I'm building a CoH inspired RPG and could use a hand with something

lokiie1984

So way back when the game shut down I set out to write a novel inspired by the game but set in my own semi futuristic world, where things have gone to a bit of an extreme. But as time went on I soon discovered I don't really have the patience for novel writing, even though I hear my writing was pretty good. I'm just more of a visual person. So instead I set it aside for years. Now I have much more time and instead of writing a novel that I

know I'd never finish. I decided, why not make an RPG instead?

Of course it's not as easy as snapping your fingers but oddly enough it's not that complicated either. Most of the systems needed are either already in Unity or are user made plug ins. Granted most aren't free but generally they work really well and have had years of development plus great support. 

So what would I need help with? Let me explain. 

After talking with my girlfriend for a bit about different systems I'd want to use. We came up with the idea of "Relic Items" some would be wearable, some would just be silly trash items. But they'd all unlock a codex entry detailing something about the original owner, how the item was lost and so on. 

For example, "So and So's Lost Tooth. Lost in a fight with So and So." Kinda generic at the moment but you get the idea. 

I hate coming up with character names. I really hate it. So I figured, why not ask the CoH fans if anyone wants to donate some character names. For that purpose, I created a google spread sheet. Anyone that's willing can add their character name, but you can also add other info, such as Archetype, Alignment, a short backstory (I stress the short. I don't know if I'd be able to do much with pages of backstory lol) Power Sets, even Requests for a specific type of item that would unlock your characters codex entry. 

Note: There is no restriction on character names, other then no gibberish. 

Link: Google Sheet 

Also as a side note, if anyone is good with art or animation or even audio and wants to donate their time in that way. Definitely comment or send me a message. Those assets are hard to come by. I thought about ripping out of CoH but I have no idea how or if it'd even work. Plus I think I'd like a more cel shaded art style, brighter colors anyway. 

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Talking about the game helps me straighten out things in my brain too. 

Second note before I space it out: Do I plan to release this game for people to buy? I'd like to keep the option open. Keep everything different enough from CoH that there'd be no copy right issues but whether I'd list it on steam for sale... I'm not sure yet. Right now I'm leaning towards setting it up as a free / donation game. Also this is a single player game, no online systems at all. 

And now that I've thrown this wall of text at you all, I'm off. 

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to seeing all your names plus all the other info. 

I will be lazy and just enter character names here:

Tomb Fisted Kid - undead cowboy marshal from the old west

Pro Patria Mori - WWI pilot who gained powers from an experimental poison gas attack.  Flight, invulnerability, uses a wrench as a weapon (mace)

Major Tomorrow - U.S astronaut who got warped into the future.  Comes back with gravity and time control.  Wears a futuristic space suit with red white and blue theme.

Shackled Soul - Electric demon from the Rogue Isles.  Bound by the Legacy Chain to become a hero.

Aqueous Solution - Scientist who developed water control powers due to a science experiment.  I am the solution!

• 1 month later