Chat /bind commands cursor bug

ShogunGunshow

As some of you may remember, there was a way in classic City of Heroes to do unique things to your chat bubble, like color the borders, or to even make attributes of your chat bubble transparent. This was done by adding <color #xxxxxx>, <bordercolor #xxxxxx>, and/or <bgcolor #xxxxxx> to your text line before entering what you wanted to say.

Obviously, we didn't type all that out every time. The traditional way of doing this was to enter "/bind enter beginchat <color #xxxxxx><bordercolor #xxxxxxx><bgcolor #xxxxxx>" into the text box and confirm. Thereafter, whenever you would hit enter, the game would automatically spit out the color codes you wanted and would place the text cursor at the end of the string.

CoH: Homecoming is currently (well, was as of last night) bugged, and is no longer doing this properly. On pressing enter, the text string is entered into the chat entry box, but the text cursor is placed somewhere off window where the player cannot see. If one hits the arrow key enough times, they can make the cursor reappear in the chat space. I've been using an autohotkey script to get around this issue (by having it automatically Ctrl-Left Arrow then Right Arrow to place the text cursor properly) but it's something that could stand to be fixed.

• 1 month later

Ran into this issue myself and with the help of my SG mate and a helpful person in help chat i managed to determine some more details about it.

The issue is caused by the "<>" characters specifically used in chat bubble color commands like "<bgcolor red>"

The behavior is that the bind works as normal, for instance the bind (/bind enter "beginchat <bgcolor red>") will result in <bgcolor red> appearing in the chat box, but here is where it derails. The chat text field remains highlighted as per normal when composing a message, however the cursor is missing and any text entered is buffered but ignored. After clicking into the text field or pressing the arrow keys the cursor will appear and begin to traverse the field normally, when you start to type any text how ever, and text buffered in the previous step will be immediately spat into the text field at the cursor location.

Again we narrowed down the offending component to the html tags "<>" as any other beginchat bind or macro works fine. And the issues immediatly flare up when one of them is introduced.

I have also confirmed 3 separate people with the same issue, and 3 separate people who do not experience it.

I partly ruled out OS issues as im on win 7 and one of the other having the issue is on win 10

I've attempted a re-verification and resetting all settings and binds to default, and may try a reinstall later.

If you need ANY assistance in gaining more debug info feel free to contact me in game, or on my Discord handle Koopak

Edit: For clarity, thanks PaxArcana

[...] carrot tags "<>" [...]

Two minor nitpicks, and I apologize for any offense I might give with this moment of pedantry:

(a) the word you are looking for is "carat", not "carrot".

© the actual character called a carat is ^; the < and > are "less than" and "greater tan" respectively, or in the context you are using, should probably be called html marks or similar.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

/bind key "beginchat /s $$<color #000000><bordercolor #000000><bgcolor #26BEDFDD>"

Ashlocke.

If you recall we worked on that in help chat together and it unfortunately did not work for me despite working just fine for you. The $$ the chat bubble tags to not be added to the chat box and to not be processed so while the bind behaves correctly up until i submit the message, the bubble ends up being defaulted. /showbind does show the full command bound correctly, so I can only assume this is another bug in the command processing.

• 1 year later
On 7/6/2019 at 6:58 PM, PaxArcana said:

(a) the word you are looking for is "carat", not "carrot".

© the actual character called a carat is ^; the < and > are "less than" and "greater tan" respectively, or in the context you are using, should probably be called html marks or similar.

An even more minor nitpick -- the character ^ is called a "caret"; a "carat" is a unit of measurement for precious stones and pearls equal to 200 milligrams.

• Thanks 1