Critical Strikes ATO proc

Hopeling

my understanding is that it functions like every other proc.  there is a set number of expected procs per minute listed on it and it will happen (roughly) that often.  in this case it is 3 procs per minute.  this will be influenced by the base cooldown of the skill modified by any recharge reduction slotted specifically into that skill.  global recharge bypasses procs per minute functionality.  So, a skill with a cooldown of 20 seconds (after recharge reduction in the skill specifically) would have a 90% chance to activate it (it will always have a 10% chance to not activate).  a skill with a cooldown of 90 seconds would also have a 90% chance of activating it.  a skill with a 10 second cooldown (after recharge reduction the skill specifically) would have a 50% chance to activate it.  for final clarity... if you had a skill with a 20 second cooldown modified by GLOBAL recharge reduction (hasten and set effects typically) down to 10 seconds, that would also have a 90% chance to activate it.

but personally, i think the way to approach it is to slot it into whatever small spammy skill you use a lot and hope it procs right before you use your big skills.  if it procs it procs kind of thing... let it be.

So a hypothetical ‘best case’ is a long recharge attack, which recharges in 18 seconds (after recharge enhancements in the power), which is further reduced as far as possible by global recharge such that it is fired off as often as possible.

For extra credit, do something similar with ‘chance for buildup’ procs.

Note that for best results, it may be necessary to slot in powers that arent taking in-power recharge reduction, so that the impact of global is felt most strongly.  This may necessitate breaking desirable set bonuses.

Interesting.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

The best use case is the one that gets you the most total procs, not the highest chance per use. A 45% chance every five seconds is no worse than a 90% chance every ten seconds. This doesn't inherently favor slow or fast powers; it favors powers that you use on cooldown.

my understanding is that it functions like every other proc.  there is a set number of expected procs per minute listed on it and it will happen (roughly) that often.  in this case it is 3 procs per minute.

Right, but that's how Force Feedback works too, and it gets a chance to proc on every enemy hit. I'm asking if Critical Strikes works the same way: does it roll on activation, or on hit?

I put it in Arc of Destruction, and after using it for aw hile, I suspect it's be per hit because it seems to go off pretty reliably when I'm hitting a crowd, seemingly much more often than the ~30% chance given by the formula. But I haven't tracked exact stats to be sure.

So right now I have this slotted in Lightning Rod which is at about a 22-23 second recharge, and I almost always follow that up with Shield Charge which is on the same cooldown. Is this a good use, or do you think I'd be better served putting it into Thunderstrike, which has a significantly shorter recharge?

Remind me, can Lighting Rod and Shield Charge crit? I haven't played either set since shutdown. If they can crit, you might want it in something else, to get the crit bonus on your telenukes. If not, and if I'm right about the proc chance being per hit, then sure, putting it in a telenuke is fine. With their area factor of 4, the proc chance per target isn't going to be capped out, but if you hit a few targets it will almost always go off.

The ideal situation would be to have the buff up when you cast LR/SC, which would require putting it in something else. Chain Induction or TS would be good choices. But you couldn't have the buff for an alpha strike that way.

I'm basically guessing though, and it won't matter a ton either way.

Since it is 3 procs per minute your best case scenario is in something that you use more than 3 times per minute. Reason being that if you use it fewer than 3 times you won't be able to actually get the 3 procs per minute that you should be getting on average. Why more than 3 times? Because there's a cap for proc chance at 90%, you never have a 100% chance to proc, so in a power that is up every 20s you would have a 90% chance each while with a power that is up every 10s you would have a 50% chance each which is higher in total.

Additionally the power you put it in should be one that you use immediately off cooldown, if you don't do that you're wasting potential proc chances.