is /FF at endgame useless?

Jawbreaker

I was thinking about rolling an Ill/FF. Back in the day ( and while leveling) FF is a great team asset, but once incarnate powers are filling up the status bars, I'm wondering if /FF makes any difference at all? I don't really see and /ff trollers around any more. 

Ask me about my City Of Heroes patch problem https://levelzeroems.com/search?q=City of Heroes

1 hour ago, Jawbreaker said:

Wow, sounds like FF needs a total revamp. I guess it's still good for a thematic character

I have a Water Blast/Force Field Corruptor that I have about 160 veteran levels on.  It's an absolutely perfect combination for Rikti mothership raids.  Seriously, I can't think of a better character for mothership raids.  It's also very good for BAF Trials and Underground Trials.  But the rest of the game...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Apparition said:

... an absolutely perfect combination for Rikti mothership raids.  Seriously, I can't think of a better character for mothership raids.  It's also very good for BAF Trials and Underground Trials.  But the rest of the game...

Didnt they also reduce the vanguard merit > reward merit conversion ratio? As one of the only pieces of content that a force fielder will actually find relevance in, you could also say that the only changes made to force fields has been a nerf. (Lol) 

Interestingly, and on a personal note, those 3 activities are all at the top of my "least favorite and most boring ways to spend coh game time" list. 

Currently on fire.

3 hours ago, DreadShinobi said:

Didnt they also reduce the vanguard merit > reward merit conversion ratio? As one of the only pieces of content that a force fielder will actually find relevance in, you could also say that the only changes made to force fields has been a nerf. (Lol) 

Interestingly, and on a personal note, those 3 activities are all at the top of my "least favorite and most boring ways to spend coh game time" list. 

Vanguard merit > reward merit conversion was reduced from ten to one to thirty to one back in July 2019 or so, yes.  However, it's still not bad.  Rikti mothership raids are actually my favorite thing to do in the game.  So just like I lead Rikti mothership raids back on Champion and Exalted prior to sunset, I now lead them on Excelsior.  Lately, mine have been averaging about 50 reward merits per raid, which isn't bad.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

Lately, mine have been averaging about 50 reward merits per raid, which isn't bad.

Discounting time spent waiting for enough players to gather and time spent downing the pylons, it is 30 minutes in the bowl right? That's 50 reward merits/30-40 mins assuming a quick gathering compared to 20-25 minutes doing apex and tin mage for 160 merits + 2 incarnate salvage drops. If you have fun doing the MSRs, then by all means, but the rewards for doing so got gutted.

Currently on fire.

If you want a set that buffs defense, /Cold is a better choice. It doesn't have the mezz protection of Dispersion Bubble, but it has some really good debuffs that are much more useful in the end game.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 3/23/2021 at 11:37 AM, Jawbreaker said:

I was thinking about rolling an Ill/FF. Back in the day ( and while leveling) FF is a great team asset, but once incarnate powers are filling up the status bars, I'm wondering if /FF makes any difference at all? I don't really see and /ff trollers around any more. 

3 hours ago, Uun said:

If you want a set that buffs defense, /Cold is a better choice. It doesn't have the mezz protection of Dispersion Bubble, but it has some really good debuffs that are much more useful in the end game.

As uun mentioned cold does most of what ff does and also offers some stellar debuff powers that accelerate your phantom army damage. Ill/cold is a great combo for soloing content and taking down avs and gms. You may be interested in looking up what @Frosticus has to say about ill/cold.

• Like 1

Currently on fire.

• 4 weeks later

Cold is slept on a little bit.   

Directional Defense Buffs.  So you don't have to worry about Toxic or Psy gaps. 

Strong single target debuffs.   The -500% regen, -Res,  -Def, -Damage, -Recharge, -Speed

Great set.

• Like 1