Swapping IOs in WW?

DaeHanMusa

Hey, Everyone. Hope all is well with you and your loved ones.

I have heard bits and pieces of the following through "Help" chat, so what's "true"?

Supposedly, you can "swap low level" IO piece-set or Attuned Enhancements for "higher levels" by bidding in the AH.

You craft (let's say) a level 10 then go back and bid for a (let's say) a lvl 40.

Is this true? If so, how does one do this when an item might have "X" bids for the level 10 and the level 40 has "X" bids?

Would I "sell" the level 10 for like a crazy amount for 10 mil then buy "back" at that price to avoid being outbid?

Thanks for any input. Good to know "Fact" vs. "Fiction".

Be well.

Ok.

First of all, certain items in the AH are fungible, or bucketed.  This means that also they may be different on your character, they all go into the same pool in the AH.  And when they come out of that pool, they come out as a specific item.

Example:  all rare invention salvage is in the same pool.  If someone puts up an Alien Blood Sample for sale, the AH considers it to be in the "rare salvage" pool.  If someone else comes in and buys a Pangean Soil, it comes out of that same "rare salvage" pool and is defined as a Pangean Soil for that character.

When it comes to IOs, the pooling occurs by level and by attuned-ness.  So a level 25 Reactive Defenses D/E offered for sale goes into the Reactive Defenses D/E pool.  Someone can buy it as a lvl 25.  Someone can buy it as a lvl 50.  Someone can buy it as an attuned.  When it is bought, it comes out of the Reactive Defenses D/E pool, and is defined by the form in which the buyer bought it at.  Note:  a Reactive Defenses D/E is not equivalent to a Reactive Defenses D/E/R.

Ok, now let's get into the nitty-gritty of how trades in the AH work.  

A character cannot buy or sell to him-, her- or it- self.  But another character on the same account can buy or sell to that character.  Or, a character on a different account can as well.

Now, let's look at how the AH makes trades.  People put up bids (orders to buy) and offers (orders to sell) at various prices.  When a bid comes in, the system determines if there is any offer at or below the bid price.  If so, the orders cross and a trade occurs.  Likewise, when an offer comes in, the system checks if there are any outstanding bids at that price or higher.  If so, again the orders cross and a trade occurs.

I like to think as the order sheet like a set of goal posts.  There are lots of bids on the low end, there is an empty space in the middle, and there are offers on the high end.  

Like this:  ||||_____||||||

Every time a trade occurs, it's at one of those inside posts.  If you sell something at 1 inf, it goes to the highest outstanding bid (which is the right-most upright on the left group) and the trade prints at the level of the bid.  If you bid 1bn for something, it goes to the lowest outstanding offer (which is the left-most upright on the right group) and the trade prints at 1bn.  If both of these cases, the innermost upright makes the trade, and is removed from the system.

So what does this mean for you?

If you want to change a lvl 25 to a level 41, or to an attuned, you sell one and buy the other.  It doesn't have to be the exact same one.  But if you do want to make sure you trade to yourself, it will be cheapest since you will then only pay the 10% AH fee as opposed to paying the AH fee and the bid-offer spread (which is the price difference between those two innermost uprights).

In your example, you can offer your level 10 at 10mm and you can put in a bid at 10mm for the level 40.  If 10mm is a price that is in the middle of the two uprights, then congrats, you just transacted with yourself!

The risk is that it is possible that you sell one at 10mm, but you can't buy one at 10mm; or that you buy one at 10mm, but you can't sell one at 10mm.  So figuring out where that middle price is may be the tough part.  Now if you don't really care about prices, you can sell your level 10 at 1 inf, note the price it sells at, and then bid creep on the level 40 starting at that price and keep going until you buy one.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation.  Please let me know if I can be clearer!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

• 1 month later

That is basically the most illustrated and comprehensive way I have ever seen somebody explain this shit! Because this is so counterintuitive to anything that you believe to know about auction houses. 

Thanks a lot!

Now, with this knowledge, how this would help my marketeering I still have to find out. As everybody who is dealing with The Market knows, the Art Of Rightpricing is not an easy one to master...

That incident involving a nuclear accelerator and a banana… You know… I REALLY don't wanna talk about it!

On 7/2/2021 at 10:04 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

Example:  all rare invention salvage is in the same pool.  If someone puts up an Alien Blood Sample for sale, the AH considers it to be in the "rare salvage" pool.  If someone else comes in and buys a Pangean Soil, it comes out of that same "rare salvage" pool and is defined as a Pangean Soil for that character.

I didn't know that specific bit. Interesting!

OP: this also means that if you want to sell something NOW, put a very low price on it and you will still score the highest bid.  Be warned though that it's not because an item has say, 800 bids that they are all good bids.  Lots and lots of people park lowball bids on alts and just leave them there so you might end up selling something that is worth 5M for only 500K or worse.  (Very popular items are less a risk in that department).  This also means that if you want to be sure you have a certain sale price, you will need to adjust, but doing so means you might not sell fast AND you will pay the ~10% to the system.  It's always a balance of timing, risk and patience.