Want to run Mids Reborn on macOS Catilina and Big Sur?

Metalios

Above is a guide on installing and running Mids Reborn on macOS Catilina (will also work for Big Sur)
Enjoy and Stay Frosty 😎

Edited by crytilis
  • Like 2

I am merely the guy with a keyboard and monitor under the stairs.

• 4 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later

@crytilis

Thank you for the instructions

The problem now is AFTER the installation and getting it open and running

Where, on the MAC Big Sur does this get stored ?

Looks like I have install everything again and again when opening the files or downloading new builds from the forum 

It's not stored in typical places in the Mac M1 , Big Sur locations, the usual locations 

Help me out please

@crytilis

Thank you for the instructions

TWO ISSUES 

1.  The problem now is AFTER the installation and getting it open and running

Where, on the MAC Big Sur does this get stored ?

Looks like I have install everything again and again when opening the files or downloading new builds from the forum 

It's not stored in typical places in the Mac M1 , Big Sur locations, the usual locations 

Help me out please

2.  Any other Mac M1 users who have wine skin in use while the game COH is open having problems opening MRB ?  

Looks like wineskin can only do one or the other, but not both, since both use wineskin

• 1 year later
On 2/6/2021 at 4:55 AM, crytilis said:

Above is a guide on installing and running Mids Reborn on macOS Catilina (will also work for Big Sur)
Enjoy and Stay Frosty 😎

Hey boss,

I've been trying to make this work with the most recent update. Any idea why its not working?

Keep getting this... <see pic>

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 17.55.56.png

• Like 1

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

• 2 months later

Sorry for necro'ing this post but I was wondering if anyone's running Mids smoothly on recent Macs? Is the above video still the best way to go?

I've ordered mine today and obviously I'll be instantly installing CoX+Mids as soon as I get it. Thanks!

Warning: This post may contain an opinion.

• 1 year later
On 3/9/2023 at 7:07 AM, Crowcus Pocus said:

Sorry for necro'ing this post but I was wondering if anyone's running Mids smoothly on recent Macs? Is the above video still the best way to go?

I've ordered mine today and obviously I'll be instantly installing CoX+Mids as soon as I get it. Thanks!

Sorry to necromance this thread once again, but I wanted to reply to this since this thread still comes up on Google if you search how to install Mids on Mac. This might be answered in the Discord, but I'm not in there.

The video guide is slightly out of date. You will need to change a few things, but otherwise everything else is the same:

1. When creating a blank Wineskin wrapper, used a 64 bit Windows 11 engine. It may work with others, or it may even work with Windows 10, but I used WS11Wine64Bit9.1:

image.png.5d2a8e5b8807d109290ffb2ef5a18f76.png

2. When running Winetricks, you will need to add the .NET Desktop 6 .dll to your Wineskin. Please note that .NET Desktop 6 is different from .NET 6. Like so:

image.thumb.png.dd735e42beb2d1773c82211454367707.png

3. (This is technically optional, but will prevent you from having to re-create your wrapper every time you want to run the program) After running the Mids setup executable per the video and the Wineskin menu, you will need to modify the Wineskin app's 'Windows app' field. You may see a message like "No new executables found!" after you close Mids or the Mids installer. This is because Wineskin tries to check that a program was installed into Program Files, but Mids installs into AppData. Simply do the following:

a. Right click your Wineskin for Mids and click "Show Package Contents"

image.png.3ee769d0be3aaace6eeecdce94c7779b.png

b. Navigate into the Contents folder and run the "Wineskin.app" app. The app should be located somewhere like here:
    image.png.f1305bf69ef64f29571ec7b905822a9a.png

And the folder with the app you want to run should look something like this:
    image.thumb.png.0df97122a0b2d62948ff73e58ba7d48a.png

c. Once you've run the Wineskin.app you should see this menu. Select "Advanced".
    image.png.c3cb8858d9875657f12e782348a6c753.png

d. Modify the 'Windows app' field to the following: 
    "C:\users\Wineskin\AppData\Roaming\LoadedCamel\MidsReborn\MidsReborn.exe" 

image.thumb.png.efae0d34cd8a7ede1d64e91b543487ed.png

Please note that this location may vary in the future, or depending on where you installed the executable to when running the Mids installer via Wine. This field needs to match wherever you've installed the MidsReborn.exe file within Wine's /drive_c/ folder. You can use the 'Browse' button next to the 'Windows app' field to locate the executable within Wine's drive_c if you have misplaced your file or the default location changes in the future.

Important note: There is currently an issue with Wine where installers will sometimes have the text loaded as white or near-white text with a white background, making it very hard to read. This is a bug with Wine and doesn't have anything to do with Mids and it isn't anything anyone here could fix. When navigating the installer, just click the 'Next' button at the bottom until you reach 'Install', then click that. If you choose to launch Mids from the installer when it's completed, please don't forget to update your Wineskin's executable location per step 3.

To help future proof this post somewhat, please note that you can verify which Windows OS is recommend and which .dll file is required by checking the Mids Github on their site. Please check the actual link to the .NET .dll file, as it may be called something colloquially that differs from the .dll's actual name. For instance, Mids is currently using .NET Desktop 6, but the Github says .NET 6. You can find this info on the Github at the bottom, like so:

image.thumb.png.8f2bb06c99ee755c5b656caf5a41d09c.png

Then, whenever you make a Wineskin for Mids in the future, just select an engine that matches that Windows OS and use Winetricks to install whatever .dll is required.

If anyone out there is still trying to run this via Wine, hopefully this info is helpful to you. Cheers.

Edited by Elegy