Atlantis in CoH

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

I would love to see an underwater zone done well, and for there to be actual depth to the water around the world in CoX.  At the same time, I cringe a little, because .... there's VERY few games that did underwater well. Cinematically, physics of moving around, making it look like an actual part of a biosphere, etc. 

Subnautica and Bioshock immediately leap to mind, but those are both very tall orders. 

I didn’t mind dcuo ‘s Atlantis 

I have a crime fighting sea urchin who was jealous of all the cred and attention Atlanteans and other sea based humanoid vertebrates get.

So they must exist or there'd be no reason a 6 foot spiky, smelly greeny blue Echinoderm is running about the city beating up muggers. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

I have a crime fighting sea urchin who was jealous of all the cred and attention Atlanteans and other sea based humanoid vertebrates get.

So they must exist or there'd be no reason a 6 foot spiky, smelly greeny blue Echinoderm is running about the city beating up muggers. 

andy-jones-sea-urchine-glam.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, MTeague said:

I would love to see an underwater zone done well, and for there to be actual depth to the water around the world in CoX.  At the same time, I cringe a little, because .... there's VERY few games that did underwater well. Cinematically, physics of moving around, making it look like an actual part of a biosphere, etc. 

Subnautica and Bioshock immediately leap to mind, but those are both very tall orders. 

loved WoW's underwater zone of Vashj'ir. WoW, generally, is full of hits and misses and Vashj'ir was a solid hit for me. Sadly, I think I was the only one who enjoyed it. The story was well told and the added verticality was a refreshing break from WoW's turgid combat.

Bioshock is interesting because while you are technically underwater, not once do you swim outside of the introduction sequence and that's strictly horizontal. The aquatic design in Bioshock is all flavour and doesn't impact gameplay at all (and that's not a criticism; it's a phenomenal game). Subnautica, on the other hand, has swimming (and later, piloting vehicles) in a three-dimensional landscape at its core to the point that the few times that you surface to explore, it feels a bit clunky.  

Add a zone with "pressure" as a debuff that adds an end recover debuff as you get lower. Add a zone-wide power that adds a flight power with the swimming animation set below the "surface". Floating islands with safe "pockets" like in the Shadow Shard but with Cimeroran architecture . Coralax doing whatever Coralax do. Give the Atlas Park blimp a whaley makeover. Slap down a few shipwrecks. Make all fire attacks elicit a quiet "tss". Bob's yer uncle - underwater zone. Please, contain your applause. 

• Like 2
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

<double post> 

Edited by Gulbasaur
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

20 hours ago, Heroestoday1 said:

So, I have an idea for an Atlantean character, already picked out the powersets, pool powers, epic pools and the like. I even have a very nice idea of what the general appearance and costume of this character would look like. For the background of the character, however, I wanted to mold them around the lore of CoH on the concept of Atlantis. I did a little digging and came to find out that the original developers stated that Atlantis doesn't exist in the CoH universe. Which begs the question: Would I be breaking any rules set by Paragon Studios or the Homecoming team by claiming that this character hails from Atlantis? Would it be considered lore-breaking if I claimed the character was from Atlantis?

IIRC, Atlantis is at least mentioned by a Fifth Column NPC in the ITF.  It's a throwaway line, in the third or fourth missions, and it probably isn't noticed three quarters of the time. 

That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with developing a body of personal lore to serve as a backstory or shared backstory for your characters, and have it interface at some point with game lore. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

13 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with developing a body of personal lore to serve as a backstory or shared backstory for your characters, and have it interface at some point with game lore. 

Good to know! Thanks!