dark/kin: proc monster or pet damage god?

ashenlost

Heya folks!!

I seem to be in a quandary with this combo. Dark control does decent damage once is it is procced out where is fulcrum shift boosts damage only and not procs of course. So I am wondering how my fellow forum fellows went about building their toons. Procs/sturdiness with FS as a bonus or high recharge/defense trying to get the most out pet damage/AoE or a blend of both (etc perma haunt+ procs). Not looking for builds in particular but what path/paths people wandered in their quest for dark/kin godhood. 

Normally you don't invest too heavily in procs with Kinetics builds because the lack of slottable powers in Kinetics means you need to straight slot most of your other power set to meet your build goals. Since Fulcrum Shift is going to put you at the damage cap, the additional value from the procs is normally small.

'Proc Monster' builds tend to come from the debuff sets because -resist affects your base damage and those procs equally rather than simply buffing one.

You also need to remember that because you can Fulcrum Shift/Siphon Power, you don't need to slot your Control set as damage - you can slot it as Control instead. 

Edited by Hjarki

I think Proc Monster is the way to go.

Kinetics boosts your Recharge, so you're not as strongly compelled to look for Recharge bonuses. This frees up powers to slot for proc damage, with Kinetics helping you reach the damage caps without them.

It creates a build that is rare in Controllers, a direct-damage dealer. The build I'm working on, after Fulcrum Shift, does:

480 damage with Dark Grasp (8 sec recharge)

350 damage with Shadowy Binds (4 sec recharge).

Also 320 or so with Ice Blast, but that's rarely going to be used because Kinetics is so busy... SB-DG-SB just leaves room for one Kinetics power out of every 4, so there really isn't much room to use Ice Blast... more as the 3rd hit in a 1-2-3 sequence at a fleeing mob at the end of fights.

600 AoE damage from Frost Breath, along with 700 from Ice Storm and almost 400 from HoD as a fight-opener. And 160 or so from Living Shadows on an 8 second recharge.

So... AoE damage, single-target damage, and a lot more survivable platform than the pets. I don't think you can get close to this damage by focusing on putting out more pets, and they also start feeling a lot squishier at higher difficulties even with all the -ToHit debuffs.

This is a preliminary build, because I'm close enough to soft-capping that I'm thinking it may be worth pushing a bit closer to it... it wouldn't normally matter since the -ToHit debuffs easily soft-cap for most situations, but sometimes ambushes get to shoot you before you can debuff them, and soaking up an ambush at +4/x8 will kill you if you depend on debuffs/controls to be your main line of defense.

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Darkness Control
Secondary Power Set: Kinetics
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Ice Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Grasp -- GhsWdwEmb-Acc/EndRdx(A), CldSns-%Dam(3), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(3), NrnSht-Dam%(5), GldNet-Dam%(5), UnbCns-Dam%(7)
Level 1: Transfusion -- ThfofEss-+End%(A), ThfofEss-Acc/Heal(7), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Heal(9)
Level 2: Shadowy Binds -- Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), CldSns-%Dam(9), TraoftheH-Dam%(11), GldJvl-Dam%(11), Apc-Dam%(13)
Level 4: Living Shadows -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), JvlVll-Dam%(17), PstBls-Dam%(17), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(19), TraoftheH-Dam%(19), CldSns-%Dam(21)
Level 6: Possess -- CrcPrs-Conf%(A), CrcPrs-Conf(21), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(23), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(23), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(25), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(25)
Level 8: Fearsome Stare -- CldSns-%Dam(A), CldSns-ToHitDeb(27), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(27), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(29), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(29), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 10: Siphon Speed -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Heart of Darkness -- AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(A), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(31), Arm-Dam%(31), Erd-%Dam(33), CldSns-%Dam(33), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(33)
Level 14: Siphon Power -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 16: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 18: Haunt -- ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(34), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(34), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(36)
Level 20: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(36), UnbGrd-Max HP%(37), StdPrt-ResKB(37)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37), LucoftheG-Def(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(39)
Level 26: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 28: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 30: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(39), Rct-ResDam%(40), Ksm-ToHit+(40)
Level 32: Umbra Beast -- BldMnd-Dmg(A), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg(40), BldMnd-Dmg/EndRdx(42), BldMnd-Acc/EndRdx(42), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), BldMnd-Acc(43)
Level 35: Transference -- PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(A)
Level 38: Fulcrum Shift -- Acc-I(A), RechRdx-I(43)
Level 41: Ice Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), GldJvl-Dam%(43), ImpSwf-Dam%(45)
Level 44: Frost Breath -- ImpSwf-Dam%(A), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(45), PstBls-Dam%(45), JvlVll-Dam%(46), Range-I(46), Range-I(46)
Level 47: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Ice Storm -- Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Containment
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(13), Mrc-Rcvry+(15)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), EndMod-I(15)
Level 50: Nerve Radial Paragon
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany
------------