Leaning into the softer side of the Stalker

Ankhammon

Hey guys, I'm starting a new character type for myself. Never made a stalker to 50 and wanted to try something new.

I decided on an Ice/Dark and am looking for a little feedback.

The idea is actually to be more of a control agent (fears, stuns, Kdown, some holds and a good amount of -rech) and still do decent damage.

Have a look at my first attempt at a build for this guy and tell me if I'm missing something (like the concept won't work. 🙂 )

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.1.25
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Stalker
Primary Power Set: Ice Melee
Secondary Power Set: Dark Armor
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Presence
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Sword -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(50)
Level 1: Hide -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), Rct-ResDam%(3), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(3)
Level 2: Frost -- PstBls-Dmg/Rng(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(42), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(43), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), PstBls-Dam%(43), ImpSwf-Dam%(45)
Level 4: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(5), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(5), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(7), UnbGrd-Max HP%(7)
Level 6: Assassin's Ice Sword -- SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprStlGl-Dmg/Rchg(15), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprStlGl-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprStlGl-Rchg/Hide%(40)
Level 8: Murky Cloud -- RctArm-ResDam(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(9), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(9), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(11), GldArm-3defTpProc(11)
Level 10: Shadow Dweller -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 12: Build Up -- AdjTrg-Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(13), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(40)
Level 16: Obsidian Shield -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam(17), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(17), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 18: Ice Patch -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 20: Dark Regeneration -- Arm-Dam%(A), ThfofEss-+End%(21), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Heal(21), TchoftheN-%Dam(23), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(23), Erd-%Dam(34)
Level 22: Pacify -- Acc-I(A)
Level 24: Intimidate -- GlmoftheA-Dam%(A), GlmoftheA-Acc/EndRdx(25), GlmoftheA-Fear/Rng(25)
Level 26: Freezing Touch -- Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(27), Hct-Dmg(27), Hct-Dam%(37), UnbCns-Dam%(37), TchofDth-Dam%(39)
Level 28: Cloak of Fear -- GlmoftheA-Dam%(A), CldSns-%Dam(29), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(29), GlmoftheA-Acc/EndRdx(31), GlmoftheA-EndRdx/Fear(31)
Level 30: Invoke Panic -- UnsTrr-Stun%(A), GlmoftheA-Dam%(31), GlmoftheA-Acc/EndRdx(36), UnsTrr-Acc/EndRdx(37)
Level 32: Frozen Aura -- FrtHyp-Plct%(A), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(33), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(33), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), ScrDrv-Dam%(34), Erd-%Dam(34)
Level 35: Oppressive Gloom -- AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(A), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(36), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(36)
Level 38: Unrelenting -- DctWnd-Rchg(A), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(39), DctWnd-Heal(42)
Level 41: Moonbeam -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(45), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(50)
Level 44: Shadow Meld -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(48)
Level 49: Soul Transfer -- Dsrnt-I(A)
Level 1: Assassination
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(15)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Clarion Radial Epiphany
Level 50: Support Radial Embodiment
Level 50: Vigor Radial Paragon
------------

I haven't played around much with any of the Presence powers but I think broadly speaking combining fear and stun is kind of a nombo as the aggro from the stun aura will continuously break the fear, and ice patch is much stronger mitigation anyway.  Come to think of it I'm not sure if slotting damage procs in fear - like in sleep - makes the power completely pointless.

I also don't think the Placate proc in Frozen Aura will do much good for the same reason - oppressive gloom should break it quickly - and it's my understanding that you won't be able to get free crits from it (the Placate power from the Stalker primary puts you back into hidden and it's that attribute that gives you the crit, not the placated status.)

Conceptually I like it but you may be better off with a primary that puts out stuns to stack with Oppressive Gloom.

Finally you have missed something huge in the build which is that you don't have the Stalker Build Up ATO slotted anywhere and so I would highly recommend working in both that and the Gaussian Build Up proc into Build Up because +160% damage build ups are sick.

I'm a fan of the Presence Pool; one of my Stalkers uses it. Only considering the powers you have put in the build:

• single-slot only for Intimidate. Without a new set for Fear, it isn't useful enough to justify any more slots. This is a fine candidate for an HO.
  • Pacify won't work like the Stalker Placate, if that matters to you.
  • 5-slot Invoke Panic with Glimpse of the Abyss. If you add a 6th slot for the %stun piece you can get some extra effects it looks like you are chasing.
  • I always try to 6-slot Unrelenting with Preventive Medicine. It is a very nice damage boost

16 hours ago, Machariel said:

I haven't played around much with any of the Presence powers but I think broadly speaking combining fear and stun is kind of a nombo as the aggro from the stun aura will continuously break the fear, and ice patch is much stronger mitigation anyway.  Come to think of it I'm not sure if slotting damage procs in fear - like in sleep - makes the power completely pointless.

I also don't think the Placate proc in Frozen Aura will do much good for the same reason - oppressive gloom should break it quickly - and it's my understanding that you won't be able to get free crits from it (the Placate power from the Stalker primary puts you back into hidden and it's that attribute that gives you the crit, not the placated status.)

Conceptually I like it but you may be better off with a primary that puts out stuns to stack with Oppressive Gloom.

Finally you have missed something huge in the build which is that you don't have the Stalker Build Up ATO slotted anywhere and so I would highly recommend working in both that and the Gaussian Build Up proc into Build Up because +160% damage build ups are sick.

My thought was that the fear is really only there to stop them from running after stun affects them. I can turn off stun after it hits minions anyway.

Wasn't sure about the proc in fear damage and if it would even work much just figured it would fire off once in a while which should be fine with the rest.

The proc in sleep was more of a I wanted to play with it and see so if that doesn't do much then i'll drop it.

and ty for the Gaussian proc. I just didn't think about it and missed it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tidge said:

I'm a fan of the Presence Pool; one of my Stalkers uses it. Only considering the powers you have put in the build:

• single-slot only for Intimidate. Without a new set for Fear, it isn't useful enough to justify any more slots. This is a fine candidate for an HO.
  • Pacify won't work like the Stalker Placate, if that matters to you.
  • 5-slot Invoke Panic with Glimpse of the Abyss. If you add a 6th slot for the %stun piece you can get some extra effects it looks like you are chasing.
  • I always try to 6-slot Unrelenting with Preventive Medicine. It is a very nice damage boost

You're prolly right about single slot for intimidate. was just throwing stuff in for the extra hp.

I didn't know about how Pacify worked... so, no ass strike till hidden?

and slots are my bane for the other two. i'll try to rework stuff when i'm actually off work and see if I can get it stronger.

1 hour ago, Ankhammon said:

I didn't know about how Pacify worked... so, no ass strike till hidden?

Pacify will not allow immediate Assassin's Strikes for Stalkers, nor will it benefit VEATs with their similar mechanic. As near as I have been able to determine, it has only one reliable use: If you find yourself in a long, drawn-out fight with an AV (and no other enemies are aggro-ed, you can use Pacify to give yourself some breathing room.

Frankly: Pacify is such a nigh-useless power, allowing it to work like Placate does (but only for the AT that already have Placate) would make the power potentially worthwhile for a few classes. Ultimately I'd rather see the Presence Pool simply allow Invoke Panic as the second power pick, as their is so little synergy between Pacify, Provoke and Intimidate that having to take two of those first three is quite a punishment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tidge said:

Pacify will not allow immediate Assassin's Strikes for Stalkers, nor will it benefit VEATs with their similar mechanic. As near as I have been able to determine, it has only one reliable use: If you find yourself in a long, drawn-out fight with an AV (and no other enemies are aggro-ed, you can use Pacify to give yourself some breathing room.

Frankly: Pacify is such a nigh-useless power, allowing it to work like Placate does (but only for the AT that already have Placate) would make the power potentially worthwhile for a few classes. Ultimately I'd rather see the Presence Pool simply allow Invoke Panic as the second power pick, as their is so little synergy between Pacify, Provoke and Intimidate that having to take two of those first three is quite a punishment.

I don't mind the idea of Pacify simply for an AV fight breather. I was just hoping it would be more like Pacify. 

I use Invoke Panic on my Poison defender and it works pretty well. And Intimidate will be good enough if it just stops most runners. I actually consider those as a poor mans version of immobs. 

in all, the presence pool offers two good powers and two so-so powers. With what I want to do with this guy, it might be ok. Just have to see. 

• 2 weeks later