A Non-Super's Challenge

Dracomicon

I am running a Non-Super's Challenge character and I need to find out what temp powers are most recommended? Plus, to get some slotting help for my challenge character. I need to know what are the best things to slot when you only have 5 slots?

What should I put in the following slots:
1 slot: Dual Wield (Knockback, Universal Dmg, Blaster, Slow, Ranged) - Right now I using Ruin: Acc/Dam/Rec as a replacement for the Prestige enh.
1 slot: Imm. Dart (Universal Dmg, Blaster, Immobilize, Ranged) - Right now I using Ruin: Acc/Dam/Rec as a replacement for the Prestige enh.
1 slot: Brawl (Universal dmg, Melee)
1 slot: Prestige Power Slide (Leaping, Running)
1 slot: Sprint (Leaping, Running) - Right now I am using Celerity: Stealth for help in managing mob pulling

Here is more information on my challenge character:

A NON-SUPER'S CHALLENGE
How long can an average citizen go as an unregistered hero.

What are the best temp powers to get?

CHALLENGE GROUND RULES
- Use a non-super name
- Pick powersets that can be reasonably used by a normal person
- No Super Groups access
- No AE access
- No Flashback missions
- No visiting a trainer and leveling up. Your initial powers and slots plus any temp powers is all you get.
- Avoid any missions from FBSPA, Operation Destiny, Bank jobs, or anyone associated with government/those in power.
- Teams only for your missions, or the Terra Volta Trial.
- Only use money that you earned yourself
- Avoid the tutorial at the beginning unless you are playing a Praetorian
(Optional) If your character gets unplayable then you can use exposure to special events to grant you powers. So finding an Ouroboros portal and using it to gain the entrusted with a secret ability is one way to allow for one trip to the trainer. Running the Terra Volta Trial is another way to gain access once to the trainer for leveling up. Must be noted in your biography how you gained your powers.

My Character (Liam Smith)
I choose the most common US boy's name for 2020: Liam and paired it with the most common last name in the US: Smith. I choose to be a Natural Dual Pistols / Ninja Training Blaster. I choose as my initial powers: Dual Wield and Immobilizing Dart. While a normal gun and a tranquillizer gun require permits, there are plenty on the black market with a reasonable cost.

The Idea
As an average citizen, you have no real access to super powers of your own. But, living in a super-powered world you can pick up any temp powers you find. This means that you will have no access to Super Groups, AE, Trainers, Hospitals, Vanguard or the like. The Auction house, Events, and P2W all have temp powers that you can use freely.

UPDATE 1 - Getting to level 5
- The lack of rest makes a huge difference in how long it takes to move from spawn to spawn. So far not noticing much difference in missing access to my primary and secondary but at these levels that is expected.

UPDATE 2 - Now at level 10
- The new long range teleport power and Jump Pack with Athletic run and Sprint make travel bearable.
- Beginning to lean a bit more on inspirations to prepare for some encounters, and noticing that three enemies to one is a fun level of difficulty at this stage with no additional Primary or Secondary powers.
- Glad to have the Winter Event resurrection temp power.
- The invention tutorial is locked by security level, and so is not accessible to me.

UPDATE 3 - Made it to level 15
- Really beginning to feel the sliding loss of Beginner's Luck. Noticing more misses during my encounters.
- The Blaster's inherent power Defiance really makes a difference. Holds are not an instant fail because of this. Had I chosen a different AT, any mezzing enemy would be much more difficult.

UPDATE 4 - Rough going to 20
- Had a couple of Elite Bosses (Nocturnal and Kurse) that were very close to defeats. I had to do some fancy hit and runs to get the win.
- At this point had enough influence and salvage to start playing the market. Did not use merits to seed any money.
- Throwing Knives is still a great power to use and holds its own as I level. This may not be the case if my powers were slotted up, but against my single slotted attacks this fits right in.

UPDATE 5 - New discoveries going to 25
- All PVP zones are locked unless I level.
- After 21 found that I had to drop the settings initially to -1 level to avoid fatal encounters.
- Discovered Amplifiers in P2W. I have never really needed them before. They only cost 1,000 since I am not leveled up, but make up the difference for losing Beginner's Luck, and they give status protection! Back to running missions at +0.
- The temp powers are doing more damage than my initial powers, and they are the only way to get AoE against ambushes which can prove to be very dangerous.

Edited by Dracomicon

Wow. Another challenge. 😃  Sounds interesting. Just a quick clarification on the rules:

26 minutes ago, Dracomicon said:

(Optional) If your character gets unplayable then you can use exposure to special events to grant you powers. So finding an Ouroboros portal and using it to gain the entrusted with a secret ability is one way to allow for one trip to the trainer. Running the Terra Volta Trial is another way to gain access once to the trainer for leveling up. Must be noted in your biography how you gained your powers.

By unplayable, do you mean you've run out of contacts since you're level locked to 1? And when you do visit Ouro and a trainer, you can pick as many powers as your level allows (but only normal humanly possible ones)?

As for the temp powers, I've found the 2 grenades to be very helpful (and natural). I'm also fond of the Axe and usually swap whatever origin power I got to either Throwing Knives or Taser. Since your toon is DP, you may opt to get the pistol temp (backup gun). I've heard praises for Gabriel's Hammer, but I've never tried it myself.

The optional is for when you reach a point that going forward is too much of a slog. I am hoping to not need this till level 30s or so, but the twenties are fairly brutal without Beginner's Luck. I have found that most contacts are not level locked by trainer, just by security level that you get as you gain XP.

Yes, when you run into a situation that exposes you power altering circumstances, you can visit the trainer right after that and level up to your current XP level. You then have to wait until the next event to do it again. So in theory, you can go to Ouro and train up at level 10, then again in your twenties, thirties, and forties using the Terra Volta trial.

I have made it to the 20's without needing to use a trainer, but being a blaster has been very helpful.

I will look into the grenades, never had a need for them before. I currently have Throwing knives,  Nemesis Staff, and Blackwand for my attack chain but the lowered accuracy is making it difficult to predict my success in encounters.

Character Journal

Biography 

As an avid TV watcher, I have watched many of the Super-powered individual journeys for some time in Paragon City and Rogue Islands. They make it look so easy when you have been given everything by just having some life-altering accident in the chemical plant. I was not gifted with any special abilities. I am just average. I even have one of the most common names around: Liam Smith. There is nothing about me that makes me special, in fact I get mugged about once a month working in Atlas Park. But, I want to prove them all wrong. I will use the leftovers of those supers to do something extraordinary with my ordinary life. This is my story.

Starting out (1-5)
- Everyone mentions Matthew Habashy as a person to start with. He however works with the Federal Bureau of Super-powered Affairs and I am not registered so his missions are out. Looks like all of the standard contacts are connected with the FBSPA, so I am not allowed to participate in any of their missions.
- Stopped at P2W she did not even check for my registration. Sweet! I grabbed two Prestige enhancements, Nemesis Staff, Blackwand, Undead Slaying Axe, Jump pack, and Athletic Run. These will be my main staple abilities.
- I cannot figure out how those Supers recover so quickly, apparently they are taught some special form of power-napping at security level 2 and I am not registered so no napping on the job for me!
- I found some Hellion arsonists trying to burn down buildings. This looks like a good place to make a difference since it appears to be beneath most of those privileged Supers.
- My work against the Hellions has gotten me to fighting level 3, but no training for me. Those glowie flashy Supers don't understand the hard work and determination that an average guy needs when things are not handed to them in a golden radioactive spoon!
- Drat, a warshade swooped down and cleared out all of the Hellions just as I was learning so much about fighting through the pain of gunshot wounds. That Show-off!
- I stopped a mugging, poor lady said every week someone is trying to steal her purse. Job well done. This is why I spend my vacation and sick leave helping out!
- Stopped another mugging where a Super by the name of Super Unknown just stood by talking to his wife and did nothing! The lady I saved said I was their new favorite hero. HA! I'm no hero, just an average guy!
- OK. Hold on people. That is like the 6th mugging I have stopped. Do you have to take the dark alley to work every day? Where is common sense these days!
- Someone is leaving gifts all over the city. I made the mistake of opening one and snow beasts jumped out. I barely survived. What kind of nightmare-ish prank is this?
- I got my first piece of salvage today an ancient artifact from an electric tinker-toy. Weird thing to find in the wreckage.
- Made it to fighting level 5 tearing up more of those tinker-toy things. I stopped at the Hospital where it is warm and nobody questions if your are registered or not. It is a bit annoying that some alien wierdo that named Dillo is hogging all the soda's and snacks from the machines. Typical for a Super.

Liam-Smith-5th-Hospital.jpg.df8851cefcf3546060510ebb04d3816e.jpg

Finding a Groove (6-10)
- I think I am under too much stress and under the influence. I made the mistake of traveling to Pocket D on a date, and got stood up. Next thing I know, I am in this fever-dream of helping Father Time by saving a Baby! But it was no baby, more like a man-child. Father Time asked for the mightiest mortals and I am definately not that. I will never look at snowmen the same way again.
- I just learned that the Paragon teleport system is open to anyone who can collect a set of badges! They don't even ask for your registration, just want to see the badges. I am surprised that my co-workers do not use this for their own travel.
- Vanguard is getting lax in their security. The front doorman asked for my identification and when I told him I was just badging, he just let me inside the Atlas building!
- My boss at work is getting suspicious. He asked me the other day, why I was no longer coming in late to work due to getting mugged or robbed. I told him I was just getting lucky, but I think he is keeping an eye on me now.
- I had a random phone call to go talk to the security chief about Perez Park. He gave me my first real mission with without any papers required. How hard can Perez Park be?
- It is a mess at Perez Park! I can't believe that I used to take dates here. I have resorted to guerrilla tactics to survive.
- Wow I thought I had a hard life, but those citizens in Kings Row are truly suffering with many of them homeless.
- I have helped so many police getting a beat down by the Skulls, only to turn around and see them pushing some Skulls around. Its getting harder to tell who I should be helping.

Mission Capable (11-15)
- A reporter asked me to look into Toothbreaker Jones about selling superadine. His gang called me the Po-Po, the Fuzz, even a cape. I'm not even registered! So, I cleared out the whole building with some gusto. That will send a message!
- Those Skulls set a trap with Mandible! I got lucky, but that was too close. And what's up with all the mouth nicknames?
- Oh man, she published it in the papers! Unregistered Hero busts Superadine lab. Thank goodness my name is so common, they think its some sort of secret identity.
- I lied today. It was a lie of omission. Athena Currie asked for Hero to help her, and I told her I would help. She told me of some increasing tinker-toy activity and asked me to look into it. I found a help note inscribed into one of those I destroyed.
- Following up on that clue, I eradicated a whole building of those blasted things only to find another note that sent me into the sewers. I found Lou in the sewers being held captive and being forced to build more tinker-toys. He was grateful to being rescued, but told me his family was still being held captive.
- I rescued Lou's wife and daughter today in his shop where they were being held. It was nice to help out this good family and he gave me a 10% discount on any car repairs I may need. Too bad I do not own a car!
- I burned my clothes today. Three days of washing and still couldn't get the stench of the sewer out of them. Paragon needs to really clean-up it's sewers. Maybe encourage real super heroes to go down there with badges and rewards and stuff?
- The university will not let me learn about inventions because I am un-registered.

Liam-Smith-15th-Burn.jpg.a96135025cd06fbc0c24e1b415811210.jpg

Tough Times (15 - 20)
- I am helping Jim Tembler in Faultline and his super-annoying friend. She is everything that is wrong with those entitled super powered individuals. On the other hand, I could relate to Jim since I knew exactly what he was going through hiding such a secret!
- An artist friend sent me to investigate a drug deal gone bad between the Tsoo and the Trolls. I am not sure how she is so in tune with the drug underground in Paragon, since she was so well behaved growing up. I was able to stop a new drug called Rage from getting on the streets.
- I was able to help create a cure for the Lost, and because I am not registered, I will never get credit for that.
- Am I becoming what I detest? I find myself running right past muggings and theft on the streets just to help some random person who called me on the phone. I must never lose sight that I am not one of them, even if I get treated like a super at times!
- I started day trading on the market with my retirement funds to help pay my bills, since I am missing more and more work now.

Game Changer (21 - 25)
- I went through the leftover bins at Wentworths and found some enhancements. I am not sure how these work since I am not allowed to take classes without registration at the University. I just ended up cracking them open and dumping them on my shoes and guns. Hope that is the right way to use them.
- Turns out that you slap the enhancements on your skin. Can't believe how much money I wasted on the first set of enhancements. Oh as a reminder to myself, don't put the enhancements on your arm where it rubs against your side as the chafing is awful.
- I decided to get some help, and purchased some performance-enhancing drugs called "Amplifiers". These things help me soo much. I feel like a new man when I am on them, but fear when they wear out.
- I have been asked to stop the release of a bad song. What kind of social media censorship is this? I mean how bad can the Dirge of Chaos be?
- Those drugs are messing with my mind. I have never wanted to harm a prisoner, but that Amanda Gates has changed all that. She kept calling for help, and I had to drag her out at a slow walk otherwise she would try and run away. I hope she rots in jail forever.
- I was told that even though Jimmy the Preacher tried to kill me, because I am un-registered, he will go free! What kind of broken police system is this!
- The Devil's Timepiece, Magic-Man doing his dance, and an attic of lost magic items because someone was too lazy to invest in a security system. I cannot believe I am even helping Mercedes.

Liam-Smith-25th-HH.thumb.jpg.d617c8cd039ad3afcbe41d484bc1bc34.jpg

Edited by Dracomicon
added more journal up to lvls 25
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

A few suggestions:

Leveling: I really think you should allow yourself to level (humans tend to get better with practice) but you should disallow slotting and of course you should stick to feasible abilities.

Archetypes: It looks like you are using a blaster, however, I think the stats are too high for the "average guy".  I think you should pick the class with the least amount in the melee damage and ranged damage stats, after all, an average guy wouldn't be able to swing a punch that hard. You should play a controller or if that is too extreme (which if you look at the power choices - it would be) then a petless mastermind which is slightly better stats and has more realistic choices for abilities.

Abilities: Anything a regular human couldn't do is off limits, if you absolutely have to pick it to level up, you can, but you can't use it. Also, anything that requires magic, is something only a super could do, so no Nemesis Staff or Blackwand (undead slaying axe is fine). If your playing a controller, you can't use either of your main two powers, pick whatever you want it doesn't matter. For mastermind, you should pick between Demon (whips), Mercenaries (gun), Ninja (bow), Robotics (rifle), or Thugs (dual pistols). Though I would think the most realistic choice of the two is between mercenaries or thugs. Summoning pets would likely also be off-limits, but that can be left up to your rp decisions.

Otherwise I think it is a great idea, good luck and have fun!

Edited by 723wolf
  • Like 1

<Witch> of Everlasting

<Mythical Creature> of Excelsior
Global Name: @Mythical Creature
"Monsters are real and they look like people." - Unknown

Never heard of Non-Super challenge, but I am doing something similar.   Zero Zero on Torch,  lvl 19 right now but havent leveled at all.

I chose Fire Aura and Dual Blades, Punch, Throwing Knives, and P2W attacks.

Mostly street sweeping, Christmas Presents, and Radio.

Kind of fun, very touch and go.  Fighting Oranges is living on the knife's edge.  But attacks are becoming very repetitive, and life is going to suck after 21 when those Prestige IOs stop working.

So, I went and created a Thug MM with Snap Shot and Web Grenade., punch, and Throwing Knives.

This is probably as close to a Normal one can get.

Edited by Mouse Of War
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, 723wolf said:

A few suggestions:

Leveling: I really think you should allow yourself to level (humans tend to get better with practice) but you should disallow slotting and of course you should stick to feasible abilities.

Archetypes: It looks like you are using a blaster, however, I think the stats are too high for the "average guy".  I think you should pick the class with the least amount in the melee damage and ranged damage stats, after all, an average guy wouldn't be able to swing a punch that hard. You should play a controller or if that is too extreme (which if you look at the power choices - it would be) then a petless mastermind which is slightly better stats and has more realistic choices for abilities.

Abilities: Anything a regular human couldn't do is off limits, if you absolutely have to pick it to level up, you can, but you can't use it. Also, anything that requires magic, is something only a super could do, so no Nemesis Staff or Blackwand (undead slaying axe is fine). If your playing a controller, you can't use either of your main two powers, pick whatever you want it doesn't matter. For mastermind, you should pick between Demon (whips), Mercenaries (gun), Ninja (bow), Robotics (rifle), or Thugs (dual pistols). Though I would think the most realistic choice of the two is between mercenaries or thugs. Summoning pets would likely also be off-limits, but that can be left up to your rp decisions.

Otherwise I think it is a great idea, good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the suggestions.

It was running a non-slotted controller that got me thinking about how the temp powers can help smooth over deficiencies in a build especially in the early level that got me thinking about running a character with temp powers only.

Even though I do not level at a trainer, I still go up in fighting level, so I do get better with what abilities I have. I am looking to see how far I can go with only temp powers.

It is still fun, especially since I have not run a blaster in a long time.

17 hours ago, Mouse Of War said:

Never heard of Non-Super challenge, but I am doing something similar.   Zero Zero on Torch,  lvl 19 right now but havent leveled at all.

I chose Fire Aura and Dual Blades, Punch, Throwing Knives, and P2W attacks.

Mostly street sweeping, Christmas Presents, and Radio.

Kind of fun, very touch and go.  Fighting Oranges is living on the knife's edge.  But attacks are becoming very repetitive, and life is going to suck after 21 when those Prestige IOs stop working.

So, I went and created a Thug MM with Snap Shot and Web Grenade., punch, and Throwing Knives.

This is probably as close to a Normal one can get.

I just dinged 22, and loosing the Prestige IOs and Beginner's Luck has really made running my character difficult. I never appreciated how much those two things improved the journey to 21. It is one of the reasons that I posted, for ideas on using the few slots I have to make up the difference for the loss and temp powers I may have overlooked.

Never tried a pet-less mastermind, that may be my next character.

Ok... was on the fence about this, since I do have other "challenges" currently in progress. But what the hell, it got me interested enough.

So meet my pure human hero
1656890704_NormalNorm.png.112c29b56b38a5ae00690efc65903009.png

(disregard the aura, he just levelled so it's the ding buff you're seeing)

Technically, he's Thugs/Poison MM. But challenge-wise, he's a normal (villain) guy with no powers other than the "power to persuade others to do his dirty work for him" and "throw drugs at them to keep them compliant" =).

I have ignored P2W for now, but I might consider getting the "normal" temp powers like grenades, bat, gab's hammer, pistol... (maybe a drone???) once he has enough money. I'm playing him at 1 level per day or as my schedule allows. He doesn't do missions since he's got no clout like heroes and villains. So he just goes around the streets. I anticipate it would take much longer like this, but I don't mind.  currently at (supposed to be) level 4 😃

I might slot DOs which will later be upgraded to SOs
End redux in Sprint, nothing in Power Slide

HP in Alkaloid (T1 Secondary)
Damage or KB in Call Thugs (T2 primary)
maybe a Damage in Brawl, though I don't plan on getting in on the fight.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Six-Six said:

Ok... was on the fence about this, since I do have other "challenges" currently in progress. But what the hell, it got me interested enough.

So meet my pure human hero
1656890704_NormalNorm.png.112c29b56b38a5ae00690efc65903009.png

(disregard the aura, he just levelled so it's the ding buff you're seeing)

Technically, he's Thugs/Poison MM. But challenge-wise, he's a normal (villain) guy with no powers other than the "power to persuade others to do his dirty work for him" and "throw drugs at them to keep them compliant" =).

I have ignored P2W for now, but I might consider getting the "normal" temp powers like grenades, bat, gab's hammer, pistol... (maybe a drone???) once he has enough money. I'm playing him at 1 level per day or as my schedule allows. He doesn't do missions since he's got no clout like heroes and villains. So he just goes around the streets. I anticipate it would take much longer like this, but I don't mind.  currently at (supposed to be) level 4 😃

I might slot DOs which will later be upgraded to SOs
End redux in Sprint, nothing in Power Slide

HP in Alkaloid (T1 Secondary)
Damage or KB in Call Thugs (T2 primary)
maybe a Damage in Brawl, though I don't plan on getting in on the fight.

Looks great! I hope you have fun. I know that I still am enjoying my character quite a bit.

I had a short bit of a low point round the very late teens, until my character started liberally using prescription drugs (amplifiers from P2W which are only 1000 since you are not leveled).

Funnily enough, so far the only things locked from an unleveled character is the Invention Tutorial and the PVP zones.

I definitely recommend  writing down the journal even if it is just a few key words to remember what was going through your character's head. It's the first time I am writing down a journal and it really makes some of the old stories fun and new again seeing them from another perspective as I write, and it also helps me see my character's growth and how he is evolving as he plays.

• Thanks 1

That would be a pain though... especially at the higher levels.

Sorry, but it did got me thinking that if I'd give some meaning between the different enhancements, it would be:

Training - your average/untrained/self taught 'hero/villain'

Dual Origin - had *some* sort of training, like someone who took self defense classes

Single Origin - these would be characters that had actual combat/military training

IOs and everything else - these would be the lucky ones that are actually super powered and even when untrained, they wouldn't break a sweat against an untrained regular person

@Kismet

@KlSMET - (kLsmet)

@Kismette

@Kismet Angel/@Angel of Fate/@One Kismet - on live

Heroes on Guardian/Villains on Victory

1 hour ago, Six-Six said:

That makes sense. 

I was telling another friend about it, and he brought up a good point. Would it be possible to slot enhancements if we never officially level up? Haven't tried it, and I still haven't slotted any enhancements anyway.

For my character, I slots enhancements in any slot that I have available, which without leveling is 5 slots (1 in each primary power, sprint, brawl, and prestige sprint).

The idea is that you are a normal human in a Super world. So you can use equipment that should be readily available to the normal populace in this world of the super-powered. That is why all temp powers are available, because they are designed to be available and accessible to anyone without questions. Anything on the market is fair game, since those are publicly traded not-only with heroes but also villains so regular citizens should have access to anything on the market as well since only money is the main factor. 

To me Inf. is money, which is not how it is described in the game but the real logical conclusion once it was allowed to be traded with other characters and is used on the market. It is just a currency that usually only is used by super-powered individuals. But the auction house and shops do not always employ super employees, so they must be able handle this kind of currency as well. So a regular citizen should with some effort, gain access to this rare currency as well. That is why one of the rules is that you must earn your Inf. for yourself. No super would just give it away to an unregistered citizen. However, you can earn it by bringing down enemies and running missions from those who don't care if you are registered or leveled.

I understand that enhancements are not supposed to be equipment, but since they can be traded on the open market I treat them as equipment for my characters. A regular citizen would be able to pick up equipment and use it to some degree. The limit is how many you can handle at one time, and for an un-leveled character that is 5.

This is how I look at enhancements:

Training Enhancements - These are just books.  Book on how to aim better, relaxation techniques from the latest guru, etc... You can only remember so much at a time, so that is why when you switch training enhancements in a power, its like taking a new class at school and forgetting the previous class.

Dual Origin Enhancements -  These are described in game, and most are described as equipment. I view the DNA/Genome alterations like an insulin pump that you attach to your body to use.

Single Origin Enhancements - These are very specific but I still look at them as equipment by origin:

Magic - These are spells of blessing by Dimensional entities, that are written on scrolls that when used are cast once on the individual. If you want to remove the blessing you just write down the blessing and that becomes the new scroll.

Mutation - Secondary Mutation caused by exposure to the genetic altering substances. I see this as blood or distilled genetic material from other mutants in an insulin pump like device that enhances your existing mutations.

Natural - Techniques that are taught via a series of videos from specific teachers that you must buy a license to access online. These techniques are so complicated that if you lose your license you will eventually forget the technique.

Science - Experiments that are done with home equipment following specific formulas online that require access to rare chemicals and materials. These materials plus the formula are what constitutes the enhancement that can be sold.

Technology - This is small cybernetic devices that are implanted into your suit, body, weapons to enhance their abilities. In most cases, I look at these like ram chips that can go into any machine.

Hamidon / Hydra / Titan Enhancements - These are very small pieces of these creatures that radiate power that enhances the holder. Like chips or shards you hold in a necklace or special bag.

Invention Enhancements - The in game material is very vague about what these are exactly. Since these are crafted, usable by anyone, and tradable after being used they must be small and not permanently attached but hard enough to remove that when defeated you do not lose them. I see them as nanotechnology patches, like a nicotine patch, but instead of nicotine it injects nanobots that enhance your abilities. This is why you need a special unslotter to remove them and gather all the nanobots back into the patch.

Some might not look at the enhancements like this, since by being equipment, it means that it is not a permanent change to your character. But I look at the ability to hold more slots as the  permanent change being a growth of the character and their ability to tolerate more enhancements, not the enhancements themselves.

These are just my own views on how these things function in the game world.

Just played another few levels. And you can slot higher level enhancements (at least DOs for now) even if you remain level 1.

I don't really sweat it as much, but you're right. Enhancement is a thing you add or augment to another thing in order to improve its function. So IMHO, we should be allowed to put them in.