Can flashbacks be done w/o "Task Force" mode?

I've had this problem with Flashback mode and AE since their introduction.  It is aggravating that I can't just set me level like on Brainstorm, or save my spot in an arc if I want to take a break with that toon to do something else. I never understood why the original devs locked you into TF mode to accomplish the level down. I am assuming there is some code reason.

Can it be undone? I'd much rather set my level and have all of my old contacts from that level become active.

Edited by RogueWolf

• RogueWolf changed the title to Can flashbacks be done w/o "Task Force" mode?

Prior to Ouro, I think Task Forces were the only way the game auto-exemplar'd you down to a certain level range. 

So I'm sure it was just low-hanging fruit for the original devs to recycle it. Plug-and-Play solution, you know?

It probably *did* make it a lot more controllable to handle things like the varied Ouro badges though.

TF Mode probably still needs to be "in force" to allow for any credit to be earned towards any Ouro badge.

Though I wouldn't object to an "ouro is not involved" means of just choosing to exemplar yourself at any point to do old missions outside of Ouro. 

I think task force mode was used to prevent your contacts from getting messed up.  So not being able to access them and potentially be on the same mission twice or whatever other bugs or exploits could be used.  Im sure they could have accomplished the same thing without using taskforce mode, but they already had a system in place that could do what they needed at the time so they used it instead of programming something new.

All that being said,  im in favor of flashback missions being outside of taskforce mode so i can invite people after its started or go do something else and come back later.  I did a long flashback solo once, took me almost 3 hours, and several times there was a group forming up that i otherwise would have joined if it didnt force me to start the flashback over after leaving it.  I also had no idea what i was getting myself into timewise but thats a whole different subject and could vary depending on your powers and playstyle.

Probably another reason it's run in TF mode - unlike regular contacts, everyone on the team gets the arc's merit rewards (instead of just the owner).

That said, I'd totally be up for an option to either downscale (or entirely remove that) in favor of being able to invite friends (or EB/AV help) to an in-progress arc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

I get the reasoning at the time. All those make sense. But if there's a way to uncouple flashback from taskforce mode, I would love that. I really wish there was a way to exemp down to story content level without having to get locked in this mode where you can't leave to do something else and come back to it.