The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Active vs Passive Powers for Some Special Enhancements

OceanusCoH

I have a question about some enhancements that "grant powers".  It seems like some give bonuses wherever they are slotted, but some only work with activation of a power.  Is this right?

For which of the following would it matter if I put it in an active power or a passive power?

1) Numina's +Regen/Recovery

2) Panacaea's +Hit Points/Endurance

3) Preventative Medicine's Chance for Absorb

4) Phase Shifter's Chance for End

All of those work in "Auto" powers like Health, Stamina, or similar +HP, +Regen, or +Recovery powers from armor sets or epic/patron pools.  Generally speaking they're more commonly slotted in those than in clicks or auras.  Mostly for slot efficiency.  For example: there are a whole gamut of toons that can drop a Performance Shifter +End into Stamina's default slot and call that slotting done.

Edited by InvaderStych

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

23 minutes ago, OceanusCoH said:

I have a question about some enhancements that "grant powers".  It seems like some give bonuses wherever they are slotted, but some only work with activation of a power.  Is this right?

For which of the following would it matter if I put it in an active power or a passive power?

1) Numina's +Regen/Recovery

2) Panacaea's +Hit Points/Endurance

3) Preventative Medicine's Chance for Absorb

4) Phase Shifter's Chance for End

Put most of those in autos or toggles.

Preventive Medicine is the exception here. You can put it in a power you never use (Experimental Injection or Spirit Ward are good examples) and it will still proc as if it was in Health or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/22/2021 at 10:27 AM, arcane said:

Put most of those in autos or toggles.

Preventive Medicine is the exception here. You can put it in a power you never use (Experimental Injection or Spirit Ward are good examples) and it will still proc as if it was in Health or whatever.

Interesting.  Thank you.  So if I'm understanding you, I can put Preventative Medicine in Soul Transfer and it will still work, but Phase Shifter won't.

The Numina's is what is called in the HCwiki as a proc 120.  It will work in click powers (as well as toggles and autos).  Basically proc 120's work for 120 seconds after the power is cast/activated.  So in a click for you to always benefit you need to be able to use it every 120 seconds or less.  I once used it in Healing Aura on a very slot tight solo Empathy build.  Dropped Numina's in HA and Miracle in Health.

Safest (as Best is both subjective and build dependent) is to use them in an auto power that's not going to be grayed out at whatever level you'll be running when exemped as low as you might go.  Which is why Health is such a common choice.

The other thing to note is Performance Shifter is not a unique IO.  In my Claws/SR it's in both Stamina and Physical Perfection for example.  And my BS/Regen could conceivably add it into Quick Recovery as well.