Time to dominate this AT!

Aeroprism

Sorry about the horrible title.  It's all I could think of.

(Just kidding, not even sorry)

So I rolled my first Dom lately.  For some reason, I had always ignored this mysterious, strange AT until I saw someone play one and it looked dripping with fun.  I'm a huge controller fan, I like controls but I never successfully soloed one because reasons.  (Though my Ill/Traps is slowly getting by).  Now, I realize I can play an AT that controls and whacks things: what's not to love! So I rolled an Elec/Energy Dom and went to town.  A villain, even. Would you believe that?  Awesome fun, so far.  Well, until I clicked "Domination" for the first time.

HOLY RETINA DAMAGE BATMAN.   

But that's ok,  I can blink. Or wear shades.

So little Phazeon has been busy terrorizing Mercy and killing his own mission contacts (CoV writing = so much better) but then, I did something dumb...

... I started talking to people.  

"Electric control sucks!"    "Energy assault is a scrapper set!" (Does that even make sense?)  So, since I started talking, might as well continue. The forum voice has for the most part been nothing but super helpful to me anyways.  

Beautiful people of the forums: tell me about Doms.  What works?  What doesn't work? 

• Like 2

Doms are pretty formulaic.  You'll tend to want to grab your standard aoe controls and a few of the unique powers on the control side and then some of the better attacks.  Typically I don't like grabbing more than 6 powers in either the primary or secondary which leaves room for you to build yourself up with the pool powers.  Pool powers are big especially ones with defensive powers which you can slot those LotG's into.  

I haven't played elec control but you'll likely want the ST hold, the AoE hold, I hear the sleep is good so you might want that, then I believe you'll have the pbaoe toggle, then the confuse and last the pet, that's the bones of what I'd take in that control.  For energy I have some experience with, you'll have to take the first power and then every power from Power Up and after is a must.  

Soul Mastery is a great Epic pool for doms, especially yours.  

Aim for perma-domination which would be Hasten plus I go for another 85%-95% recharge.  Then build in those defenses/hp and go to town.  

• Like 1

First the good news: Elec/Energy does indeed have a lot of synergy and can be built fairly strong. With that combo you're probably building a melee sapper who relies on Power Up to boost defenses and endurance drain multipliers long enough to drain enemies and withstand the rest of the fight. Energy deals excellent damage and, for a Dominator set, actually has pretty good AoE thanks to the Whirling Hands special mechanic. I'd be most likely looking to the Mu APP for Power Sink.

If you choose to solo, your opening gambit is probably either Synaptic Overload or Static Field. Both have their merits as an opener. 

Other than your controls and saps you have little else to protect you. This isn't too atypical of a Dominator actually; Dominators are perhaps the most limited archetype when it comes to access to survivability buffs or debuffs. 

The real downside for Electric Control is the number of powers that summon psuedo pets. On Homecoming and most other servers, these don't Dominate. The only AoE Electric Control powers that Dominate are the AoE immobilize and hold. Synaptic Overload dominates the first target only, and Static Field does not Dominate at all. 

• Like 1

Ele/Nrg is a good pairing, because both work best in melee. Electric does a good job sapping opponents so that after a short while you're safe from short-range attack, so build your set bonuses for Recharge and Ranged Defense. Energy does all of its AoE and its best single-target damage based on melee attacks.

You use Synaptic Overload and Static Field to break up and prevent a heavy alpha strike. Unlike most Doms, you will want to take your AoE Immob because it helps drain Endurance, and because both Static Field and Conductive Aura give you back Endurance so you can spam it with less pain on the blue bar than for other primaries. Once you have the mobs Confused and Slept in the Static Field, you go into it so that Conductive Aura starts sapping, and start with the Jolting Chain/Chain Fences combination, knocking mobs down and draining them, and then there is a good chance that Static Field will pulse and re-sleep them as they get up so they don't even get to shoot back. This goes on for a short while and then sleeping doesn't matter much because they're out of Endurance.

I like to put the Fiery Orb ATO in Whirling Hands... due to the insta-recharge mechanic when using it after a Total Focus, you get twice as many proc activations out of it as from a normal AoE, and Doms build for global Recharge anyhow so that's also proc-friendly. Triggering the orb when in the middle of a spawn means that it has no travel delay and starts doing damage and Stuns immediately, and its stun aura stacks with Whirling Hand's small chance to Stun, adding another layer of safety at point-blank range.

One issue to be aware of: Energy Assault blasts will do knockback, and your Chain Fences do NOT convert KB to KD like most Immobs. Instead, you have to use Tesla Cage to prevent knocking mobs back. That's kind of fine, you can go with AoE attacks while targeting the boss, and then using the blasts along with Tesla Cages is pretty natural. But if you like to bounce around targets, knock this guy down, then Hold that guy, etc, you will end up knocking targets away from your draining area and end up taking more damage.

Lastly, put every proc that you can fit into Jolting Chain. At 50, that's 3 damage and one FF, and then at least one more proc... a self Heal or chance for +Endurance (Power Shifter) are probably the best options, but it does take a Chance to Hold IO also. If you have enough Accuracy from set bonuses you might 6-proc it. At lower levels you can't put the Apocalypse into it, so fill it out with +HP, +End, and the FF proc, and spam the heck out of it. It'll give back Endurance, Health, and boost Recharge to get Domination up faster, while constantly knocking down mobs and doing a bit of damage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RE: Jolting Chain, I've found slotting it worthwhile on Controllers but not Dominators. I'd be happy to be convinced that Jolting Chain is worth it on Dominators, but I'm just not sure right now.

The main thing about Jolting Chain is that it has a 5% chance to whiff the first target and do nothing. On balance, I guess that isn't too different from single target powers, which have an identical chance to do nothing 5% of the time. Jolting Chain has an animation time over 2 seconds, so a swing and miss really impacts it negatively. 

The "critical fail" aspect of Jolting Chain (and Synaptic Overload) is fixable, if developers see it as an issue. I'm on the fence about whether it should be corrected or is fine as is. But, I also don't like Jolting Chain because of it. You have a 5% chance for each chain jump to fail no matter how good your Accuracy is, and a 5% chance for the power to do nothing. I don't know. I could be convinced by some really good proc numbers, but I don't feel like JC procs that well. The recharge time of the jump power the psuedo pet uses is 4 seconds, so the proc rate doesn't look impressive on paper. Wouldn't mind be convinced otherwise.

On Controllers I'd still take it just because Controller damage is so low.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oedipus_tex said:

The "critical fail" aspect of Jolting Chain (and Synaptic Overload) is fixable, if developers see it as an issue. I'm on the fence about whether it should be corrected or is fine as is. But, I also don't like Jolting Chain because of it. You have a 5% chance for each chain jump to fail no matter how good your Accuracy is, and a 5% chance for the power to do nothing.

Actually, you have a much lower chance for each jump to fail, because it makes an AoE attack... so if it misses a target, it rolls on the next one, until it hits, up to its maximum number of targets. So you really only have a 5% miss chance on the first attack, and then when you're down to only one target who hasn't been hit. Everyone else will get hit basically 100% of the time, as a miss will just mean another attack roll on the next viable target, and the odds of missing 2+ consecutive 95% rolls are very low.

The self-targeting procs (+Recharge, +Endurance, +Heal) treat it like an 8 second recharge single-target attack, so they're fine.

It's a strong defensive power that works well with interrupting attacks until you have everyone Slept/Drained, so I think it's worth spamming for defense... and if you're going to do that, adding procs for damage is a good idea. I mean, just as a single-target attack that you'll spam on the Boss for damage while knocking everyone else around, it's worth proccing, so any AoE damage from the procs is just a bonus.

Now, I'm not sure how good the AoE procs are... although the power that each chain uses to attack says it has a 4 second recharge, it also says that it has an activation period of 4 seconds. I assumed this means that it's treated like a toggle, and considered to have a 10 second recharge. If it's only 4 seconds, then it does a lot less damage after the first target. But without having run tests, it looks to me that it fires chained procs at 1/2 the rate of the main, not 1/5 or so, so it seems that a calculation based on 10 seconds is right. But it could be observer bias.

On Doms, they have enough attacks that you can skip slotting it... but it's still a good source of self-buffing procs, knocks everyone around the target down, and drains the primary target. I use it on my Ele/Earth in between Tremor/Fissure, since there will be a downtime, as long as there are enough mobs in the area to make AoEs more worthwhile than single-target. This coincides with the fact that it's more useful at the beginning of the fight when not all the mobs are drained. After a couple of rounds, I switch to Seismic Smash in its place, but it's definitely worth using a couple of times at the start of the fight. It also helps stack Holds on a Boss without getting attacked, at lower levels when Domination is down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coyote said:

Actually, you have a much lower chance for each jump to fail, because it makes an AoE attack... so if it misses a target, it rolls on the next one, until it hits, up to its maximum number of targets. So you really only have a 5% miss chance on the first attack, and then when you're down to only one target who hasn't been hit. Everyone else will get hit basically 100% of the time, as a miss will just mean another attack roll on the next viable target, and the odds of missing 2+ consecutive 95% rolls are very low.

The self-targeting procs (+Recharge, +Endurance, +Heal) treat it like an 8 second recharge single-target attack, so they're fine.

It's a strong defensive power that works well with interrupting attacks until you have everyone Slept/Drained, so I think it's worth spamming for defense... and if you're going to do that, adding procs for damage is a good idea. I mean, just as a single-target attack that you'll spam on the Boss for damage while knocking everyone else around, it's worth proccing, so any AoE damage from the procs is just a bonus.

Now, I'm not sure how good the AoE procs are... although the power that each chain uses to attack says it has a 4 second recharge, it also says that it has an activation period of 4 seconds. I assumed this means that it's treated like a toggle, and considered to have a 10 second recharge. If it's only 4 seconds, then it does a lot less damage after the first target. But without having run tests, it looks to me that it fires chained procs at 1/2 the rate of the main, not 1/5 or so, so it seems that a calculation based on 10 seconds is right. But it could be observer bias.

On Doms, they have enough attacks that you can skip slotting it... but it's still a good source of self-buffing procs, knocks everyone around the target down, and drains the primary target. I use it on my Ele/Earth in between Tremor/Fissure, since there will be a downtime, as long as there are enough mobs in the area to make AoEs more worthwhile than single-target. This coincides with the fact that it's more useful at the beginning of the fight when not all the mobs are drained. After a couple of rounds, I switch to Seismic Smash in its place, but it's definitely worth using a couple of times at the start of the fight. It also helps stack Holds on a Boss without getting attacked, at lower levels when Domination is down.

That's a good point about the AoE making it less likely to miss after the first attack. So it's kind of like a single target attack that happens to have an AoE afterwards, similar to a wider version of the knockdown in Propel.

On my Elec/Psi build I used to take Jolting Chain and proc it out, but was never satisfied with the results. It felt like it took ages to finish off spawns. However its possible thats because that specific combo already has 100% chance to knock in TK Thrust (which I convert to KD). That is pretty useful so I can see why a different build might like Chains.

I did end up adding Gremlins back into the build because of their chains. They cast it every 6 seconds. That knockdown I do find somewhat useful, but mainly because I get it with no cast time because the Gremlins handle firing it. They're reasonably good at firing it first thing upon approaching a new pack, eliminating part of the reason I would cast it.

That said I do see the synergy between Static Field/Jolting Chain/endurance drain. 

I do wish Jolting Chain drained endurance on secondhand and thirdhand targets. The fact that it doesn't feels like a bug or oversight.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later

Thank you so much for your answers.  I was questioning my powerset choice but not anymore: I'm looking forward to levelling this character.

I actually rerolled him into her because I can't stand the male running animation, it looks like poor Phazeon has a Nemesis staff stuck up his pride.  

And I wrote her a really neat bio so she's all set and ready to roll. 

So you guys say that elec doesn't play very well with domination.  What DOES domination do anyway?  How does it build up and recharge?

As for KB issues, I thought about making her fly about. Hovering just above so KB becomes ghetto-KD.  Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

So you guys say that elec doesn't play very well with domination.  What DOES domination do anyway?  How does it build up and recharge?

As for KB issues, I thought about making her fly about. Hovering just above so KB becomes ghetto-KD.  Thoughts?

Domination is both an actual mechanic and a concept.

"Domination" is the name of a power. Actually, more precisely, it's a group of powers. The Domination group of powers do things like make the Rage meter visible, add Rage whenever you attack, and actually serve as a clickable.

The clickable power most of us are familiar with has these atttributes:

• 90 seconds of mezz protection
  • 90 seconds of scale 1 "Stealth" (more on this in a second)
  • 90 seconds of a full Rage bar
  • -100% Rage after 90 seconds

"Stealth" is an attribute reused from other archetypes to indicate the Dominator is in Domination mode. While Stealth >=1, the Dominator gets Domination effects, in theory.

The Stealth attrib doesn't actually do anything on its own though. Each individual power has to be custom coded to look for the attrib and react to it. When people say Electric or Ice Control don't play well with Domination what they mean is the powers aren't coded to interact with it.

"Perma-dom" is a weird result of a couple of overlapping effects. Basically, there's an AttribMod on the clickable Domination power that's supposed to wipe out your Rage bar after 90 seconds. However, this AttribMod is set to Replace. So, if Domination recharges before 90 seconds is up, you can click it (because the "must have 100% Rage" requirement is met) and doing so resets the 90 second timer for the next crash. It's a complete accident that it works this way, but after players discovered it, the dev team just kind of went with it and it came to define the classat end game.

I posted some I24 code readouts for the Domination sets of powers below if you're interested in the specifics. Homecoming may have updated it since this version, but this is how it worked as of Issue 24 on live.

Spoiler

Power Inherent.Inherent.Domination_Rage
{
    Name                 "Domination_Rage"             
    DisplayName          "P3747213569"
    BuyRequires          $archetype @Class_Dominator ==
    ActivateRequires     $archetype @Class_Dominator ==
    Type                 kAuto
    Accuracy             1
    EntsAffected         kCaster
    EntsAutoHit          kCaster
    Target               kCaster
    Range                0
    EnduranceCost        0
    IdeaCost             0
    InterruptTime        0
    TimeToActivate       0
    RechargeTime         0
    ActivatePeriod       0
    EffectArea           kCharacter
    Radius               0
    Arc                  0
    IgnoreStrength       False
    DisplayShortHelp     "P2748454842"
    DisplayHelp          "P3154525182"
    IconName             "Inherent_BuffEffects.tga"
    TimeToConfirm        0
    ShowInManage         kFalse
    ShowInInventory      kFalse
    ShowInInfo           kFalse
    ShowBuffIcon         kFalse
    MaxBoosts            0

AttribMod
    {
        Name                 "Ones"                        
        Table                "Melee_Ones"                  
        Aspect               kAbs
        Attrib               kRage
        Target               kSelf
        Scale                0
        Type                 kExpression
        AllowStrength        kTrue
        AllowResistance      kFalse
        Delay                0
        Duration             0
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
        NearGround           kFalse
        CancelOnMiss         kFalse
        StackType            kStack
        Requires             ActivateAttackClick target.EventCount> 0 >
        MagnitudeExpr        ActivateAttackClick target.EventCount>  3 * Str.kRage source> *
    }
}

Power Inherent.Inherent.Domination_Meter
{
    Name                 "Domination_Meter"            
    Accuracy             1
    Range                0
    EnduranceCost        0
    IdeaCost             0
    InterruptTime        0
    TimeToActivate       0
    RechargeTime         0
    ActivatePeriod       0
    Radius               0
    Arc                  0
    IgnoreStrength       True
    TimeToConfirm        0
    MaxBoosts            0

AttribMod
    {
        Aspect               kCur
        Attrib               kMeter
        Scale                0
        Type                 kExpression
        AllowStrength        kFalse
        Delay                0
        Duration             0
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
        MagnitudeExpr        kRage source> .01 *
    }
}

Power Inherent.Inherent.Domination_Boost
{
    Name                 "Domination_Boost"            
    Accuracy             1
    EntsAffected         kTeammate
    EntsAutoHit          kTeammate
    TargetVisibility     kNone
    Range                0
    EnduranceCost        0
    IdeaCost             0
    InterruptTime        0
    TimeToActivate       0
    RechargeTime         0
    ActivatePeriod       10
    EffectArea           kSphere
    Radius               300
    Arc                  0
    TimeToConfirm        0
    MaxTargetsHit        16
    MaxBoosts            0

AttribMod
    {
        Aspect               kStr
        Scale                0.1667
        Type                 kMagnitude
        Delay                0
        Duration             10
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
        AllowCombatMods      kFalse
    }
}

Power Inherent.Inherent.Domination_Mode
{
    Name                 "Domination_Mode"             
    Accuracy             1
    Range                0
    EnduranceCost        0
    IdeaCost             0
    InterruptTime        0
    TimeToActivate       0
    RechargeTime         0
    ActivatePeriod       0.5
    Radius               0
    Arc                  0
    TimeToConfirm        0
    MaxBoosts            0

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kSetMode
        Scale                1
        Type                 kConstant
        Delay                0
        Duration             0.8
        Magnitude            kDomination
        Period               1
        Chance               1
        StackType            kOverlap
        Requires             kRage source> 90 >
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kNullBool
        Target               kTarget
        Scale                1
        Delay                0
        Duration             0.75
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
        StackType            kReplace
        ContinuingFX         Powers/Ability/DominationContinuing.fx
        Requires             kRage source> 90 >
        AllowCombatMods      kFalse
    }
}

Power Inherent.Inherent.Domination
{
    Name                 "Domination"                  
    ModesRequired        kDomination
    Type                 kClick
    Accuracy             1
    Range                0
    EnduranceCost        0
    IdeaCost             0
    InterruptTime        0
    TimeToActivate       1.17
    RechargeTime         200
    ActivatePeriod       0
    Radius               0
    Arc                  0
    VisualFX             "menu\Powers\AnimFX\Inherent_Domination.pfx"
    include              menu\Powers\AnimFX\Inherent_Domination.pfx
    TimeToConfirm        0
    CastThroughHold      kTrue
    CastThroughSleep     kTrue
    CastThroughStun      kTrue
    CastThroughTerrorize kTrue
    MaxBoosts            0

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kStealth
        Scale                1
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
        ContinuingFX         POWERS\Ability\DominationActivation.fx
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kStealth
        Scale                -100
        Delay                90
        Duration             0
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kEndurance
        Scale                1
        Delay                0
        Duration             0
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Aspect               kRes
        Attrib               kKnockback
        Scale                100
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kKnockup
        Scale                100
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kKnockback
        Scale                -5
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kKnockup
        Scale                -5
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kRepel
        Scale                100
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kRepel
        Scale                -5
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Name                 "Res_Boolean"                 
        Table                "Melee_Res_Boolean"           
        Attrib               kStun
        Scale                -30
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
        Requires             isPVPMap? !
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kHeld
        Scale                -30
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kSleep
        Scale                -30
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kImmobilize
        Scale                -30
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kConfused
        Scale                -30
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kTerrorized
        Scale                -30
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kStun
        Scale                3
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
        Requires             isPVPMap?
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kHeld
        Scale                3
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kSleep
        Scale                3
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kImmobilize
        Scale                3
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kConfused
        Scale                3
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Attrib               kTerrorized
        Scale                3
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Scale                100
        Delay                0
        Duration             90
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

AttribMod
    {
        Scale                -1000
        Delay                90
        Duration             0
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }

// AttribMod
    // {
    //     Name                 "Ones"                        
    //     Table                "Melee_Ones"                  
    //     Aspect               kCur
    //     Attrib               kToHit
    //     Target               kSelf
    //     Scale                0.25
    //     Type                 kMagnitude
    //     AllowStrength        kFalse
    //     AllowResistance      kFalse
    //     Delay                0
    //     Duration             15
    //     Magnitude            1
    //     Period               0
    //     Chance               1
    //     NearGround           kFalse
    //     CancelOnMiss         kFalse
    //     StackType            kReplace
    // }
}

Power Inherent.Inherent.Domination_Dampen
{
    Name                 "Domination_Dampen"           
    Accuracy             1
    Range                0
    EnduranceCost        0
    IdeaCost             0
    InterruptTime        0
    TimeToActivate       0
    RechargeTime         0
    ActivatePeriod       7.5
    Radius               0
    Arc                  0
    TimeToConfirm        0
    MaxBoosts            0

AttribMod
    {
        Scale                -1
        Delay                0
        Duration             0
        Magnitude            1
        Period               0
        Chance               1
    }
}

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 3

Thank you so much for this clear and complete answer!  

I gathered some of it on my own yesterday night when I activated the power and noticed the buff icon top-right so I right-clicked it and saw all the mezz ptotection and the other buffs.  Very, very nice.

And I was getting interested with trying an Ice/Ice dom.  Seems I have a knack for sets that don't dominate well, unfortunately.