Toggleable Movement Speed Debuff / "Self Slow Down"

TLDR: "Would it be at all possible to introduce some kind of negative speed enhancement, or a temporary power that limits default run speed to the Level 1 Pre-Swift (Inherent Fitness) speed?"

Hi there.

I played City of Villains when it first game out, and eventually experienced City of Heroes, Going Rogue, etcetera. Fun times, still fun now thanks to the game's resurrection. Been playing a while, taking months off, that kind of thing.

It seems like each time I come back however, there's a buff to movement speed. Inherent Fitness pools, buffs to travel powers and temporary powers, increased run speed through Enhancement Sets.

As much as I love and totally approve of the game developing a more fast-paced gameplay style similar to what modern MMOs are opting into, the run speed for my characters is just too damn fast. I'm having trouble navigating caves and offices with my character constantly running into walls, and trying to roleplay is a struggle when my two movement speeds are seductively slow or all-out-sprint.

I might be in the minority here, but with the awesome focus on customization the game and our Homecoming Devs have shown, by giving us as many optional features as possible, would it be at all possible to introduce some kind of negative speed enhancement, or a temporary power that limits default run speed to the Level 1 Pre-Swift (Inherent Fitness) speed?

Cheers for reading—if you do have similar feelings on this issue, please leave a comment and share your experiences, I'm interested in hearing them and hoping we find a common resolution!

• Like 2

Roleplayer of Brutes, Beasts, Monsters and Men

► Casual, Chill, Empathetic, Enthusiastic, Relaxed ◄

4 hours ago, BernardTheBeast said:

TLDR: "Would it be at all possible to introduce some kind of negative speed enhancement, or a temporary power that limits default run speed to the Level 1 Pre-Swift (Inherent Fitness) speed?"

Hi there.

I played City of Villains when it first game out, and eventually experienced City of Heroes, Going Rogue, etcetera. Fun times, still fun now thanks to the game's resurrection. Been playing a while, taking months off, that kind of thing.

It seems like each time I come back however, there's a buff to movement speed. Inherent Fitness pools, buffs to travel powers and temporary powers, increased run speed through Enhancement Sets.

As much as I love and totally approve of the game developing a more fast-paced gameplay style similar to what modern MMOs are opting into, the run speed for my characters is just too damn fast. I'm having trouble navigating caves and offices with my character constantly running into walls, and trying to roleplay is a struggle when my two movement speeds are seductively slow or all-out-sprint.

I might be in the minority here, but with the awesome focus on customization the game and our Homecoming Devs have shown, by giving us as many optional features as possible, would it be at all possible to introduce some kind of negative speed enhancement, or a temporary power that limits default run speed to the Level 1 Pre-Swift (Inherent Fitness) speed?

Cheers for reading—if you do have similar feelings on this issue, please leave a comment and share your experiences, I'm interested in hearing them and hoping we find a common resolution!

Also, there is a inherent walk power that the devs have been modifying in recent patches. That might be too slow, but mentioning it.

On 5/5/2021 at 7:30 AM, KaizenSoze said:

Also, there is a inherent walk power that the devs have been modifying in recent patches. That might be too slow, but mentioning it.

Appreciate you mentioning it, Kaizen Soze! It a bit too slow to be used in combat though.

Heck, even roleplaying is a challenge, when your two movement speeds are seductive-sneaking or cheetah-sprinting.  😛

Roleplayer of Brutes, Beasts, Monsters and Men

► Casual, Chill, Empathetic, Enthusiastic, Relaxed ◄

Maybe they could modify Rest so it doesn't stop you from moving but instead slows you down to default speed.  Would be interesting if there were a "catch your breath" rest mode that slightly boosted your recovery while making you move slower and a "I'm taking a knee" rest mode that requires you to stop moving to recover both Health and Endurance.

Turn off sprint, Prestige and any travel powers.  Go to Null the Gull, disable movement buffs from others, like losing speed boost +run but you still get the +sta recovery.  That should put you at a crawl.  I just don't see how you can be any faster with all that off, IO bonuses to +travel powers are a joke, for +7.5% run its a whopping 1.5 MPH, which maxes out at 8.5 MPH but +speed bonuses are one of the least amount of bonuses you will see in any significant numbers.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I would love to see something like this. I dislike the Quickness power from Super Reflexes, because being forced to sprint through caves is painful. But it's an Auto power, so I can't toggle it off, and if I just skip the power I lose out on its other benefits, like the Recharge bonus. The stealth/movement speed power from Ninjitsu has similar issues - too fast for going through caves, though at least that one is a Toggle power.

New Enhancement -  MaxSpeed (x) /Endurance (38%).      

Use in Prestige Sprints ( and possibly other powers if not open to abuse.)

Basic concept( I believe this could be done with current game tech.)

When  a power this enhancement is in is activated it puts a movement debuff on the player. Comes in 25%, 50%, 75%, and 90%.

Slot this in a prestige sprint and whenever you toggle it on you get the speed debuff on self.

Pro:  Allows players to set their own speed limit to assist those with disabilities, or simply personal preference.

Con: Would require the use of a prestige Sprint.

Would cost some endurance to use, aprox 0.20 End/Sec.

------------------------------

Advanced concepts to improve functionality depending on difficulty in implementing.

1) Suppresses ALL graphic affects of the power slotted.

2) Suppress all Endurance costs and ALL affects of power slotted (All power affects must be done to prevent abuse of slotting in a movement power to eliminate endurance cost.)

3) Instead of a speed debuff have X be the Speed cap of the character. Comes in 5mph, 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50mph. This I believe would be a bit more useful, but I don't know if speed cap can be affected by enhancements, thus the initial suggestion of Speed debuff that I believe can be.

4) Other Quality of life enhancements might be possible (Nullify Steamy mist, etc  on self.)

Edited by KageYume