The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled

Buggy Movement

EiricEPadraig

My characters are moving in exaggerated manners - if I tell the character to strafe left, they will strafe until they hit a wall. If I use the Q or E keys to spin the charcater's movement, they spin very, very slowly. I am trying to introduce the game to a friend of mine today and would hate for them to come into the game like this and quite honestly it does put a hamper on my own play to boot.聽 聽馃槢

Project Manager, Haphazard Projects

Founder of the L.A.U.G.H. SG

"If you don't laugh at yourself, someone else will laugh at you first!"

17 minutes ago, EiricEPadraig said:

My characters are moving in exaggerated manners - if I tell the character to strafe left, they will strafe until they hit a wall. If I use the Q or E keys to spin the charcater's movement, they spin very, very slowly. I am trying to introduce the game to a friend of mine today and would hate for them to come into the game like this and quite honestly it does put a hamper on my own play to boot.聽 聽馃槢

Do all of your keybinds look normal on this Options tab? Meaning, is anything not doing what it is supposed to be marked as according to the keybind profile?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9047fa52df0ab7e3a8b2424aed0cb7cf.png

If that isn't it, if you restore the default keybinds, does that alleviate the problem?

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Thumbs Up 1

Almost certainly the keyboard driver (which is usually as reliable as an engine block) or some keyboard utility. Is this by chance on a laptop? Many laptops have all kinds of fancy-dancy helper/alt-shift/key combo features that can screw up game interfaces.

Try updating the driver, even if it's ancient, and if you can, put the keyboard/system in "fgame mode" so that the Win key and fancy key functions are disabled.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:聽 GABS Bindfile聽 路聽 WindowScaler聽 路聽 Teleport Guide聽 路聽 and City of Zeroes聽 all at聽 www.Shenanigunner.com

4 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Do all of your keybinds look normal on this Options tab? Meaning, is anything not doing what it is supposed to be marked as according to the keybind profile?

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.9047fa52df0ab7e3a8b2424aed0cb7cf.png

If that isn't it, if you restore the default keybinds, does that alleviate the problem?

Keybinds all look good! And I am going to try restoring defaults right now!

13 minutes ago, EiricEPadraig said:

Keybinds all look good! And I am going to try restoring defaults right now!

I meant to add above that binds are unlikely to be the problem. Assuming a player doesn't mess with the defaults much, it would be very odd for more than one bind to get messed up by an unintended action, and the problem would be persistent and consistent, not an occasional bug.

About the only common way for the default binds to get messed up is going in and out of base editing mode. When you enter (/editbase 1), a block of binds are tagged onto the defaults, overriding the play-UI with controls for moving and placing objects, etc. When you exit (/editbase 0) they are in theory deleted, but I have had cases where a glitch or a crash will leave all or some of them in place. This can also be a problem if you're approaching the limit for number of binds (about 250) or line lengths for individual binds, in which case the tack-on/snip-off action will cause problems.

If you don't have any custom binds, it never hurts to do a /keybind_reset to make sure random key assignments haven't happened. But it's not likely to fix a problem like the OP's, with varying problems in movement.

• Thumbs Up 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:聽 GABS Bindfile聽 路聽 WindowScaler聽 路聽 Teleport Guide聽 路聽 and City of Zeroes聽 all at聽 www.Shenanigunner.com

I have tried both of your suggestions and nothing has changed. Sometimes the characters move just fine, but at random times, they just start reacting to my commands like they have a mind of their own...

18 minutes ago, EiricEPadraig said:

I have tried both of your suggestions and nothing has changed. Sometimes the characters move just fine, but at random times, they just start reacting to my commands like they have a mind of their own...

Is there any chance you're experiening a latency spike when this happens? If you're in game, type "/setgraph #" where the number can be聽1 or 2 and it will display your ping. If it's anything over 300, you'll experience what is known as 'rubber banding' where your character will move a moment after you input your movement command instead of instantly. I usually run at 160 Ping without any issues.聽

Edited by Glacier Peak

This is not a rubber banding issue - I've been playing this game since launch, so I know what that is.聽聽馃槃聽聽

It's like having auto-run turned on, but for every movement key, and it takes a few seconds for the computer to realise that I'm not actually pushing any buttons.

The only thing that is different between yesterday and today is that I finally switched over to the HC Launcher...

And I tried the setgraph; it came up as an unknown command....

Edited by EiricEPadraig
I needed to.
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's almost certainly a system-level issue, nothing to do with the game. You have a keyboard glitch or a conflicting program.

Just as an example, I had some weird behaviors I couldn't pin down until I realized SimpleStickyNotes was hijacking some of the keys even in the game. (I exit it before playing, now.) Look at all the utilities and such you have running and I bet you'll find a conflict. Probably something timed or cyclical like an email check, and that's when the glitches happen.

Edited by Shenanigunner

/netgraph is the command.聽 A little typo up there.

The last time i had wierd things happen ingame was when my cpu cooler died.聽 Thermal throttling had me all confused as the game worked and then throttled and started working again as it cooled.聽 A software problem is usually to blame,聽 but dont rule out a hardware issue.

• Thumbs Up 1