QoL: Save my password

I mean, I'm on my home computer in my own house. There's no reason not to save my password in the client. Or at least provide the option to un-mask it, so I can see where I typoed and don't have to delete the entire thing each time. Yes, I mistype my password a lot...

To save your password, it would have to store it either in a file on your computer (which a smart hacker with a RAT/backdoor could get access to), or in a salted hash on the server (which would lead to further accusations of misdeed on the part of the GMs by people sowing FUD/trying to drive the community either away from CoX's Phoenix Force-like resurrection or at least to some of the more vanilla-like servers like Rebirth, Reborn, /coxg).

Guest JackRooks

To save your password, it would have to store it either in a file on your computer (which a smart hacker with a RAT/backdoor could get access to), or in a salted hash on the server (which would lead to further accusations of misdeed on the part of the GMs by people sowing FUD/trying to drive the community either away from CoX's Phoenix Force-like resurrection or at least to some of the more vanilla-like servers like Rebirth, Reborn, /coxg).

Yes, because someone is going to go through that trouble to get to a CoH account. And then after they got it .... what would they do with it? If you have a personal enemy willing to go to such lengths to get at a gae you enjoy, you have a far more serious problem then whatever they could do to your characters.

Yes, because someone is going to go through that trouble to get to a CoH account. And then after they got it .... what would they do with it? If you have a personal enemy willing to go to such lengths to get at a gae you enjoy, you have a far more serious problem then whatever they could do to your characters.

It's not about the CoX account, it's about the password itself. A lot of people, especially people old enough to have enjoyed CoX when it was NCSoft's/Cryptic's baby (even before Cryptic broke off and NCNorCal which later became Paragon Studios took over) or older, aren't savvy enough to use separate passwords for everything, especially if they were adults already back then. People like that, that CoX password could also be their Gmail password, their Paypal password, their Patreon password if they're a content creator, their YouTube/Twitch password also if they're a content creator, etc.

It's not about the CoX account, it's about the password itself. A lot of people, especially people old enough to have enjoyed CoX when it was NCSoft's/Cryptic's baby (even before Cryptic broke off and NCNorCal which later became Paragon Studios took over) or older, aren't savvy enough to use separate passwords for everything, especially if they were adults already back then. People like that, that CoX password could also be their Gmail password, their Paypal password, their Patreon password if they're a content creator, their YouTube/Twitch password also if they're a content creator, etc.

I do separate all my passwords these days -- and Chrome knows all of them.  ;)

I mean, I'm on my home computer in my own house. There's no reason not to save my password in the client. Or at least provide the option to un-mask it, so I can see where I typoed and don't have to delete the entire thing each time. Yes, I mistype my password a lot...

Already exists. Open notepad, and type your login, on the next like your password and another line break at its' end (you need to do that for it to read in properly). Save it as resume_info.txt in the same directory where your homecoming.exe is located.

Already exists. Open notepad, and type your login, on the next like your password and another line break at its' end (you need to do that for it to read in properly). Save it as resume_info.txt in the same directory where your homecoming.exe is located.

This is great, except it seems to not be working for me. I added the extra line break (and I tried it without, just to be sure), and CoH puts an extra character in the password at the end on the sign-in screen. I can't see what that character is but I'm guessing it's some kind of line feed or carriage return. I can delete just that character and then the game lets me in, which is a workaround for now, but why would it see that character?

Anyone have a trick for doing this with two accounts (apart from two installations)? Currently I have my password on a sticky note on the desktop for ctrl-c/v and used the same password for both accounts to make it easier. Works OK given I'd never remember the chrome generated pw, but I'm always up for a tip to save a few seconds.

This is great, except it seems to not be working for me. I added the extra line break (and I tried it without, just to be sure), and CoH puts an extra character in the password at the end on the sign-in screen. I can't see what that character is but I'm guessing it's some kind of line feed or carriage return. I can delete just that character and then the game lets me in, which is a workaround for now, but why would it see that character?

I did it just now and it worked.

RESUME_INFO.txt:

Username

Password

Blank Line Here (this is were the cursor ends on this line, no spaces, just the blinking cursor)

(Cursor does NOT go here, no content at all)

Or if you think about like Notepad++

Line 1 Username

Line 2 Password

Line 3

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I did it just now and it worked.

RESUME_INFO.txt:

Username

Password

Blank Line Here (this is were the cursor ends on this line, no spaces, just the blinking cursor)

(Cursor does NOT go here, no content at all)

Or if you think about like Notepad++

Line 1 Username

Line 2 Password

Line 3

Hm, I'm doing the same. I wonder if it's some Windows 10 configuration? Although that seems unlikely. Thanks for taking the time to try it out.

I'm using the default Notepad. Should I try Notepad++?

Hm, I'm doing the same. I wonder if it's some Windows 10 configuration? Although that seems unlikely. Thanks for taking the time to try it out.

I'm using the default Notepad. Should I try Notepad++?

I love Notepad++...it's much more failsafe than Notepad...It'll also show where all the characters are...Obviously you've checked for <space> after your password that you didn't intend?

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I love Notepad++...it's much more failsafe than Notepad...It'll also show where all the characters are...Obviously you've checked for <space> after your password that you didn't intend?

Ok, I grabbed Notepadd++, nice program. It's still happening, and with "Show All Characters" enabled I see no mystery spaces or anything after the password. Lines 1 and 2 end in CRLF (line 3 is blank). I even tried changing it to just LF to see if that made a difference. Same behavior. For whatever reason CoH is adding an extra character of some kind after my password (but not my username) when importing the text file.

I appreciate your help but I don't expect you to diagnose this for me. I'm just posting it in case anyone has happened to see the same behavior and discovered a cause.

This so very much. I work at a software company and just this week a client told me they planned to store their customer's CC numbers in a particular field that was plain text, no hashing, tokens, encryption of any kind. Another client tried to give me a log in to their company's Quickbooks(this is not something I would ever need for my job, ever), and another straight up gave me his password via email and it's a password he uses for everything. People are really, really bad with security.

Aha, figured it out. It's a form of user error. When I set up my game account, I typed in a password without really paying attention to the character limit, which I think is 16 characters. My password was 17, but the system only accepted the first 16. Normally when I sign into the game, I'd type all 17 characters, and once in a while I'd hear that "whoom" sound that indicated I hit the limit, but other times I never noticed it. I think I just chalked it up to me typing so fast. All this time I was typing an extra unnecessary character that wasn't being accepted.

When I added my too-long password to the text file, the entire thing would get pulled into the password field, which would then be flagged as incorrect. It still let me delete characters beyond 16, so I could back out that last character. So the solution was to just use my correct not-too-long password in the text file and everything works.