pass near the [Name] Trap will cause it to detonate." For example, looking in the details of Poison Trap, I find this:  Effect Area: AoE -- 16.00 ft. radius (1 targets max). Does that mean that 16 feet is the trigger radius, or is that just the radius in which it will hit its target?

For Acid Morter it is even more confusing. We have   Power Range:100.00 ft. , Effect Area:AoE -- 8.00 ft. radius (16 targets max). So, does that mean that if an enemy passes within 100 feet of the Mortar, it will shoot at that target?

Speaking of which, how does it choose its one target out of all the available targets in the radius? Is it closest? Random? My selected target?

Edited by VV

1: The self-destruct traps will list the AoE of the EFFECT, like the explosion or the poison gas. They will aggro upon an enemy if the enemy comes close enough for them to make an attack upon it... think of a mob with only melee attacks, and Immobilized... it will attack you if you get close enough to it for its melee attacks (in this case PBAoE) to reach you, but otherwise while it may be aggroed on you, it can't actually activate its attack. This attack self-destructs the trap and triggers the effect, whether explosion or gas cloud.

2: Acid Mortar has a shooting range, I suppose it's 100'. But like other mobs, it won't aggro at full range. Think of how mobs, especially at higher levels, may be able to shoot you at 100' but will only notice you once you're around 65' or so. This is the same thing, it has to aggro upon mobs before it starts shooting at them. However, I think it is like other pets, who usually will aggro upon a mob that attacks you. For example, if you summon Animate Stone around a corner from where you are fighting, AS may not see the mob, but because the mob is attacking you, it will come around the corner and attack. Same thing with mob perception in other situations, if you attack one of their spawn you may aggro the entire spawn, so if you summon Mortar and then run forward outside of its normal perception range and get into a fight... it will shoot at the mobs that aggro on you as long as they're in range of its attacks.

So the Mortar can fire up to 100' away, but it won't auto-aggro at that range, you have to create the aggro by advancing and starting a fight.

Okay, perfect, this is exactly what I needed. So, essentially, gotta get right up on the baddies to place the traps, at least for poison trap. Makes life exciting for AV/GM fights, but at least I know, now. Thanks so much!

8 hours ago, VV said:

Okay, perfect, this is exactly what I needed. So, essentially, gotta get right up on the baddies to place the traps, at least for poison trap. Makes life exciting for AV/GM fights, but at least I know, now. Thanks so much!

Yep, though hopefully as you do so Phanty and PA are grabbing the aggro ... leaving you to debuff the daylights out the foe.

50 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Yep, though hopefully as you do so Phanty and PA are grabbing the aggro ... leaving you to debuff the daylights out the foe.

True, and Superior Invisibility comes in really handy here.