Water/Electricity/? - looking for a workable build or simply advice.

Aeroprism

Just loaded Rainy, my Water/Elec blaster, I think she was the second character I rolled on Homecoming. I played her a lot with my friends until they all left the game.  Now she's 38, all decked out with generic IOs and bad power choices and I'd like to make her fun to play.

I'm not looking for x8+4 material.  I just want to be able to explore content and play exciting battles in my missions and not feel like I'm stuck with poking at three even-con minions all the time.

So what powers do we skip in these powersets? What's to keep? Which epic to choose? I love blapping, I love range, I love both the powersets.

A skeleton build would be appreciated (or a complete one if you have one handy).  Essentially, I'm just facing this interesting character that's going to waste because I never took time to solo her (teams are too easy...)

Thank you, awesome people of Homecoming.

Edited by Aeroprism

You might want to see if there's a build in this topic.  @JJDrakken is good at builds.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Wow, I didn't even know this topic existed, NICE!

There was one such build. I grabbed it and studied it.  It's not quite how I want to play my blaster but the learning experience was indeed there, thank you!

I looked at that build.

image.png.21cb2161f1dad49f7bbd355d41dc9498.png

Skipping Dynamo alone should give you pause.

Skipping water burst, full 6 slotting of sets in each power, teleport target, fold space... that build lacks cohesion and needs a lot of work.

I wouldn't recommend looking at that thread for builds. 1st they are just random builds which may not suit your playstyle. 2nd there are plenty of experienced players in the AT forums that can help you tailor your build.

/elec favors melee blasting. This is how I'd approach the build.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Water Blast
Secondary Power Set: Electricity Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Aqua Bolt -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(7)
Level 1: Electric Fence -- HO:Endo(A)
Level 2: Water Burst -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(40), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), Ann-ResDeb%(45)
Level 4: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(9)
Level 6: Whirlpool -- Artl-Dam/End(A), AchHee-ResDeb%(7), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(9), Artl-Dam/Rech(11), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(37)
Level 8: Tidal Forces -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(11)
Level 12: Dehydrate -- SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(13), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(13), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(17)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Thunder Strike -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(40)
Level 18: Water Jet -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(23)
Level 20: Dynamo -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/End(23), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(25), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(34), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(34), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(36)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(25)
Level 26: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(27), ShlWal-Def(27), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(29)
Level 28: Power Sink -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/End(29), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(33), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(33), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(33), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(34)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(31), Rct-Def/EndRdx(31), Rct-ResDam%(31)
Level 32: Geyser -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(42), Artl-Dam/Rech(42), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(43), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(43), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(43)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def(36)
Level 38: Force of Thunder -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(46), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(50), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(50)
Level 41: Shocking Grasp -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(46), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(49), Mk'Bit-Dam%(49)
Level 44: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 47: Charged Brawl -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(47), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(47), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(48), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(48)
Level 49: Build Up -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Combo Level 1
Level 1: Combo Level 2
Level 1: Combo Level 3
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
------------

Go through my posts in this forum to understand why I favor Ranged Softcap over S/L softcap even on a melee blaster build. I also posted my thoughts and experiences on playing a melee blaster successfully many times in the forums.

• Like 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

@Nemu this is a LOT closer to what I had in mind, and it's not even that expensive of a build.  Thank you for this. 

Indeed you seem to favor ranged defense.  I have no idea why. A lot of endgame concepts and mechanics still elude me by far in that game.

I've typed out the rationale in various threads. Here's one for reference:

• Like 1

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

15 hours ago, Nemu said:

I looked at that build.

image.png.21cb2161f1dad49f7bbd355d41dc9498.png

Skipping Dynamo alone should give you pause.

Skipping water burst, full 6 slotting of sets in each power, teleport target, fold space... that build lacks cohesion and needs a lot of work.

I wouldn't recommend looking at that thread for builds. 1st they are just random builds which may not suit your playstyle. 2nd there are plenty of experienced players in the AT forums that can help you tailor your build.

/elec favors melee blasting. This is how I'd approach the build.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Water Blast
Secondary Power Set: Electricity Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Aqua Bolt -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(7)
Level 1: Electric Fence -- HO:Endo(A)
Level 2: Water Burst -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(40), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), Ann-ResDeb%(45)
Level 4: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(9)
Level 6: Whirlpool -- Artl-Dam/End(A), AchHee-ResDeb%(7), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(9), Artl-Dam/Rech(11), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(37)
Level 8: Tidal Forces -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(11)
Level 12: Dehydrate -- SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(13), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(13), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(17)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Thunder Strike -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(40)
Level 18: Water Jet -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(23)
Level 20: Dynamo -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/End(23), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(25), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(34), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(34), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(36)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(25)
Level 26: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(27), ShlWal-Def(27), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(29)
Level 28: Power Sink -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/End(29), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(33), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(33), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(33), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(34)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(31), Rct-Def/EndRdx(31), Rct-ResDam%(31)
Level 32: Geyser -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(42), Artl-Dam/Rech(42), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(43), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(43), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(43)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def(36)
Level 38: Force of Thunder -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(46), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(50), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(50)
Level 41: Shocking Grasp -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(46), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(49), Mk'Bit-Dam%(49)
Level 44: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 47: Charged Brawl -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(47), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(47), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(48), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(48)
Level 49: Build Up -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Combo Level 1
Level 1: Combo Level 2
Level 1: Combo Level 3
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
------------

Go through my posts in this forum to understand why I favor Ranged Softcap over S/L softcap even on a melee blaster build. I also posted my thoughts and experiences on playing a melee blaster successfully many times in the forums.  Also your thought that Ranged D is better of S/L. I find silly. After all years of talking shop with Castle back when he was power guy. Less HC changed stuff in all basic coding. Which is probably a nightmare to do. Nearly all attacks be it stunning, ranged, melee, etc... Have some element of S/L in it. Thus it will check for the Defense numbers on that, usually first.  S/L Defense was and is king for a reason, when it comes to Typed Defense.

I would recommend folks to look at that thread for ideas/builds. I put out all sorts of builds, 1000s of builds. But to go disparage what I do as nothing more then bullshit, well thppppttt... Closet o 17k views and tons of DLs, I guess some folks find it interesting. 😄  Also how old was that build you found? Could been before changes/additions to blasters V2 came through.  As for Soft Caps Ranged of S/L, you realize all attacks, nearly all. Have S/L element to them? Thus Talking Shop with Castle back in day, when it comes to Typed Defense, it's still king. Do those being checked first for Defenses, then Positional checked next when attacks are incoming.  So unless HC changed a lot of the code for nearly every power in the game, which is probably a nightmare.

Folks keep trying apply some new fangled whatever to an old fangled game. It's still same stuff from back then, that stuff really has not changed, beyond proliferation and class changes by HC. Those NPC attacks are pretty much the same.   Ranged Defense is a Positional Defense. If something punching you in the face, if your BLAPPING, there are Melee CCs too. Some CCs don't have a ranged component in them, it's strictly typed.

Edited by JJDrakken

On S/L defense I made my position clear in several posts in these forums and I linked one in this thread. Some things you discover after playing it extensively. I started out like you, S/L typed defenses only. Switching to S/L/Ranged made sense to me after I realized that I was using movement to mitigate incoming attacks.

The original build has fold space so it's well after the blaster sustain changes and the build omitted the blaster sustain. I think everyone in the blaster community would agree if there are some powers that you don't skip ever on any blaster build it's the sustain.

Take this as a bit of constructive criticism, your builds lack focus and has poor slot economy from a min/max perspective,

• That 6th slot in the powers you slotted usually doesn't provide any relevant set bonus that contributes to your overall build goal. 9% psi resist, 5% psi defense and 10% fire/cold defense is negligible when you look at your overall numbers, but you invested 5 additional slots for those bonuses.
  • 2 sets of rectified reticles in aim/tidal force will already have offset the 5 slots that you threw into electric fences for the S/L defense.
  • Thunderstrike does knockback and is a good candidate for a force feedback proc and the kb-kd proc.
  • Kinetic combats are way more slot efficient for S/L defense than touch of death.
  • 1lotg 7.5 and 5 red fortune will net you way more global recharge than a full set of reactive defense in scorpion shield.
  • There are more but I'll stop here.

You builds also has odd power choices/omissions. I'm not talking about taking the TP pool, but key powers in the primary/secondary such as water burst/dynamo/water jet, that are generally regarded as must have picks. Melee blasters will also want to pick up force of thunder. Between water burst, FoT and Thunderstrike you can keep mobs around you bouncing for a good while.

I think the intent is good behind what you want to do, getting newer players a head start on the game with some build templates. However, handing out random build to people that have very little knowledge of this game, and by the looks of it have little desire to learn anything since they just keep coming back sticking their hands out for more, isn't helpful to them and to you in the long run. I'm not going to hop into that thread and tell people to stop asking, that would be poor taste and I also suspect will fall on deaf ears. But if someone comes here with such a build asking for feedback I will take it apart and offer feedback. And I expect others to rip my builds apart and offer feedback as well.

• Like 1

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

Well, I'm glad my simple request sparked an active exchange of opinions. 

While I would not consider myself having very little knowledge of the game (I have been playing this forever and some aspects I handle really well, such as the inf market), I'm more a melee enthusiast and I have very little experience with dealing with squishy archetypes.  

So looking at different builds helps me understand the mechanics and wrap my head around new ideas and concepts.

I think I understand what @JJDrakken wants to do with the teleport pool. Gathering up enemies to nuke them more efficiently can be a good strategy, I think.  However, skipping Force of Thunder, which is one of the best CC this character has, and skipping water burst, which is a hugely awesome attack that doubles as soft CC is completely incomprehensible to me. Now, as to what guys tried to achieve with various set bonuses, that would be the part where I have much to learn.