Atlantis in CoH

Hi there.

Looking for opinions here.

So, I have an idea for an Atlantean character, already picked out the powersets, pool powers, epic pools and the like. I even have a very nice idea of what the general appearance and costume of this character would look like. For the background of the character, however, I wanted to mold them around the lore of CoH on the concept of Atlantis. I did a little digging and came to find out that the original developers stated that Atlantis doesn't exist in the CoH universe. Which begs the question: Would I be breaking any rules set by Paragon Studios or the Homecoming team by claiming that this character hails from Atlantis? Would it be considered lore-breaking if I claimed the character was from Atlantis?

Thanks.

,,,we create here.  creating, being inspired by 2000 year old legends....it is just natural and perfect

personally i say forget the original Devs and dig into where your character would fit.   hmmmm....underwater....underground....hmmmm.   leviathon....  i am thinking the Coralax made a journey to recover an artifact and made a connection with Atlantean culture....

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Idea…. When Atlantis was destroyed in a parallel universe where it DID exist, some of it’s inhabitants managed to escape to alternate universe’s where it never existed. Once there, these refugees found themselves mostly keeping quiet about Atlantis so as to not bring any further judgement upon themselves…  however, there are some who have heard the ‘stories’ only to discount them as fable. Then there are those who could not remain quiet, deciding to face fate head on, and using their considerable knowledge and powers to do good in their new realm. 

Not perfect by any stretch but it’s an example of a way around it. As far as breaking CoX lore - I feel you would not actually be doing that and even if you did, not a big deal. Any toon running around with a certain look, name or backstory is already doing that. Nice of you to be considerate of it though. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 7

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

1 minute ago, KauaiJim said:

As far as breaking CoX lore - I feel you would not actually be doing that and even if you did, not a big deal. Any toon running around with a certain look, name or backstory is already doing that. Nice of you to be considerate of it though. 🙂

Fair point. Thank you.

I have said it many times, and will say it many more.

At this stage in the game's life, canon is more of a suggestion than anything.

If canon doesn't work with the concept/background for your character, then sure, you can change your concept to fit the canon. I prefer, instead, to look at my changes as introducing new pieces of lore, than everyone else can accept or ignore at their leisure. Saves me from a lot of overthinking, and gives me room to flex creatively.

Also, I made an undersea Atlantian-ish character just last night. 

Nauti-Gal!

649154467_Screenshot(461).thumb.png.ad64d6cfdd5aacaba61e76c5182bf791.png

• Like 6

Parallel universes.

My main character's dad is actually Atlantean but traveled through time.  But the Atlantis from his dimension is purely just an ancient city that had alien-like tech that ended up getting destroyed and had nothing to do with under-water or mermaids or anything like that.

Even if you did want to use a kind of underwater theme and want to fit it into the lore, I'm sure there are some that currently exist as the Coralax came from somewhere.  But still, you can make your own ancient underwater race/city and name it something else...or Atlantis whatever.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Vulpoid said:

“Souviens-toi…souviens-toi : rien n’est vrai, tout est permis…”

10 minutes ago, Heroestoday1 said:

I don't know what that means, but I'm thankful for the support! 🙂 

Remember ... remember: nothing is true, everything is allowed

Or at least that's what the internet translator says it is.
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Heroestoday1 said:

Hi there.

Looking for opinions here.

So, I have an idea for an Atlantean character, already picked out the powersets, pool powers, epic pools and the like. I even have a very nice idea of what the general appearance and costume of this character would look like. For the background of the character, however, I wanted to mold them around the lore of CoH on the concept of Atlantis. I did a little digging and came to find out that the original developers stated that Atlantis doesn't exist in the CoH universe. Which begs the question: Would I be breaking any rules set by Paragon Studios or the Homecoming team by claiming that this character hails from Atlantis? Would it be considered lore-breaking if I claimed the character was from Atlantis?

Thanks.

I have seen, a couple of times, NPC dialogue in the last mission of ITF them chatting about Atlantis I swear.

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

People already handwave in Jedi's, Anime characters from mythical kingdom's not mentioned in lore, Space travellers who crash-landed and are stuck in Paragon (saw a Tiger-head character with a backstory naming them a Master of Orion Mrrshan), etc.  Not to mention squads of Cowfolk.

Go Nuts. 

No one has to take your backstory seriously who doesn't want to. 

No one should care if yours and there's disconnect. 

• Like 3

The only contention you might raise is with other players who have Atlanteans but if they're smart, they already have contingencies as to not interfere or be truncated by another possible backstory using Atlantis.

I'm with @MTeague.  Go nuts.  I've seen a gigantic hulk of a man wearing only pink underpants in AP, a clown with rat ears and a reptile tail, and even run my own sparkling "Off Topic" toon (her name is literally 'Off Topic.'  And she sparkles.).  In fact, why not call your Atalantian 'Loreless' just to embrace the flexibility and nutsiness of it?!

I will say, though, that I would love to have an underwater zone akin to Atlantis after it sank into the sea.  But with living people in it, just underwater.  I have a vague, distant memory that this was once an idea the devs were pursuing, on live, but I could be misremembering.   For now, I just content myself with underwater swimming in those sandy cave mishes with the bridges (like in the Montague Midnighers arc). 

• Like 2

To add to @Outrider_01's post about the real-world legend of Mu, the CoX Specific Lore for them is pretty interesting if you wanted to tie some of it into your take on Atlantis. As one of the first civilizations of prehistoric humanity - in-particular being among the first peoples to learn magic on Primal Earth - there's tons of wiggle room for ancient spells, secret lineages, lost inventions... Anything, really. Plus there's the whole angle of the ancient Mu's war with the Coralax for additional undersea bonus points, with the Coralax having lived on the Mu islands before humans even got there in the first place!

Also, I'd take the Live Devs 'Atlantis Doesn't Exist' comment as 'We aren't going to make an underwater zone' & a reflection of personal interest in the concept more than anything else. Implementing underwater combat and movement was a BIG investment hurdle during Live, so between that and dev opinion it never got enough traction to be worked on (and it was easier to say 'It doesn't exist' than constantly explain why we never saw it/got to go there). 'In official lore, Atlantis doesn't exist!' to me just means the concept should include a backstory point of '... and this is why you haven't heard of it before now!' 'Official Lore' has never been a hard and fast requirement as far as players go anyway. Shoot, one of the more well-known stories on the original forums was a player's comedy-romance-drama fiction about their superheroine OC being in a relationship with Positron (despite the fact that in-game, he was beginning to be shipped with Numina).

Embrace as much or as little of the lore as you want - so long as you're having fun playing, you're doing it right.

• Thumbs Up 3

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

3 hours ago, Tahliah said:

I'm with @MTeague.  Go nuts.  I've seen a gigantic hulk of a man wearing only pink underpants in AP, a clown with rat ears and a reptile tail, and even run my own sparkling "Off Topic" toon (her name is literally 'Off Topic.'  And she sparkles.).  In fact, why not call your Atalantian 'Loreless' just to embrace the flexibility and nutsiness of it?!

I will say, though, that I would love to have an underwater zone akin to Atlantis after it sank into the sea.  But with living people in it, just underwater.  I have a vague, distant memory that this was once an idea the devs were pursuing, on live, but I could be misremembering.   For now, I just content myself with underwater swimming in those sandy cave mishes with the bridges (like in the Montague Midnighers arc). 

I would love to see an underwater zone done well, and for there to be actual depth to the water around the world in CoX.  At the same time, I cringe a little, because .... there's VERY few games that did underwater well. Cinematically, physics of moving around, making it look like an actual part of a biosphere, etc. 

Subnautica and Bioshock immediately leap to mind, but those are both very tall orders. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Naraka said:

The only contention you might raise is with other players who have Atlanteans but if they're smart, they already have contingencies as to not interfere or be truncated by another possible backstory using Atlantis.

I've seen this done, too. Between magic, dimensions, etc it was basically "growl at each other like strange dogs for a bit, then get it sorted out."

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 minutes ago, MTeague said:

I would love to see an underwater zone done well, and for there to be actual depth to the water around the world in CoX.

I agree, this would be very cool in my book.  I always enjoyed the 'underwater' stuff in EQ2 (there was actually quite a bit of it) and even just swimming out to get a hidden treasure chest in Tortage (AoC).  I also liked Lumaria (CO) but did not really get around to doing much in that one because the devs were so busy messing up that game.  A lot of MMO's seem to skip it though - most likely due to it being a bit of a pain to design.  Could be awesome in CoX though.  But this is a bit of a tall request for a volunteer staff with so much they are already working on.  Maybe someday... one can dream.  🐳🐋🐬🐟🐠🐡🦈🐙

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)