Which Primary and Secondary for this theme

Kassadora

I understand some powersets are better when played as a Scrapper and some as a Brute.  I read that Shield Defense and Electric Melee are better due to the way some AOE attacks use pets and that means base damage (which is low for Brutes and High for Scrappers).  So, I hope the powersets I am going to list are Brute friendly, please advise if not.

My theme is power or energy and when I say this I don't mean those specific sets but those terms as they relate to our normal lives.  So, the three sets I like are Energy, Electric, and Radiation for both primary and secondary sets.  So which combination of those powers would make for a good end game brute that can do good damage ST and AOE as well as be survivable with good defense and resistance (I will have to take tough and weave).  I am not looking for a farmer but a Brute that will do group content and ITFs, etc.  Farming is not for me but I don't mind sitting in a farming group as it allows me to spam the help channel and learn more about the game.

So, I thought of ELEC/RAD or maybe EN/ELEC....Of note, I have a Rad/Rad and an EN/EN brute already, both in their low 20's.  I will probably start an Elec/Elec Brute too just to try and get a feel for the sets....but I feel I am wasting my time in doing this as I won't really get a good feel until I can get their endurance issues under control.  Also, I want to stay away from /EN as it is mainly a defense oriented set and it would be harder (I think) to build my resists to high levels from nearly nothing.  I believe Elec and Rad have a better starting point for resists; additionally, Defense seems to be easier to soft cap (at 45%).  So, there you have it....any recommendations with the reasoning is greatly appreciated!

You pretty much nailed it.  Elec and Rad Armor are resist armors, so they're better on brutes and tankers, but even though it's defense based Energy Aura is very strong.  You can build for soft capped defenses for resist armors, but they'll get easily stripped by debuffs.  Defense armors have DDR to keep that from happening.  Huge fan of Elec Armor.  Solid resistances against end-game enemies, a damage aura, heal and endurance clickies.

Elec Melee is best on stalkers because they have strong ST without giving up AOE.  Rad Melee visuals leave more of your fists visible than Energy Melee, and gives you a random heal.  All six of the powersets mentioned are good, but since you've already used four of them it makes sense to go Elec/Elec.

I was literally about to post that Electric Melee is best on Stalkers when Omega  Force beat me to the punch.

I've played Elec and Rad Armor both and you can get either to work well, though I am slightly more familiar with Elec Armor since I've played it more times (and the joy of ignoring sappers and those using Energy attacks would be the best thing about it you ignored that being able to recover Endurance, Heal, and +Recharge are all part of the Elec Armor package).

As for theme... 

Just because a powerset says its Energy Melee does not mean you cannot make use another powerset and costume choices to fit your theme. Not saying anything negative about Energy Melee but you could use Street Justice or Super Strength, choose an Aura that surrounds your fists and Voila!...you have an energy themed character.

As example, my Fire/Bio Sentinel thematically produces flamelike psychoplasmic constructs and between Bio Armor and the Bio Plasma Aura I play up that his abilities are psychic in nature.

Edited by Erratic1

Thank you two for the responses.  I wasnt a fan of the aesthetics of the radiation armor but could always change it.  I do agree that I can still keep my theme with SS or StJ or even Staff.  I really dont know much about StJ, is it kung-fooy or more like SS?  I want to make a large bodied hulk and doing pirouettes would look.....odd to say the least.  Would either of those be a better choice over Elec Melee?  SS, StJ, or Staff?

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, Kassadora said:

lol, i went in game and looked at the customization tab for StJ and it is pretty cool.  What makes it any different than SS though?

Better AoEs and no Rage crash. 😁

Mind you, I really, seriously enjoy my SS/Bio brute.

Edited by Erratic1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

Better AoEs and no Rage crash. 😁

Foot Stomp is, *by far*, the single best AOE available, in a superhero game (Mighty Judgement comes in a close second), IMHO.

Just my $.02, YMMV.

P.S.  Back in 2004, when I was street sweeping with my Kin/Dark Defender in Independence Port? maybe, I met an Inv/SS tank and we teamed for a bit.  The first time she activated Knockout Blow, I was hooked...and I hadn't even seen Foot Stomp, yet.  I immediately went and rolled my namesake (Stone/SS), and once he got Granite Armor and Foot Stomp, my word, what a sight.

Edited by PLVRIZR
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

7 hours ago, PLVRIZR said:

Foot Stomp is, *by far*, the single best AOE available, in a superhero game (Mighty Judgement comes in a close second), IMHO.

Just my $.02, YMMV.

I love Foot Stomp. Refer to it as, "Putting my foot DOWN!"

But I was referring to the fact that SS only gets one damaging AoE.

Edited by Erratic1