Fix the Civilians faction, please.

Take One

In the AE, the Civilians faction contains both "ordinary" nameless NPC civilians, the likes of which we see wandering around the world, and lots of "named" NPCs like Amanda Vines and Tsoo Tattoo artists, Baby New Year and other such creatures.

The problem is that there is a "Random" selection which picks from all of these entities and uses it to populate a Rescue objective, for example. It is much more likely to grab a named entity than one of the unnamed generic ones which usually is the ones you actually want.

I suggest the creation of a new Civilians group which only contains the unnamed NPCs, and a random selector, so we can have random civilians show up in our missions without having to face the risk of seeing Tsoo tattoo artists or Baby New Year where they don't belong.

I don't think changing the current group is a good idea, because that would possibly break existing missions, so the creation of a new "clean" group is probably best.

Edited by Take One
  • Like 6

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

• 4 months later

I just realized a perhaps simpler option to fix this faction.

All the unique named individuals in the faction should be marked so as not to auto spawn, much like we can mark bosses and AVs in our custom factions to not auto spawn.

Also the unique individuals without a proper name, such as the Tsoo tattoo artist, who is an individual but doesn't have a name, should be marked in this fashion.

Like in the screenshot below:

image.png.6c6ce75c9fd8e5ada2d5b0aa7339c5ff.png

That would just leave the truly random civilians to spawn, and still letting us place all the available characters deliberately.

Unless I misunderstand how the "random" choice works, or there's a difference in how our custom factions and the game's standard factions work, or in how "persons" spawn compared to bosses/EBs/AVs.

It would have the added benefit of not needing a new separate faction.

• Like 1

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora