Longer Battlecry

krj12

24 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

forgetting that there's a sizable faction here for whom humor is a struggle,

I think it's sometimes more  - 1) people reacting to something in general and ignoring the humor, 2) don't know it is intended as humor/sarcasm, or, as always, something else.

I remember one post I replied that you had posted. There was humor involved on your end that may or may not have been intended as humor depending on the intent of the poster, but - due to the discussion point - reacting to what was intended as humor wasn't my reason for replying.

I've had the same kind of reaction the other way around.

Made me think of the times that I felt like I had to <sarcasm> </sarcasm>

Flat out had posts of mine removed for visual sarcasm more than once. I guess they hit home too well or pushed someone's buttons.

Have to "take it with" more than "a grain of salt" around here for sure.

[not sure why a picture of a bottle/glass of wine and cheese on a cutting board is somehow more of an issue than a facepalm gif, but DEVs call]

24 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

I am hardly the only one who, having spent many years trying to be of more than average help to the community

Keep it up. We do our part.

And I know you know 90%+ of our time helping other players is appreciated.

On 8/16/2021 at 5:56 PM, TombTyrant said:

but kindly shove off the presumption and entire judgey attitude.

I think you are reading more into things than you need to.

When someone disagrees, it's not an attack.

When someone tries to help, their help might not be perfect but they are trying to assist you.

If you disagree with someone's help, just post what you think is helpful. It isn't helpful to jump on another player if they aren't in a PVP zone.

Try to take it in that light and everyone gets along better.

Edited by UltraAlt
reminder to self, read post three times before posting ack!

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I suggest:

/bind f10 local "Wow, this is a bit long for a battlecry! I wonder if keybinds are involved?"

Edit text to taste.

And please, folks, use the "principle of charity" and "steelman argument."

We're all heroes here, even the villains. Picture the DCAU Flash meeting the Trickster in the dive bar where his Rogues hang out:

"James, you're off your meds, aren't you?"

"Better off without 'em. Take 'em if I start feeling down."

"You know that's not how the medicine works. You're not well."

"I'm fine. Wanna throw some darts?"

"No. Listen, James, you're wearing the suit again."

"I am? (Looks down at himself) Well, whaddaya know?"

It's a great scene, and it ends with:

Orion: What about your enemy?

Flash: Oh, right. (to the Trickster) Dude, as soon as you finish your drink, turn yourself in.
Trickster: (raising his mug) Got me again, Flash!*

* "Flash and Substance," the fifth episode of the third season of Justice League Unlimited.

Edited by DoctorDitko
Citatations... sigh

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)