Dominator Archetype sets seem limited

cohRock

My elec/elec dominator just turned 50 and was looking forward to slotting the Acendency of the Dominator set (and eventually upgraded to Superior) in Tesla Cage.  The set bonuses are  good (listing for Superior version; normal values are lower by about 25%):

1. 4% global damage
  2. 8% global duration in immobilize and sleep; 4% duration in other mez powers
  3. 15% accuracy
  4. 10% recharge
  5. 5% ranged defense; 2.5% energy and negEnergy

That said, the actual power enhancement offer no direct damage except for the aforementioned global damage bonus and a +damage proc.  This makes the set a poor candidate for Tesla Cage, IMO.  The only power I'd consider it for is Paralyzing Blast, but I only have that 3-slotted (two accs and a hold).  I don't want to respec and add a two or three slots to a long recharge power, nor do I want to cripple a moderate damage power like Tesla Cage.  If he had taken Chain Fences, its damage is so low that not buffing it would be acceptable, but that is the one primary power he didn't take, plus I would normally just three-slot something like that with two accs and an immob.

I'd be happy if it offered a little over 50% damage, like the pet sets which offer procs for pet defense or resistance.  That way the set could buff both the control aspect and damage aspect of a power.

The other Dom. Archetype set is Dominating Grasp, and it likewise offers no damage to the power in which it is placed.  I've pretty much decided that for a dominator, the archetype sets are lame and not worth the bother (at least with electric).  Please let me know of your experience with them.  Maybe there is something I am not seeing.  If there are two archetype sets, why not have at least one of them buff the power's damage?

Edited by cohRock
added 50% damage paragraph
  • Like 1

-- Rock

ascendancy is a good set, i put it in dominate and it procs often, not fussed about any damage bonuses as i have attacks for that purpose

the other dom ATO is not that great in my view and i haven’t used it

you could slot ascendancy enough to get your +rech set bonus and then throw in a damage IO for +42% DMG

• Like 2

Wouldn't be too worried about slotting Tesla Cage for damage. That's what your entire secondary is for. In comparison the damage a single target hold offers is meh.

Tesla Cage is for disabling that +4 boss who is beating you up. Secondary is for then dismembering their helpless arses. 

So 5 acendency + 1 other (purple hold proc or lockdown) is my favoured slotting. Make it good at the thing it is good at (hold). Your secondary can deal the damage.

Dom grasp is indeed crap, although can be useful for frankenslotting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carnifax said:

So 5 acendency + 1 other (purple hold proc or lockdown) is my favoured slotting. Make it good at the thing it is good at (hold). Your secondary can deal the damage.

Dom grasp is indeed crap, although can be useful for frankenslotting.

Thanks.  I see that the Lockdown set has a proc offering a chance for +2 hold, but what is the "purple hold proc"?  The purple hold set (Entomb) has a proc offering chance for absorb, and other than the orange Lockdown, I can't find a hold proc in a purple sets that can go in Tesla Cage.

Also, do you know the %chance for Lockdown's proc?

Edited by cohRock

-- Rock

3 minutes ago, cohRock said:

Thanks.  I see that the Lockdown set has a proc offering a chance for +2 hold, but what is the "purple hold proc"?

The damage proc from the purple set in holds. Or, if you're on a budget, one of the other procs in hold sets. 

Not sure on the proc rate of lockdown. Honestly if you end up perma-dom you're probably better off with a damage proc (since Domination holds are mag 6 anyway)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cohRock said:

Thanks.  I see that the Lockdown set has a proc offering a chance for +2 hold, but what is the "purple hold proc"?  The purple hold set (Entomb) has a proc offering chance for absorb, and other than the orange Lockdown, I can't find a hold proc in a purple sets that can go in Tesla Cage.

unbreakable constraint chance for smashing damage is the purple proc you’re thinking of

Ascendancy is a very good set.  Like @MoonSheep I slot that whole set into my most used lead in ST control like Dominate.  The damage boost it gets you is quite nice and the bonuses are great too.  The other set does need some work.  I wouldn't have a problem if they reconfigured that set into an assault set that could be slotted into damage powers.  

• Like 2

Agreed. Adding some damage enhancement would be very welcome, as would somehow getting ATO sets into the secondary.

Also, when slotting a Dominator, my first goal is +recharge. This means that I have skipped Dominating Grasp either completely, or only used the Fiery Orb proc because of theme.

Ideas for  Dominating Grasp:

change 5-slot recovery bonus into a +recharge bonus

Change the Rech/Chance for Fiery Orb enhancement to Damage/Chance for Fiery Orb